Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

It’s the end of the

common cold in sight?

Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
Apparently, a new serum is been created, which will protect against 20 or more cold virus strains, as well as Covid viruses.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
Do you have a link to this .Sam?
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
The pill industry will close it all down before it even starts up
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
The pill industry will close it all down

Who or what are the pill industry?
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
pillocks
Kimjongun
Kimjongun Male
2 months ago
Yes, but it still does not stop you catching colds,or spreading colds.
And you still have to be careful with Granny.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
Do you have a link to this .Sam?

It is new and discovered in the uk but a long way off yet. They reckon a couple of years so not quite news.
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
It got reported on the BBC news. I can’t confirm accurately this information. But then, who can verify anything these days? I don’t believe in links. If stated, I never looked it up.
asteer
asteer Female
2 months ago
The big pharma won't produce something that will totally eradicate it unless there's something in it for them because they could damage their own source of income.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
They would if it puts their competitors out of business.  But that's not really how the pharma industry works.  There's no cure for the common cold atm, so they aren't competing with any other product.  The treatment for rhinoviruses is palliative only and the ingredients are available OTC and have other uses aswell.  I would expect that someone has spotted how lucrative the covid vaccines have been, especially in light of the mutations and need for boosters, and they wondered if they could do the same with the common cold.  I can't imagine that uptake for a vax will be as high for a covid one though.  I'll have to go and see if I can find the article now.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I can't find anything on BBC news and nothing else comes up in a more general search that would fit with the OP.  I do dislike these half baked threads that don't really tell you what they are referring to.  It's impossible to have a meaningful conversation about it.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
2 months ago
I saw the article on the BBC web site but i only read the headline that said it was a possible breakthrough in regard to the common cold becoming a thing of the past but as yet no organisation had tested the product or approved it, it was also mentioned that it was being made in very much the same way the corona virus vaccine had been produced.

Andy Mac
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
They seemed to miraculously get rid of flu since covid was first around, perhaps they are waving another magic wand, saying 'izzy wizzy lets get busy' and fingers crossed.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
Nothing miraculous. No magic wand. Simple and obvious. Masks and distance will work every time.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
Nothing miraculous. No magic wand. Simple and obvious. Masks and distance will work every time.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
lol
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
lol again
lindy
lindy Female
2 months ago
Seriously???? This I'd like to see!!
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I've kind of gone off the idea of covid style vaccines, since my most recent health scare.  I would rather take my chances with the common cold than yet another vaccine.  I won't be having any more covid boosters either, until I have satisfied myself about what they do to your body.  I have concerns about what they might do to your immune system.  Though I will continue to have the old style vaccines needed for my travel.
NoneOfTheAbove
NoneOfTheAbove Male
2 months ago
I thought the news was that a universal flu vaccine was being developed and could be available in about 2 years.
Each year the authorities have to workout what the most likely form of flu will be prevalent that winter and vaccinate against that.
Where that can fall down is if the type of flu that predominates isn't that type, so a universal vaccine should help to prevent that happening.

I heard today that they're trying to get parents of 3 to 5 year olds to get their children vaccinated against flu as the periods of lockdown isolation has reduced their exposure to the flu virus and there's been a big week on week increase in hospital admissions of that age group, some very serious, even requiring intubation.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
Good post TBA. I understood the same.
asteer
asteer Female
2 months ago
I keep getting text messages from the NHS to arrange for an appointment or go to a walk in centre to have my Covid booster but unless I go abroad when most countries tend to insist that you are up to date I'm reluctant to have it.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
2 months ago
We have the choice and should act accordingly. I've had and will have all vaccination and even a few extra ones because I work with a lot of vulnerable people so I protect myself and them.
NoneOfTheAbove
NoneOfTheAbove Male
2 months ago
.....but unless I go abroad when most countries tend to insist that you are up to date I'm reluctant to have it.

Surely prevention is better than cure.
And if you've had the rest why the reticence.
Any chance we have to help prevent the chance of ending up in hospital with covid if it takes a turn for the worse will be helping the under pressure health services.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I'm boostered up to the eye balls, but I also have some autoimmune stuff going on, so I won't be having any more, unless I need them for travel.  The last booster made me really ill for a few days, as bad as I felt with covid, though admittedly I didn't get the pneumonia that hit about a week later.  All the same, I don't think my body can cope with it, atm.  That's just me and not intended as medical advice for anyone else.  You have to make your own mind up and take your own individual health status into account..

Help with conversations