Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are you different? Individual?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
11 days ago
Just like everyone else.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
11 days ago
euro likes the word 'speshul' (sp?)
Everyone would like to think they are (surely).
It's nice if you can find someone who makes you feel that you are.

Pup thinks I'm amazing.
Guess that'll have to do.
Samx
Samx Male
11 days ago
The illusion prevails that we are individuals and different from everybody else, wereas in fact,, we all do exactly the same thing on a daily basis and can be compared to a crowd of sheep. The only difference is our individual thinking.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
11 days ago
I disagree Sam and you are a good example of an "individual".
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 days ago
Do we Sam? Not everyone lives like that,not everyone looks the same, dresses the same, or lives life robotic, people have different styles, tastes cultures,hobbies interests and lifestyles.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 days ago
I'm told I'm different, that the world couldn't cope with two of me blah blah, I'd quite like to be ordinary, not classified or othered, just allowed to get on with life as I am, nor do I want to be patronised, belittled or gaslit.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 days ago
I get told the same..
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
11 days ago
Me too. I like being different.
lindy
lindy Female
11 days ago
always have been ...I did try to be 'normal' [whatever that is!] but gave up many moons ago  ;-).  Not one to follow the herd.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 days ago
It's usually my nan that gives me the most grief..  lol, doesn't like it if I have red hair, or green hair.. or scruffy boots.. accuses me of having cigarette ends stuck to my bellbottoms.. it's not true.. not true!
Molly
Molly Female
11 days ago
I feel different in so many ways, clothes, music, hobbies and when someone says I'm a bit strange I take that as a complimrnt.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 days ago
Seems like everyone who's answered feels different, often because they're treated and told they're different, I wish others would butt out and just let us be.
eurostar
eurostar Female
11 days ago
I.m like everyone else .........different. if we were all the same we,d be clones, not human.lolJust look at the tiny world os mse....hardly ever get two people with exactly the same opinion.

Lol
Samx
Samx Male
11 days ago
I was referring more to our daily routines. Getting up, toileting, breakfasting, being active in one way or another, lunching, being active, getting home, dinner, leisure activity, toileting, sleep. The thinking part includes the individual action we take: food, fashion, activities, leisure, etc.
lindy
lindy Female
11 days ago
I worry with the progression of AI clones will be the least of our worries....robotic springs to mind.   
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
10 days ago
We need to be as different as possible making cloning too hard. I don't want another me LOLOL
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
10 days ago
Lindy, I have a frequent saying at work when busy and short staffed; "I'm just popping into the [supermarket] cloning machine."

Hopefully I get to retire before I get replaced by a robot!
lindy
lindy Female
10 days ago
Yep...apparently the guy who makes sex dolls has made support workers and soldiers.  I hope I'm not on the planet when these take over.  
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
10 days ago
When I'm working with the homeless I'm still surprised at some of the stories they have to tell and how individual their personalities are even when brought together with so many sharing the same life circumstances.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
10 days ago
Everyone has a story.
lindy
lindy Female
10 days ago
It was Mr Jung who said that everyone had a story - find that story - work with that story.  It certainly is a privilege to hear a persons story.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
10 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
I wonder if AI, clones or robots would work in countries where they have a much larger sense of collective identity, countries like China and less so in countries where the emphasis is on individual identities like Britain?
lindy
lindy Female
10 days ago
maybe WH.But the more I see folk with their head permanently in a phone and every device connected to the www I wonder how longer individual identities will last.

Help with conversations