Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Russian mercenaries fighting Putin's battle in Ukraine using convicts.

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
13 days ago
The mercenary group Wagner is being funded by more than $100million per month. The group is made up of 10,000 contractors and 40,000 convicts recruited from Russian prisons. North Korea supply the weapons to Wagner.
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
13 days ago
Now do mercenaries from Europe including the UK.
A few of them have been killed so I hear....
Molly
Molly Female
13 days ago
An organised group of 50,000 well armed convicts fighting as mercenaries is very scary.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
The trade of mercenaries is becoming very popular all over the world, including Britain. How can anyone maintain sending troops, or mercenaries, to Iraq, Afghanistan and other places thousands of miles away as being legitimate and is defending this country? The Russians just stepped further, by sending convicted murderers and other criminals (less need to train) to do the dirty jobs and die for them. As far as they are concerned, it’s a good thing, killing two birds with one stone. They no longer have to be feed them in prison and if they die, not much is lost. It shows yet again how little politicians, of any kind, care about the people they supposed to represent. Well done to the world!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
Haven't we supplied hoards of weapons to Russia? Did anyone see the video of the Russian mercenary who switched sides and joined Ukraine? Ukraine killed him with a hammer. Don't Ukraine have the Azov Battalion? The thing is, US and the West keep sending more and more weapons to help out, and of course Putin is going to react and strengthen his army. Again it's going to go on and on and on.. until peace talks. 
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
I'm surprised that the Wagner group haven't been proscribed as a terrorist organisation?
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
Of course a fighting force, of any kind, can never be called terrorists, because it would mean and would have to be accepted by the country involved that their “military operation“ is illegal. After all one side calls them terrorists and the other, freedom fighters. How twisted has this world become?
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
13 days ago
An organised group of 50,000 well armed convicts fighting as mercenaries is very scary.

In a nutshell. There is no defending it.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
Russia have used mercenaries as far back as the 15th century apparently from all across Europe. 

As early as the late 15th century, the Russian army began to depend more and more on foreign mercenaries. Unlike those who had come before, these fighters were often from Western Europe and their arrival signaled extraordinary changes to the Russian armed forces. Previously, Russia had imported these soldiers of fortune from Scandinavia or the southern steppes.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
https://www.rbth.com/history/326410-how-westerners-shaped_russian-army
Maglorian
Maglorian Male
13 days ago
All's fair in love and war. Imagine if these Mercenaries were Albanian, the gutter tabloids would be perplexed.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
Well there does seem to be an increase of Albanian hatred stories at the moment too...
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
13 days ago

There will always be some who defend those who murder
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
Yes Looking at this 2020 report on Human Rights crimes in Ukraine, I suppose you're right CB! there are always those who are going to support those who murder.

Significant human rights issues included: unlawful or arbitrary killing; torture and cases of cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment of detainees by law enforcement personnel; harsh and life-threatening conditions in prisons and detention centers; arbitrary arrest or detention; serious problems with the independence of the judiciary; abuses in the Russia-led conflict in the Donbas, including physical abuse of civilians and members of armed groups held in detention facilities; serious restrictions on free expression, the press, and the internet, including violence, threats of violence, or unjustified arrests or prosecutions against journalists, censorship, and blocking of websites; refoulement of refugees; serious acts of corruption; lack of investigation of and accountability for violence against women; violence or threats of violence motivated by anti-Semitism; crimes involving violence or threats of violence targeting persons with disabilities, members of ethnic minority groups, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or intersex persons; and the existence of the worst forms of child labor.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-country-reports-on-human-rights-practices/ukraine/
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
13 days ago

