Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Can you drive?

How would you cope if you lost your driving licence?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
11 days ago
Cycle?
leogirl
leogirl Female
11 days ago
i could drive and I had a nice little car up to 2 years ago  Alas, I am not capable of driving any more so it`s the bus pass , the community bus or a  taxi that gets me around.  . it`s a bit difficult at times to get used to it. but it least I am not a liability on the road . Not owning a car saves me £ 3500,- a year in petrol, road tax, garage bills and services, ,insurance,  parking tickets and depreciation.  
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
11 days ago
I wouldn't be happy to lose my licence but I would cope socially. Buses for short trips and more walking might do me good. Long distances I usually go by train or plane so no difference there.
My work which involves a lot of driving would be over but although I enjoy it I'm old enough to retire and I'd find plenty to do.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
11 days ago
I didn't learn yo drive until my late 20s.
I got fed up with waiting for others to get me places, and as I had 2 children by then it was becoming increasingly difficult.
I couldn't wait to get my licence!
A few years ago, I had a double fracture in my right wrist. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks.
Ig drove me nuts getting the bus and relying on others again. Although the bus driver was very helpful dropping us right outside our house.
When the plaster came off, I got in the car and drove for ages because I'd missed it so much.
I'm a famously bad passenger!
My present car is a bit boring, but I didn't have the means to keep the Alfa because the damn thing was always needing work! (Oh, but it flew!)

Mum was really upset when she had to give up her licence. Not because she was unsafe, but she couldn't afford to keep her lumbering old Merc on the road.
She used her bus pass a lot. Sometimes just to get out for company.
I hope that's a long way off for me.
lindy
lindy Female
11 days ago
omg...don't even go there.  I would be devastated.  
Samx
Samx Male
11 days ago
It would be difficult, but I have been preparing for the day by, over time, increasing the size of my buggy and living near the town centre.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 days ago
I'd get one of those super-duper mobility scooters, that have 4x4 and the option of a trailer.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
11 days ago
A 4x4 mobility scooter with a trailer sound like a dangerous combination.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 days ago
You don't have to have the trailer attached, if I was off roading, taking Fearn for a walk then I wouldn't need a trailer, but I would need 4x4.
Molly
Molly Female
11 days ago
I don't drive and I'm happy with public transport although I've had to study it a bit since moving to a new area. Most of those I hear complaining about getting from A to B are car drivers.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
11 days ago
I'd be lost without a car because I work shifts when there are no buses.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
11 days ago
Oh yeah, I wouldn't be able to get to work without a car.
How did I forget that?
Mazer
Mazer Male
11 days ago
I can drive but living in London I don't bother with a car. I do borrow my brothers or hire a taxi at times. Travelling on the riverbus down the Thames is very pleasant compared to the roads.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 days ago
Maybe those of us car drivers who complain about lack of public transport, would like to have the option of not having a car? There are many places round here where not having a car means you walk miles to the nearest shop bus stop or train station, then you've got the problem of carrying anything you buy back with you. Not everywhere has brilliant internet and delivery services, not every supermarket delivers either.
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
11 days ago
I wouldn't want to be without a car but if it was forced on me then I would obviously cope.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
10 days ago
I wouldn't want to be without a car but if it was forced on me then I would obviously cope.

As we all would. Intelligent humans can usually cope.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
10 days ago
I'm the same as others and dread the thought of not having a car but I would manage. I wouldn't resort to a bike lol.
Geone
Geone Male
9 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
I can't drive but cycle a lot.. lol!! Greener and much cheaper lol!
Mazer
Mazer Male
9 days ago
But makes your legs tire more quickly lol
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
9 days ago
Cycling isn't really practicle in this bit of Wales, (or any other parts I've experienced), you'd spend most of your time wet, or being blown off your bike in a gale, or both.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
9 days ago
Cycling enables you to travel 7 x further than walking - for same amount of energy

Commuting to my first office job I cycled a 20 mile round trip in all weathers for a total of 3 years - incl rain/snow.

Alternative was public transport costing 1/3rd of my net salary.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
9 days ago
In many places, public transport isn't even a consideration.
My shifts vary too much.
I could probably either get there, or get back - but not both!
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
9 days ago
That is the downside of some Supermarkets being open 24/7 - and in my area many Express type outlets are open to 11.00 pm or midnight.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
9 days ago
If I didn't have my car I would definitely hand in my notice and work elsewhere.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
9 days ago
Bus/train drivers are also car dependent due to shift working.

A mate of mine used to be a bus driver - and on the early shift the problem was hunting around the side streets to find a parking place - cos most householders were still in bed so too many cars blocking potential spaces.

Help with conversations