Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Possible 70,000 people in UK scammed.

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
3 days ago
Police will text 70,000 people to warn them they have been victims of a banking scam in the UK's biggest anti-fraud operation.

The iSpoof website, involved in the scam, was advertised openly on the internet. It allegedly provided access to a server, initially based in Holland and then Ukraine, which criminals could use to make anonymous calls to victims from a spoof phone number.

Worth reading about on the BBC website.
Samx
Samx Male
3 days ago
This is precisely why I do not buy, bank or join websites online, with the exception of MSE. I bet even here come on someone contacted me recently, saying he knew a lady, who wanted to become my friend. I explained to him that I am exceedingly suspicious about third hand introductions. Never heard from him again. I even refuse to give my name and personal details in shops, who often ask for them. Never, ever give passwords, Account numbers, or personal information to strangers (the advice from parents to children, not to talk to strangers, it’s very apt). Unfortunately, people are far too trusting!
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 days ago
I gt an automated call this morning on my landline that started "Hello.  This is a call from bank security and fraud  ....  ".  I hung up before it went any further.  If it was genuine, they would know who I bank with.  I wonder if that is the scam that is being talked about.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 days ago
A very different story to what we often read about. A website named iSpoof advertised itself as selling information to scammers.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/nov/24/100-people-arrested-ispoof-uk-biggest-investigation
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 days ago
No surprise they were caught.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
2 days ago
Maybe they thought that by advertising the scam online and selling it to others they would be untouchable.

Help with conversations