Conversation The Forum
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Over 6.1M Chinese told to lock down at home this week.

Yesterday, China had 31,444 new COVID-19 cases although most infected showed no outward signs.

On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
Earlier in the year, China kept 20 million city dwellers locked down for 2 months.

It all seems a bit strange though not in a silly conspiracy way strange and I guess the huge new infection numbers are probably just down to the fact that China's vaccine measures are different than so many other nations. (They seem to be continuing their zero tolerance lock down measures rather than inviting the nation to use meds or vaccines)

And deaths remain low ...

30,000 + cases a day though ... That's more than China has ever experienced before ... a record ... and I wonder what it means for the rest of the world?

Another zillion ways for the deadly non living pathogen to surprise humanity again ... or is it all over ... though when I say all over, I really mean ... is this it ... as it is now ... with humanity stuck with this bug / disease / infection (and measures like masks in hospitals, care homes and the like), forever?

I don't care for going over the whole saga yet again on here but China with 30,000+ infections a day ... even now??!!

That's gotta have some knock on, dominoe effect, hasn't it?
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
3 days ago
i hope the bloke who's market stall started it all off has said a few d'ohs to himself, simpson style. Whatever d'oh is in chinese.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 days ago
That's a bit like saying where does life on earth, or even earth, really begin.
It had to be somewhere before his stall.
That's if you even believe that version.
What's that I hear?
Oh, can of worns!
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
3 days ago
can of worn what though? lol creme
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 days ago
worms!

(Feck)
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
The peasants are revolting ... apparently.

Chinese citizens have finally had enough of it all and some of them are contemplating some kind of a stand.

"A few months ago, a box was left outside the door of 34-year-old Yu Ting Xu’s* apartment in Beijing. Inside, there was an electronic monitoring wristband and a demand that she wear the wristband at all times as part of the fight against COVID-19 in her residential area.

While telling her story over a video call, Yu shuffles about in the background. When she returns to her screen, she is holding up the wristband, which looks like a smartwatch but has a plain white plastic surface instead of a display.

“I have never put it on,” she said.

“I have accepted lockdowns, forced COVID-19 tests and health codes, but this thing feels like surveillance just for the sake of surveillance.”

The wristband was the last straw for Yu who is among an increasing number of citizens concerned about the motivation for the Chinese authorities’ expansive use of COVID-19-related technology.

“I am afraid that the COVID-19 strategy is starting to be about controlling Chinese people instead of fighting COVID-19,” she told Al Jazeera."
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 days ago
I agree with Yu, I think it is about controlling people rather than the disease, if there are that many cases, then it seems obvious that locking people up isnt working. Why are they so wary of vaccines? Is it possible to have a zero tolerance policy on a virus that mutates so readily? One of the reasons why smallpox was erradicated is because it didn't mutate.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
3 days ago
People have been speaking out about this covid thing since it all began. The thing is, unless you speak about it in the 'official explanation' kind of way, your opinion just gets treated like a doolally conspiracy theory or something to be ridiculed. Its only when the 'important people' decide to say something different, that it becomes acceptable to start believing something different. Who are the 'important people' though?. Who are the 'influencers'? We've been told to believe the scientists and the experts up till now. Is an 'important person or body of people' becoming the new 'expert' and we all have to start believing them, because they are more 'important' and 'influential' than the previous 'important and influential ones, and any other theories that we all might have will have to wait their turn to become 'the latest' most important type thing. If any of that makes sense.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
Well expressed observation(s), SonOf.

I blame poor leadership; as in any leadership that fails to imbue an electorate or general public with any sense of confidence or trust in them. And we have had several years, a decade or more, of such poor quality leadership, particularly with the expansion of the 'career politician' types who now flood our Parliament and particularly with regard to the complete disrespect MPs have for answering a straight question.

Go back 20 - 30 years and, we had our grumbles and differences with politicians but, at least, there was a certain respect for the establishment whereas today, there is absolutely no doubt that, for so many of us, our own cynicism and dismissal of politicians in general is a clear consequence of them treating the electorate with complete contempt.

The internet has played its part but I doubt the gulf between news and fake news or truth versus conspracy theory would ever have got so dangerous and despairing had we had some respected political leadership to look up to or be inspired by.

The fact that science itself is being demoted here in this 21st century is alarming and the whole woke thing with the police tucking protestors up with blankets rather than throwing them in the slammer is all pretty crazy.

The world needs structure. People need guidance ... and discipline ... and society, in general, appreciates the rules and laws that keep us upright apes in check and happt cheery most of the time.