There will always be some who defend those who murder

I think the atrocities by Putin's forces were bad enough but these mercenaries are scraping the bottom of the barrel
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
You know Ukraine are armed to the teeth now, and you know Putin will be driving up his forces ready too... everytime Ukraine receive more and more billions and more weaponry, more support, it's a threat to the other side and you'll get a retaliation, or a response, I'm not surprised in the least he's increasing his numbers, however if he's taking prisoners out of jail as suggested, then is he short on the numbers to need to do that? I don't know, but to think that the whilst one side is preparing and strengthening their defences, isn't it silly to think that the other side wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing? nobody is actually saying stop and come to an agreement are they. 
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
13 days ago
The mercenary group Wagner is being funded by more than $100million per month. The group is made up of 10,000 contractors and 40,000 convicts recruited from Russian prisons. North Korea supply the weapons to Wagner

The fact the mercenaries are so well organised and well funded the Ukrainians will suffer more than ever.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
Fluff, who invaded whom? Who is attacked Russia? or the Ukraine? Are you that much left-wing, or even communist, as to take sides with Putin?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
I'm not on any side Sam, not at all, I've said I can see why Putin felt pressured to move in after pressured from the US and NATO, doesn't mean I condone it, but America have been controlling this from the start with NATO support, manipulating and puppeteering the whole thing. Convinced of that, a Proxy war. They knew Putin would move in eventually. You don't see the US and NATO pouring that many billions into other wars, throwing weapons into the mix... America are fighting Russia and using Ukraine to do it without getting hands dirty. It's disgusting. And every move and donation provokes a further retaliation. Yes of course Putin will do, the same as Ukraine will. Its a WAR. And it won't stop until there's discussions of new agreements and peace. Now Zelensky has added extras into the mix, he wants to also take back Crimea. This will go on for longer with added ajendas. Added death and added requests for more money more weapons. All because America want to f**k Russia. That's what's basically happening.If people aren't mature enough to read and understand my point of view without sticking a commie badge on me that's on them. 
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
And now Boris Johnson has recently taken a loan out from his friend at the BBC of 800,000 and the next thing you know he's flown to war torn Ukraine.. what is THAT all about? .... what's being arranged there?
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
From your comment, it is clear that you are in support of Russia. I ask who invaded whom. You did not answer. Russia, illegally, annexed the Crimea a few years back. The Crimea was part of the Ukraine. Everyone would have left it at that, if Russia wouldn’t have attacked Ukraine itself. It’s not surprising the Ukraine wants the Crimea (an important port and strategical place) back, after having and still suffers appalling losses of power stations, housing, industry, farmland (the breadbasket of Eastern Europe) and people. Russia has not lost any of that.
I will never defend America or Britain, as both have been warmongers and underhand activists for decades, causing trouble in many places. In this case I support the support that the west is giving to the Ukrainians, to defend their country. And so should you!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
Clearly you don't undertand sam. Because without interference and pressure from the US and the west, this could have been negotiated and worked out long before this to prevent but it wasnt. I don't believe Russia would have moved into Ukraine at all Sam, without Instigated pressure that manipulated the situation. So Putins movements have been heavily influenced and affected by that interference, pressure and manipulation.More more people are starting to wake up to this now. This proxy war.

Don't tell me who to support. Its isnt a bloody football match, its real life and death. I'm not having that from someone who submits open prejudices upon immigrants. You wanted to drop.bombs on the innocent boat people remember? Not very nice.

I think countries should back down from pouring anything else in to this war and demand peace talks betrwwn Zelensky and Putin to save lives. That's my take on it. That's what should happen.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
This is my last message for tonight. Okay, let Putin takeover Ukraine and then the rest of the ex-USSR countries, rebuild the iron curtain and suppress the eastern countries freedoms. Remember Putin is an ex-KGB officer, who has been indoctrinated to the core by Stalinist ideology, through and through. His ideal is to rebuild the USSR, no matter the cost!
It is rather cheap of you, to confuse issues with comments made in different contexts, in an attempt to shut me up. It won’t happen! Good night.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
13 days ago
"I will never defend America or Britain, as both have been warmongers and underhand activists for decades, causing trouble in many places."

No Samx, as long as you get your UC, PIP, housing benefit and mobility you have no need to defend this country you live in and that protects you!

Andy Mac

Help with conversations