Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Crikey! Net migration rose to 504,000 in the year to June 2022.

Hierophant
Hierophant Male
3 days ago
That figure does not include the infamous boat people arriving on the south coast every day (around 1000 per day).
Should we be concerned about the lack of housing and pressure on public services or do you think there's nothing to worry about?.....
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
3 days ago
Just a bit more information on the figures...

In the YE June 2022, people arriving on study visas accounted for the largest proportion (39%) of long-term immigration of non-EU nationals at 277,000.
This is an increase from 143,000 in the YE June 2021.

Those arriving on “other” visas accounted for the second largest proportion of non-EU immigration (39%) at an estimated 276,000 in the YE June 2022.
This is an increase from 91,000 in the YE June 2021.

All data from the ONS....
Samx
Samx Male
3 days ago
In your title, you say migration, rather than immigration, confusing the issue. There are a few pertinent points to make about immigrants:
Many Chinese (and other) students come here to study and learn our ways, to take it back to their country, the knowledge (technical, social and perception) of which is then used against us and the west. Remember knowledge IS power.
There exists a guilt complex, an imperium leftover, which prevent many people to put the foot down and stop immigration (Especially for India and Hong Kong).
The Home Office ministers recent performance, in front of a inquiry into her handling of immigrantion, was pathetic.
The law and attitude of the British is ridiculously sympathetic to, especially, economic immigrants and needs URGENT reforming.
Accommodating real refugees is a humanitarian obligation. However, once the country, from which they fled, returns to normal, these people need to be repatriated.
True refugees will be only be too happy to stay in the first safe country, so there is no need for them to come to the UK, especially as we are an island.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
"Over 1.3 million job vacancies in the UK"

At least the incomers want to work; unlike us native Brits.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
lol. The quote was from me! :)
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
Is it even worth posting here anymore when we can expect a post to be added to only every 3 -4 hours and by less than 20 persistent posters these days?

Though, to spite me, dozens may now crawl out of the woodwork to defend the indefensible or to prove me wrong. :)

I wish.

Apologies, H. I'm just trying to ... well I don't quite know what I am trying to do.

Perhaps we should be promoting Midsummer to the lovely 'boat people' hoping to start a brand new life here.
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
3 days ago
I'm trying also Beachy old boy.
To be honest the lack of enthusiasm to respond to stuff like this is not confined to this place.
As a nation we do seem to have lost our energy, fight and passion.
I fear they've achieved their aim, they've broken us....
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
You're not wrong.

It is as if everyone has had their soul ripped out and shredded. Reminds me of that classic horror film, Night of the living dead, where what remains of humanity is holed up in an old farmhouse while zombies lurch and loiter about outside ...

Oh yeah ... and the government sent me ANOTHER hand out yesterday morning; a voucher for £66. Everyone around here got one. WTF???

And I'm thinking; "What a igniminous way to go".

After a lifetime of 1950's style adventures and lashings of ginger beer living out my perfect idylic life here in West Dorset, I end up a pensioner, (in 3 weeks time), living in a world completely dysfunctional and shot up and perfectly primed for some Hitler style right wing menacing mist of malevolence ready to take the world on its final Hell in a Handcart adventure to oblivion.

I made it though, didn't I?

I got right to the end of the human experiment; just before it all went teats up. :-)
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
Hunger. Thirst. Starvation. Plague. Pestilence. Natural calamity on a global scale.

It's all arrived right on cue ... just like that big fat book predicted.

Just the 4 horsemen left to appear now ...

"Sam ... Sam ... You there?

This is YOUR time! ... And just what you've always wanted."
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
3 days ago
As to how UK should house even the 1000 daily boat arrivals - last time I checked UK has around 1.6 million households on Council waiting lists - waiting for affordable housing.

The official average occupancy rate (people per home) per English Housing Survey is 2.4 people per home.

But around 1/3rd of homes have just a single occupant - so the rest will average out to around 3.1 people per home

So just to house the boat arrivals we need an extra of say 2258 homes weekly - or over 117,000 annually. That alone swallows up 60% of the circa 200k new build homes annually in UK

But even if those extra homes were available there would as usual be a cost attaching ie Rent.

But for some years already Landlords have been expected to do the Border Force' job for them - by checking that aspiring Tenants are legally in UK - under threat of a £3000 per capita fine for failing to abide by that Right to Rent legislation.

Then outside London average private Rent is £1000 pcm (plus all usual bills) but prior to being granted Asylum those people have nil access to Benefit system.

Any Employer tempted to give work to an illegal entrant will similarly face a £10,000 per capita fine.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
3 days ago
Many UK households are already miffed about new build housing developments making nil provision for associated infrastructure needs eg schools/hospitals etc.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
3 days ago
It never stops, does it?

Relentless ... cold ... clinical ...

Just a never ending series of quotes and statistics. :-(

(Pause)

"HELLO? ... Can anybody hear me? I'm human ... with a heart ... and feelings?

Is there anybody there?"

Nah. It's just the same old thing.

You could almost set your watch by it. :-(
lindy
lindy Female
2 days ago
"""just like that big fat book predicted. Just the 4 horsemen left to appear now ... """

Me thinks Beach those ponies have arrived. They are here. However which way we wish to interpret them. No matter what religion you hold onto!!

I don't have religious beliefs but I have a faith in a higher consciousness - tried and tested!

I oft give life here a lot of thought. I have a wonderful interest in 'Ancient Aliens' and the evolution of the universe, planet and living organisms.

I despair at how the global system is corrupt instead of caring and kind.

I could go on but seriously...

I think you mentioned the old days on MSE. Yes...I was here and the convo's were deep and insightful - on the forum. I didn't venture onto the others as I had little interest in them. A little older and wiser now I'm not so shy and worried about what others think of me or my views.

Trouble is, on social media I witness such nastiness from folk as they expel the bitterness that builds up in them and there is no outlet except to call each other names and critise. There are those who try to counteract this nastiness but it just keeps on coming...the vitriol and spite!!

They don't need 'forums' such as these anymore! Sad eh?

Help with conversations