Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

So, do you think you know your fellow posters?

Really?

G-O-W
G-O-W Female
14 days ago
Have you formed views and opinions of those who post regularly on here?
Do you think you know 'em?

One meet surprised me at how different people were in the flesh as opposed to online.
For a start they looked different!

The sweet older lady.
The man / woman with attitude.
[Insert other stereotypes here] ....

Can anyone tell me where my glasses are? I'm on easy readers, having lost them shortly after reading docs after work. EXPECT TYPOS!
Greencare
Greencare Female
14 days ago
Consciously or sub-consciously I have probably formed an opinion of all the regular posters. The more they post the stronger those opinions become. That is natural.
I've met a few who have looked different to their photos and one in particular who looked amazingly better than his photo.
Personality wise I didn't get any surprised although one who wrote reams of text on here didn't have much to say face to face but that was ok.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
14 days ago
There was a time on MSE when i could have answered yes, i know the people i'm interacting with on the site as we were meeting regularly at meets which were held most weekends but i can't say i know that many regulars on here now.

You've left you glasses were you last wore them, in the kitchen, again! lol

Andy Mac
lindy
lindy Female
14 days ago
I have formed a few opinions but then I came back on here after a 'few' years and not really surprised to see those opinions are still quite valid...but then I am more tolerant lol.  I never went to any meets and I met a couple of lovely folks back then and through fb and insta they are still around.
Samx
Samx Male
14 days ago
It is human nature to form opinions of everybody and everything we encounter. It is sad however, that MSE no longer arranges meetings, where these opinions could be confirmed, or else, revised.
It is peculiar, especially from the female fraternity, that’s the photos do not seem to reflect actuality. Another human trait trait is the need to look healthy, young and positive, rather than reflect reality.
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
14 days ago
You think you can identify the trolls, but others can be confusing, switching from hot to cold in a couple of posts

Trevor
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
14 days ago
We all think we can identify the trolls but when they are named everyone has different opinions on that subject.
eurostar
eurostar Female
14 days ago
I get thrown by bodies when I.ve been to a meet, lol cos we only see a face on here when I meet someone I.ve imagined the body  got it wrong so many times, lol.i.m like jeez you,re tall/small/skinny/large etc cos I,ve got it so wrong.lolAndy mac looks like Andy mac

Minnie looks like minnie.

Can't think of any others who I.ve met 
asteer
asteer Female
14 days ago
Good God I hope some aren't as argumentative in real life as they are on here.
The_Snow_Covered_Fool
The_Snow_Covered_Fool Male
14 days ago
Most people I've met from MSE in real life have never been far of what they look like in their photos.Has for personalities (sp) most have been very pleasant.

Chris.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
I've never been to a meet, I think people miss the nuances in written conversation, theres no light in the eyes, no wrinkle of a cheek, no hidden smile. I do have mental pictures of people on here, whether they'd match the picture in real life I have no idea.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
14 days ago
asteer Female
2 hours ago
Good God I hope some aren't as argumentative in real life as they are on here.

I very much doubt it!

Andy, I've looked in the kitchen, I'll look again.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
14 days ago
If they are not in the kitchen then they'll be in the place where you last had them. have you tried the top of your head? lol

I have heard of stranger things i mean a woman the other day asked me, "Have you got the time on yer cock"?

I said, "No, love but i've got a watch on my wrist"! lol

Andy Mac
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
14 days ago
I've only been here for just under two years so I know nothing of what the site was like prior to that but maybe my fresh eyes are a good thing. I have formed opinions of which other members I would like to date or just meet and those I wouldn't want to spend any time with at all. Most of my judgements would be on how they post in the forum but I think most would probably be ok.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
14 days ago
Ve been here a while and met a number of other members. The biggest meet was one with four of us spending a day together but mostly on a one to one basis.
Everyone I have met has looked at least vaguely like their pics but a few surprised me with very different personalities to the ones I had expected. No nasty surprises.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
I'm with euro on the height thing.
I think, in my head, most men on here are around 5'10". Except the really arsey ones!
I'm short at 5'2", and yes, I'm often arsey in real life.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
Oh, I found my glasses.
They were in the .... kitchen! Right where I'd looked near several times yesterday - on the floor.
I suspect they were hiding in my scarf mountain - a 'thing' dipped into by me and my granddaughters at this time of the year.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
If I meet anyone else from MSE I'll make a pink cut out mask, so as they'll recognise me.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
13 days ago
See G.O.W. i told you they were in the Kitchen, you need one of those neck-chain thingy's so you can hang them round your neck when you're wearing them!

Andy Mac
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
13 days ago
There are certainly one or two members I don't think I would like very much.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
'you need one of those neck-chain thingy's so you can hang them round your neck when you're wearing them!'

Andy - no, just no!
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
12 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
I suppose we all know a few posters on here that we know it's unlikely we would ike any more in the real world than we do on here. I've met a few men and women and one of the men I dated I still see from time to time and we go out for a meal and one of the women I met is now my best friend and fortunately lives close to me even though we met on this site.
I think some of the prolific posters get carried away with pushing their opinions and trying to convince others they are right which can make them quite borimng but that might not be the case when they step away from the keyboard.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
11 days ago
I have them sussed! LOLOL
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
11 days ago
You do?
Molly
Molly Female
11 days ago
I don't think I know them but I would be horrified if some of them were as bad in real life as they are on here.

Help with conversations