Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Is Cliff Richard still the best thing since sliced bread?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
13 days ago
I was reading that the Cliff Richard calendar earned him almost a million pounds last year. He topped last year's music calendar charts beating Taylor Swift and Little Mix among many others.

Do you like Cliff?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
Is Cliff Richard still the best thing since sliced bread?

Was he ever?

OK, he was handsome when younger, though I'm not sure he ever liked women.
I saw him in his usual Christmas video.
I prayed he wouldn't make one next year, and switched it off before the end!
I think it's time he retired, along with Elton and Paul McCartney.
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
13 days ago
I love it when people call him Cliff Richards. That's what old grannies usually say....."Ooh I love that Cliff Richards".
Connected to Cliff, if you fancy a laugh and a cringe do a search online to find a video from the early 80's I think it is of Cilla Black singing "All night long" from her Christmas special TV show.
It is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen....
Molly
Molly Female
13 days ago
Tell the truth Hierophant I bet you're whistling Mistletoe and Wine right now.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
Like numerous others, Cliff should have retired a long, LONG time ago. Despite proof of the country, many of them think they still can do the job, but are absolutely ridiculous and look stupid in their attempts. A decent person knows when s/he has reached the pinnacle of their career and depart with dignity.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
What GoW said, I never liked him and found something a bit icky about him, to me he always looked a bit plastic and to good to be true.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
13 days ago
So earning a million pounds last year was a waste of his time lol.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
No.
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
13 days ago
Regardless of what we think of him there is no denying his popularity which has been amazing by any standards especially over so many years.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
Justin Bieber is popular, doesn't make him good. 
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
13 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
Is Cliff someone else you hate? What's it got to do with Bieber?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
13 days ago
I dont' see your point on popularity, many artists are popular to their fans, but doesn't mean everyone respects that. 
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
13 days ago
For many people who choose showbiz as a career - it can be pretty precarious financially so no surprise that they keep working till they drop - though Cliff himself is obvs pretty well off.

His various homes also will have expensive running costs - and once you get accustomed to a certain lifestyle you need to keep earning to sustain it.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
Ah, we're back to hedonistic adaptation.
Never thought I'd use hedonistic in relation to Cliff though.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
13 days ago
I have to say i like Cliff and always have done, he was great in ThunderBirds as a puppet, how he managed to play a puppet was amazing, mind you didn’t someone say he was a bit plastic?

I have to also say i love sliced bread especially the brown seeded 800g loaf i have, yum ha ha

Andy Mac
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
13 days ago
Cliff has never produced my kind of music and I've never heard one of his songs played at any our wild summer bbqs but I've always had a sneaking admiration for the man. He has lasted in the business a very long time and is still popular and still producing what his fans want. A true star.
Greencare
Greencare Female
12 days ago
Not my cup of tea either but you do have a point Mark. Cliff is a star.
avenuearry
avenuearry Male
12 days ago
Well I will admit I enjoy his music and have seen him live in concert 9 times over the years and have tickets booked for his concert at the Royal Albert Hall later this year, and when he does a tour nearly every concert he does always seems to sell out.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
He gives me the creeps to be honest. Tied to too much scandal for my liking. Fair few accusations against him from men in the past, I don't buy the Christianity mask . 
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
12 days ago
You seem to hate everyone Pixiefluff unless they have a beard and vote for the extreme left and on several occasions you have mentioned the men of mse giving you the creeps. Calm down and join the world.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
No, I don't hate everyone at all CB. You seem to ASSUME a lot about me. When NINE people come forward with similar accusations of sexual abuse against someone, even though there's insufficient evidence to convict, your word against theirs kind of thing, which is a very hard case to prove indeed, that's still NINE people saying the same thing. That's enough for me not to like or trust the person in question. He can sing Christmas Time with all he likes with a choirboy section, I wouldn't let him read my grandchildren a story put it that way.
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
12 days ago
He wasn't charged with anything because there was no evidence to show he was guilty of anything. I can't stand him but that doesn't make him guilty.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
Nope because of insufficient evidence, cases like that are hard to prove from back in the day. Still Nine people come forward from different areas, with accusations, nine men, not connected to each other. That's enough for me to not trust a person. 
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
Ok on the flipside, if you were dating someone, and it came to light that nine people had previously accused them of rape or sexual assault, despite not being convicted would you trust them, around friends or family? just wondering?
Majorsam
Majorsam Male
12 days ago
What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Help with conversations