Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Queing

Que jumpers

sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
21 days ago
When people are queing, there are often instances of queue jumping, and some have bad consequences. Its generally regarded as rude and ignorant and a few other things chucked in.

I experienced a few instances a few weeks ago. And it hadn't struck me before, but these instances all involved orientals. I'm not sure whether Chinese, Japanese or other, but after the incidents, I looked up online and there are quite a few things regarding Orientals and their disregard of queing.

I'm not sure if its any worse than other races, but it seems to be an issue.

What are your queing experiences?

By the way, the incidents were queing for a taxi outside Birmingham staion. There was a que about 20 people, waiting for the next taxis, and as soon as one pulled up, there were orientals trying to blatantly jump the que to get in the taxi. Us in the que had to keep telling them to get to the back. It didn't get too heated, but a bit.
The other time was in a lift at the station. We were queing to get in the lift, about 30 people, and an oriental woman barged her way through the que to the lift door. The lady at the front told her to stop, the que barger just looked at the lady and when the lift doors opened, got on first. We all looked at each other and shook our heads. Couldnt believe the rudeness or cheek.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
21 days ago
Perhaps there is a wee bit of confirmation bias going on there?
fosy
fosy Male
21 days ago
we were the only english in a hotel full of germans and austrians.

we soon learnt to forget about queuing....
terry
terry Male
21 days ago
It's interesting, we have a lot of Chinese people here in Huddersfield and I've found the exact opposite...though generally the older ones can be even more grumpy than me. From a queing perspective, I tend to always go to the back whatever my position when I arrive and the ones who push in seem to be the students, but in fairness people generally do whatever's needed to keep the line moving.
terry
terry Male
21 days ago
Should clarify, when I say students, I mean students of any nationality...other than Chinese and English.
BunnyGirl
BunnyGirl Female
21 days ago
I wonder what they are like in their own Countries !
lindy
lindy Female
21 days ago
You can oft hear me say "Obviously your need is far greater than mine...please...go ahead" and I smile.  I do tend to let folk in supermarkets with a basket or less than me go before me....I try to practice patience as I'm not very - at times :-) and as someone who has worked in customer service - banks, post offices et al I've seen quite a few queue jumpers and their tactics hahahaha
Samx
Samx Male
21 days ago
Queueing is a peculiar British habit and must be strictly enforced and orderly! Other nations tend not to be so precise on these lines. Lol. If there is a long queue, I tend to leave and wait until it has shrunk to a manageable size, as I hate queueing. However, having lived in this country for a long time, I submit to this strict order to the point of telling queue jumpers off!
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
21 days ago
Maybe my experience the other week was just a Birmingham kind of experience.
Birmingham seems a big diverse place. I don't know it that well, in fact in had been years since I went outside the train station. Normally I just change trains there.
Going outside into the real Birmingham world was an experience in itself. The Taxis that came along all seemed oldy type taxis, not sure how to explain, but they seemed oldy type things. Taxi driver in the front, Open the back door thing, and its just a space, with some fold down seats if needed.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
21 days ago
Do you mean black cabs?
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
21 days ago
Probably. Are we allowed to say that? lol
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
21 days ago
Although they were all different colours. Some yellow, some purple, some others. They all looked old.
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
21 days ago
Taxi driver in the front and open the back door for seats you say? Strange lol. They sound like multi-coloured 'black' cabs.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
21 days ago
Black cabs are not necessarily black.  They are used a lot for advertising and are often in the livery of the product or company that they are promoting. 
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
21 days ago
It all seemed to have an old communist country look to it. It was pouring down as well, and with the Chinese jumping the queues, it was quite surreal.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
21 days ago
I don't notice this at work.
It's usually elderly ladies wearing purple barging in!
#lifegoals
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
20 days ago
You even see the British queueing in traffic in one long lane on a two lane road rather than using other lanes. We love a good queue.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
20 days ago
I don't mind being in a queue as long as I'm at the front lol.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
20 days ago
LOLOL
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
17 days ago
If Oxford finds many more ways of keeping motorists/shoppers/tourists out of the city it will be a massive queue of buses to contend with.
Greencare
Greencare Female
15 days ago
I don't usually like waiting in queues but it's somewhere I often end up talking to interesting strangers.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
13 days ago
I dislike impatient or rude queue jumpers.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
13 days ago
I hate queueing and rarely do so unless it's absolutely unavoidable.
lindy
lindy Female
11 days ago
Thinking on my PO days and OAP pensions on a  Thursday morning makes me smile.  After queuing patiently for half an hour or more outside [most caught the bus in from out of town] our delightful customers would file in and wait to be served [no single queuing in them there days].  The atmosphere was congenial and jovial and tolerance was also given to the married couples who would queue in different queues and whoever was served first they would move over and join them.  You'd hear 'cheeky buggers' and laughter.  

Needless to say, we oft had boxes of chocs brought in and one delightful man bought in cakes and lemonade in the summer for us.  

It is a reminder that some of these folk had not seen anyone for a week and this was their outing into town.   Sometimes queuing has benefits for some eh?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
11 days ago
I often think a 'slow checkout' would be extremely popular.
It's just that some would be 10 minutes chatting!

Help with conversations