Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

First spade in the ground as Midsummer Council approves new town development.

Councillors promise jobs galore.

On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
21 days ago
Employing people in a new town or city from scratch, who would you recommend for which job, post or occupation and why?

Feel free to consider past or present MSE members or any other person, living or dead!
-
With his particular temperament and outlook, I think Hierophant would make a great traffic warden and with his considerable expertise, I'd recommend Andy Mac take over the management at the Camera Shop.

The up and coming Midsummer local elections will be interesting. I wonder who the Tory, Labour and Green candidates will be?

And who would be the next local Police commissioner?

As a steady, safe pair of hands, I wonder who would join LeoGirl in the Citizen's Advice Borough?

*Just a few suggestions from me although nothing is written in stone ... just yet. *
-
And what style or character would the new town of Midsummer take on? Would it have a surreal Portmeirion village look, (like the village we see in the classic Prisoner TV series), or might it be olde worlde, contemporary or futuristic?

Use the suggestion box, (adjacent), if you want to offer any of your own designs or architectural ideas. :)
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
21 days ago
I like people watching; I'll sit and wait - and watch.
JustinSane
JustinSane Male
21 days ago
Sounds like a Rosevelt, Keynsian Idea. Even Sir Oswald Mosely made such a proposal which was rejected, which is why he resigned.  
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
21 days ago
With his particular temperament and outlook, I think Hierophant would make a great traffic warden

Oh I'd much rather apply for the position of diversity and inclusion officer....
JustinSane
JustinSane Male
21 days ago
That's me excluded then.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
21 days ago
Is there an icecream parlour?
Can I apply to run it?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
21 days ago
ROFL@ Hiero NO! I could think of a few for toilet and drain cleaning positions. 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
20 days ago
I volunteer to be undertaker. LOLOL
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
20 days ago
I'll volunteer to be the mad cat lady.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
20 days ago
I had you down for the library W'hen.

Surely we can do better than this!
I thought this was a really imaginative thread.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
20 days ago
Yes I could do library duties and cats, and cooking and running a wholefood shop and allotments all sorts of things,

Pixie could be our resident artist. Minnie our wildlife and conservation expert.

I think all the buildings should be built to the highest eco standards possible and that some of us could live in hobbit style houses, some ultra modern, as long as they don't complain about people living in glass houses, but that we should all have similar sized plots to build on, but its up to us how large an area we build on, afterall there are some strange folk who don't like gardens.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
20 days ago
'....afterall there are some strange folk who don't like gardens.'

That is strange!
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
13 days ago
Can i nominate Samx, to be in charge of boarder control.

Make him captain of a gunboat so he can patrol the channel and keep us safe from marauding immigrants and asylum seekers, we could even give him a new name … Captain Pug-Wash? hee hee hee

Andy Mac
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
12 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
"Can i nominate Samx, to be in charge of boarder control. Make him captain of a gunboat so he can patrol the channel and keep us safe from marauding immigrants and asylum seekers, we could even give him a new name … Captain Pug-Wash? hee hee hee" Andy Mac

Lol.

Reading his stuff used to give me a downer but, thanks to the wonders of the site's technology, he doesn't exist in my Midsummer universe anymore; but what a brilliant suggestion!!!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
12 days ago
Do we need police in our happy MSE village? Can't we create our own rules and only call police in if something bad happens?

I could run the MSE Police Service from the library, if suspects won't talk I could lock them in a cell with only a book on the Laws of Tort for company! That book is so boring, it could almost be banned under Human Rights legislation and the Geneva Convention.

WIll you be our resident techie OTB, sort out all our phones, tellies and pooters?

Can we have a resident dressmaker/tailor and cobbler? It would be nice to have properly made shoes rather than just talking cobblers.

I see the MSE village as being a bit like Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club books.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
All of a sudden I'm thinking of Hot Fuzz...
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
12 days ago
Oh yeah, farmers wives with shot guns!!! lol
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
12 days ago
If we're talking Thursday Murder Club W'hen, I'll be Elizabeth!
That'll mean nowt to anyone who hasn't read the books!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
11 days ago
Well that would make Maglorian our Ron, I think I'd have to be Elizabeth too, but I don't know who'd be Joyce or Ibrahim?
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 days ago
"WIll you be our resident techie OTB, sort out all our phones, tellies and pooters?"

OK, Hen. And I'll keep the same hours as I do here!

"Open market days and Fridays". That's Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

"Other days? Depends what side of bed I get out of."

That's what I always say when asked. :-)

Help with conversations