Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Which country would you be happy to live in?

Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
2 months ago
A) In Europe

B) Anywhere in the world
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
If I could live anywhere in Europe I would choose the UK although slightly better weather would be appreciated.

Further afield I wouldn't mind trying Thailand.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
2 months ago
I would like to live in New Zealand.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
2 months ago
I'm happy in my perspex Truman Show style dome, thanks.

Living in an ancient market town, a bit kooky, a bit eccentric, a bit bohemian and entirely unique as a pin on the map of the world, the ocean, beaches and harbour just a short walk or cycle ride away; fabulous coastal cliffs and scenery all around.

My 2000 year old Anglo-Romano villa to metal detect only a brisk walk away offering spectacular views that show off 360 degrees of the rural prehistoric Dorset landscape including several distinct Iron Age hillforts in a circle - most inside a 15 mile ring of my own idylic cottage - with other delights like King John's 11th century hunting lodge, (the remains of Powerstock Castle), only 3 miles out of town) or the secret smuggler lanes and dwellings of 17th century Isacc Gulliver, who bought up property and land along the Dorset coast with the (successful) intent to mimic the safety of Weymouth Bay via strategically placed lanterns, lamps and lights that fooled ship's captains into thinking they were heading for harbour and the safety of Weymouth port when, really, they were being drawn, sirene like, onto the trteacherous steep shingle banks of Chesil beach itself.

And talking of beach. :)

Having one of the finest places to cast a line in the whole of the UK is pretty cool too. (Even as a boy and junior member of Westland Sport's Club's angling club I caught a 38" 12lb 9oz cod from West Bexington, (part of Chesil), AND an 18lb 2oz conger eel from Charmouth beach, (over 4 ft long), before I was 15, winning an armful of awards and cups in the process.

Add the wildlife, the geology, the topography and the the big Dorset skies that gaze down upon human hunter gatherer sites, bronze age long barrows, iron age tumulis, ancient and fascinating water gathering dew pits, mysterious lines, tracks, strip lynchets and other marks upon the landscape and it is just so easy to transport back to an earlier time where, from vast tracts of my county, it is still possible to stare out into scenery that has zero evidence of modern man to spoil it.

I've never flown on a jet plane and have little desire to see more of the world.

And why would I? My world is here already. :-)
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
Travel is a cycle ride and long distance travel is a Lambretta.
NoneOfTheAbove
NoneOfTheAbove Male
2 months ago
I've visited a fair few countries around the world that you might consider as a future destination to move to.They might be great as destinations to visit but I'm not sure any really would prompt me to emigrate full time.

Things can, and usually do, look a whole lot less appealing when you have to experience and live with the places differences daily, every day, day after day.  

Ideally it would be good to have a bolt hole in the chosen place for extended stays and a permanent home back in Blighty.      
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
As well as google, i have bing set up. Bing puts out different pictures each day, usually amazing scenes. Theres been a couple of Peru in recent days. It looks tremendous. I'm not sure what the whole country would be like to live in, but they certainly have amazing scenery.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
I would be happy to live in Spain but I would still rather live here in England.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
2 months ago
Like so many others my first choice would be liv8ng in the uk but I have lived and worked in Italy and it's a country I like a lot. Good food and wine and weather and people.
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland. It is unfortunate that due to circumstances beyond my ability I have no option but to stay here. 50 years ago, I considered britain a nice place to live in, but have now changed my mind, as over these five decades, the country has gone into liquidation in most aspects. Sad for true. Of course, most of you will disagree with this, because……
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
2 months ago
Because we disagree Sam. I love our country even though we are a nation of moaners and very self critical. There is still nowhere I would rather be. My children and grandchildren are all growing up here so I'm watching another two generations moving forward. I've lived and worked and holidayed in many other countries but always happy to come home.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
This one.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
Yes this one.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
I thought the thread might show a willingness for a mass migration but it seems most of us prefer the UK to anywhere else - except Sam of course but he is going to stay in any case LOLOL
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
2 months ago
TBH i love living on the country of my birth but i could be persuaded to live abroad i quite like Egypt so much to see and do but the heat would kill me so maybe somewhere a bit cooler like Italy or Spain maybe!

Andy Mac
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
2 months ago
I've experienced a few countries. Canada and New Zealand are almost on a par with the UK but I'm pleased I settled here. I think it's the country with the most freedom and opportunities. It is also by far the least prejudiced and with the friendliest people.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
BlackMark1 Male
14 hours ago
I've experienced a few countries. Canada and New Zealand are almost on a par with the UK but I'm pleased I settled here. I think it's the country with the most freedom and opportunities. It is also by far the least prejudiced and with the friendliest people.

I agree with all that Mark.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
2 months ago
So tell us Samx if its so bad here in the UK why you can’t go back to where you came from, is it really circumstance or more than likely to do with the ”HB” ”DLA” and of course the ”Mobility allowance” you wouldn’t get if you repatriated?

Andy Mac
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
2 months ago
Oooops, I forgot to mention the free "NHS" service you get here in the UK as well.

Andy Mac
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
2 months ago

I agree with word. We are lucky to live in the UK.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
Living in the UK would be my first choice although I wish it was a bit warmer. Living in Windsor has been wonderful too and I've enjoyed all my years here. I've never wished to be anywhere else.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
Theres an old oil platform thing off the coast somewhere that has got some sort of status. I'm not sure its a country, but i remember reading something about it being something strange. Anyway, that sounds a good place, away from the husles and bustles of the rest of the world. So long as they deliver stuff and all that.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
I think it's off the coast of Essex.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
2 months ago
I've worked in a number of countries and travel extensively overseas and all over the uk. I have often thought about living somewhere else. I was very happy when I was in Malta and in Iceland but once back in the uk there are so many advantages living here.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Andromeda
Andromeda
From Berkshire
Female
Yesterday
Living in the UK would be my first choice although I wish it was a bit warmer. Living in Windsor has been wonderful too and I've enjoyed all my years here. I've never wished to be anywhere else.

That is a great way to feel about your country and local environment. Reading your post I might become convinced there is life south of Chester LOLOL

Help with conversations