Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Mud!!

Living with it...

G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 days ago
Even though, technically, I live in the driest part of the country (East Anglia has the lowest rainfall in the country), I'm presently surrounded by mud!
This is probably not helped by the clay soil around me, and yes, we've had a lot of rain recently. We also have a lot of springs in this area.
I'm used to mud.
I've always lived in the countryside.
However, I understand some people detest it.
My OH, being a town dweller found it drove him crazy. He couldn't understand why I didn't wash my boots every time I came back from a walk.
I wipe them on the long grass and leave to dry on newspaper.
I then sweep or vacuum any dry mud in the porch as and when. It's laminate flooring and gets washed when needed. If I expected a sparkling clean floor all the time, it would mean constant cleaning that I don't have the time or inclination for. I guess this is why larger country homes have a 'boot room'.
One farm we were on, the boot room had sizel flooring. God only knows how much mud and crap it absorbed.

Do you live with mud, turn a blind eye, or does it drive you nuts?
Samx
Samx Male
3 days ago
I often drive through, but try to avoid walking into mud.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 days ago
I often walk through muddy paths and woodland this time of year with my trusty waterproof boots.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 days ago
When you live in the countryside then thres a level of mud that you just have to learn to live with, Fearn tracks quite a lot in on her paws when she's been in the garden. The hard floors are cleaned everyday and the carpets hoovered, we have a throw on the sofa so she gets that muddy instead of the furniture itself. Even if we had a boot room I'm not sure how we'd teach Fearn to wipe her paws properly, the cats come in with muddy paws too, but never as muddy as Fearns.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
3 days ago
I used to like seeing the dried mud that comes out of the tyre treads and welly treads that you went through when it was wet and has now dried.
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
Mud, mud glorious mud.....

Yes...living in the country and country walks brings the mud home. It also applies itself, not just on my boots [walking and wellies] but on the dog's paws too. I do have a hose pipe attached to the side of the house and when and if the dog needs her feet washed I oft give my boots a bit of a wash...although the driver's mats and the boot where the dog travels takes the brunt. [I drive up to the top of our local hill for walks]

I oft see other walkers religiously change out of their boots into clean shoes before they drive off but I can't be arsed.

Yes...it can find it's way into the house and I vacuum and clean off the laminate - especially when the sun shines and gives away the marks ;-)

Like GOW I've spent most of my life in the countryside and wouldn't have it any other way.

Now I'm singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QW85kfakJc
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 days ago
I quite like making the wellies version of mud pies.
Coming off the field caked and watching the mud peel and squidge off when I get onto the road or an actual dry track.
I just have to live with a degree of it this time of year. Old clothes and change before I go to civilization. As long as I can get down the garden to the car, unmuddied, I'm okay.
Puppy with a long fluffy coat who loves running across fields may have been a mistake though!! :-)
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
GOW

I oft have my cockers coat muddied if she hears or catches sight of a pheasant. If the field is ploughed I rest my case. Instead of a delightful tan, she is a dark brown hahaha.

I've had this with my pooches for years now as have owned retrievers, labs, collies and now a working cocker. The car is oft parked in mud and thankfully a hosepipe can swill off the thick of it [ yay..Thames has now lifted the hosepipe ban]
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 days ago
I still go off-roading on a bike and really get covered in mud even my hair!
terry
terry Male
2 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
There's only two things to avoid with mud, if the bit you're in comes up to your knees you've gone a bit too far, and crawling face down in it isn't as funny as they make out.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 days ago
I tried living with mud. I had to leave because they wouldnt stop playing Tiger Feet. lol

ps I like Tiger feet actually.
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
hahahaha....and who remembers dancing in step to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfidTOTsLo
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 days ago
Brilliant. Les Gray RIP. Died 2004. Quite a character and performer.

Help with conversations