Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

As much of the harvest is rotting in the fields,

why not send the boat people to gather it in,

Samx
Samx Male
4 days ago
rather then let them luxuriate in hotels and give the devil idle hands?
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
4 days ago
Technically these people are not allowed to work - and the veg/fruit picking season ended last month.
Samx
Samx Male
4 days ago
There are still the winter crops to be harvested, things like Brussels sprouts and some salad stuff. As I said before change floor to allow that to happen!
Samx
Samx Male
4 days ago
Typo: change that specific law! Not floor
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 days ago
I think you will find that we abolished slavery in the 19th century.
Samx
Samx Male
3 days ago
Slaves work for nothing, whereas these people could be financially compensated according to their production level. This compromise solution would be beneficial to everybody.
Currently these idle people group together and passers-by feel intimidated. They speak in foreign languages, instead of trying to speak English in public, so the locals would understand what they’re talking about. When I arrived in England, many decades ago, I spoke only in English, although broken, even to people, whose language I spoke fluently. As always, l come to the conclusion, if one person can do it, most people can too, but these days, many foreigners deliberately do not want to conform to local standards, but expect the locals to conform to theirs.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
3 days ago
Migrants/Asylum seekers do need to be realistic as to their expectations while their claims to remain permanently in UK are being processed.

That also includes being aware that possibly the majority may well have their applications denied.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 days ago
When I arrived in England, many decades ago, I spoke only in English, although broken, even to people, whose language I spoke fluently. As always, l come to the conclusion, if one person can do it, most people can too,

That is very commendable Sam. I don't know your circumstances but presuming you were running for your life, maybe bombed out of your house, starving as you escaped, hiding in the back of lorries for days, sleeping rough for weeks, finding a way onto a six man dinghy with twenty others then braving the rough seas to land on our shores and while on this scary, lonely and frightening journey you learned to speak English. Wow I'm impressed.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 days ago
Many people who arrive here are not in any physical condition for the kind of work you describe.  If you compel people to work against their will, it is classed as slavery.  You don't seem to grasp what seeking asylum is about or the legal basis under which people claim it.  
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
3 days ago
Having immigrants working in the fields is an improvement on Sam's previous plan of sinking the boats in the channel.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 days ago
ah yes, give someone very very bad news, followed by some plain old ordinary bad news, and they are so relieved that they don't mind so much that the alternative is not in their best interests either.  It's a technique that governments use all the time.

Help with conversations