And without 'official' guidance from responsible folk in power then,yes, we get a world full of discord and chaos as a result.
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
Easteregg

I oft keep stum with my 'knowing'. I make/made a balanced choice on the info I am told and then I go digging and delving and add it to my own knowledge of many many years of experience.

I'm sick and tired of listening to folks bemoaning "supposed conspiracy theorists"

I hope I'm alive in 10 years to hear the truth of this global 'demic' and the fear it created.

I wish everyone health and happiness because many folk I talk to now are suffering with their mental health because of the past few years.
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
2 days ago
I have a wide circle of friends but I don't know a single person Who w as affected by Covid in any way. After the first few weeks were past there was no panic or even major concern other than taking the recommended precautions. Definitely nobody man,woman or child with any mental health issues. Some enjoyed the rest and some were pi**ed off not being able to work.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 days ago
My mental health suffered Colonel.
I neither enjoyed a rest, nor got pi**ed off not being able to work.
I worked, I took abuse while attempting to keep my workmates safe - and my mental health suffered!

I also know plenty of people who caught it, and I know of some who died.

I'm guessing you don't have any friends or acquaintances who work in supermarkets.
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
Then you are lucky Col Blink
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 days ago
I think the Colonel was lucky as many died during Covid but I don't know anyone who died even though most of my friends did have Covid at some stage. I don't know anyone who suffered mental health either and I have three relatives who worked in supermarkets. They had Covid but they are still alive and well. I was lucky too.
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
2 days ago
Yesterday, China had 31,444 new COVID-19 cases although most infected showed no outward signs.

Stop testing and it magically goes away.
I don't know anybody who still tests for this, perhaps they're using out of date kits.
Funny how China was telling the world they beat covid with their total lockdown, mandatory masks and killing of pets. All those cats and dogs donked on the head and they're still locking down three years later. Can you believe, three whole years and we're still talking about this bullcrap?.....
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
HeiroThere are still folks doing the tests ...and shouting COVID.  
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 days ago
I don't know anyone taking the tests. I see one or two random people wearing masks which I have presumed is connected to Covid.
The only time I have seen or heard Covid mentioned this year is occasionally on the internet. As Hierophant says stop the testing and it disappears.
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
2 days ago
I have worked in 2 different supermarkets during the last 3 years. During the first lockdown we were asked if we wished to work or not, obiv the older staff and any disabled staff were automatically furloughed - on full pay at that time ( the supermarket topped up the Govt furlough pay ) and those of us that worked had a pay increase during that time. There was less than 1/3rd of staff working, as 2/3 of the store was closed - as there were other departments not just food.
None of the working or non-working staff had been hospitalised during or after that first lockdown, and no-one died.

The second supermarket already had x% of staff on furlough when I joined, and the country went into a 2nd ( mini ) lockdown 2 days later. Again no working staff were hospitalised and none died . When the remaining staff gradually returned I am unaware of any of them having been hospitalised, and I know none of them died.

None of my friends or neighbours have been hospitalised nor died, even tho one neighbour has been in hospital with a couple of serious illnesses, resulting in a blue light ambulance and a 4am emergency operation this neighbour has not yet been ill with Covid.

My daughter worked all through all the lockdowns in a school, instead of doing 5 short days she worked 2 long days as the school extended their day for all the ' key worker ' children, and the head teacher ensured my daughter worked on days I don't so she did not need to use public transport.

Neither I nor my daughter have suffered with our mental health from working during the lockdowns, and neither of us know of anyone hospitalised from Covid.

Clearly we are lucky to live in a county with lots of open spaces and lots of fresh air coming in from the sea..
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
2 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
HeiroThere are still folks doing the tests ...and shouting COVID.

Of course there are, they will probably be testing and jabbing themselves for the next 20 years.
So many people have been completely screwed-up by the last three years that they're never coming back.....
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
2 days ago
“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution”

Aldous Huxley 1962...
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
2 days ago
Didn't cannabis do that?
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears, so to speak, producing a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact have their liberties taken away from them, but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propaganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods. And this seems to be the final revolution”

Aldous Huxley 1962...

Sadly so!!!
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 days ago
Didn't cannabis do that?

It did indeed and still does.
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
""Didn't cannabis do that?

It did indeed and still does."""

It is rife....and blatantly so now!!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 days ago
One neighbour died of covid, one of my GP's husband died from it. It's not just dying from it, or the mental health cosequenses of lock downs, but when like my son you've had it three times, despite being fully vacinated the overall effect it has on your health, from breain fog, to breathlessness and bone deep weariness, its not an easy disease to recover from and nobody yet knows the what the long term health prospects are for people contracting the virus multiple times.

Help with conversations