Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Getting work done

Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
5 days ago
Why does it have to be so blooming hard to get anything done on your house? I mean all kinds of work from general repairs and upkeep to more major works. It seems to have got worse since the pandemic and people just can't be arsed.
I badly need my gutter cleaning out at the back of the house. It's chocker and every time it rains, I get a waterfull down the back of the building.
There used to be a bloke who came round with a pressure cleaner on the end of a long pole and he blasts it out. Only took a few minutes.
Anyway, he has decided that he doesn't visit this postcode anymore, so I went online and found someone who also claimed to use a pole fed system. Explained on phone what the situation is, Mid terrace, conservatory underneath, needs a long pole etc, but they said they needed access by a ladder. Arranged access with next door neighbour. Paid deposit and bob's your uncle, I thought.

Anyway, waited in all day for the bloke to turn up and within 2 minutes he says he can't do it. He rang me when he got here to say that he can't find my house, all huffing and puffing and miserable, so I had to go out and find him. There he is all long face and a pile of misery. One look at the job and he says he can't do it. Something to do with it being metal with brackets. Apparently, that costs a LOT more money than I have paid. More huffing, puffing, sucking through teeth and more'n'me job'swuff body language telling me that he just can't be bothered. Reads me a lecture about next door neighbour's gutter, takes a photo and says that he will speak to sales and off he goes. He had an attitude when he first got here and thankfully he took his attitude with him when he went. What an arse.

If I didn't have some issues with mobility atm, I would get up there myself with the hose, but not sure that I would be able to get back on ladder safely from the flat roof. I can't understand why we need all this drama.

Trouble is, something like this happens almost every time I want something done.

Anyway rant over. I think I'm going to sell up and live in a tent. I reckon life would be a lot simpler.

Does anyone else find it so difficult to get jobs done?
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
5 days ago
Amazon/Screwfix have a range of inexpensive tools for gutter cleaning
eurostar
eurostar Female
5 days ago
Have you asked a window cleaner about gutters our local one does them at £10 for front and £10 for the back 
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
5 days ago
ventriloquists are normally good at gutters. lol

Sorry, it doesnt help, but i couldnt stop myself
leogirl
leogirl Female
5 days ago
Minnie,

When the Covit first started and everyone had the sane fear and anxieties , people seemed to lean over backwards to be friendly and help each other out.

Now that the `novelty` has worn off and Britain got in a real fix , people got more selfish and thinking about how to use a situation tom  their own best advance.to give an example - my back lawn cutting cost me 20 to 25 pound some 2.5 years ago , than it sprang up to  60unds and when I next found a bill for  120 in my letterbox for the same job and a bit of leaf vacuuming ( read top soil removal ) I felt insulted .  luckily I got in touch with an honest chap who charged me 20 an hour and did a splendid job, worth a nice tip !

This same m friendly man also has been carting 4 or 5 vanloads of rubbish to the tip for me at the same rate.

so there are some really good chaps about, but they are very  rare!  I have also been taken in by a so called electrician who had not a clue that the troubles was NOT the thermostat in the lounge  that he replace at a price , but the thermostat on the c.h. boiler.    when that rectified at a price  it worked fine , BUT when the gas safety engineer had to give -me a certificate he could not b not give me one because the thermostat on the boiler was hanging loose.  apparently they had forced the boiler back in the cupboard and little plastic attachments had snapped of.   I  had no other choice but to go by the adviceof the young gas safety engineer to have the damaged plastic attachment replaced at a wicked amount of money. the young man was almost embarrassed to show me the bill of those attachment.  he charged me the ordinary standard price for the safety certificate and not for the extra work .

the good workers that are fully qualified are worked into the ground and there are long waiting list for their services . But beware of the cowboys !  

I need to have a foot massager seen to. may be as simple a job as a new fuse. BUT CAN I find any shop to do this job.   may send it back to the manufacturers, although guarantee just ran out

leogirl
leogirl Female
5 days ago
don`t risk your neck Minnie CLEANING THAT GUTTER,     leogirl.
leogirl
leogirl Female
5 days ago
leogirl
leogirl Female
5 days ago
leogirl
leogirl Female
5 days ago
Samx
Samx Male
5 days ago
Yes, that’s less to do with Covid, but Brexit. It was well known that Polish workers are more honest, reliable and cheaper than the British equivalent. Now that the Cowboys have full rain, many people are being taken to the cleaners, moneywise, shoddy work, missed appointments and delayed work. I am sorry to have used the forbidden word: BREXIT.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 days ago
I've just had builders finish replacing a lintel over a window and redoing a lad of rendering, including fixing it all up around the dormer windows, taking them back and doing it properly and not just sticking more concrete and render on top of whats already failing. From what I can see they've done a really good job, pricey though, but worth it not to have to have someone else come round and repair the repairs that wern't done properly the first time. Good builders are getting harder and harder to find, good any tradesperson, we've got to go through finding a new plumber now too. Our window cleaner does gutters and fascias, but I'm amazed at how many will only do the front windows and not the back.

Good luck in finding someone.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
5 days ago
Don't worry, Leo.  In the day, I would have shinned up the ladder like a monkey to do it myself, but with this issue with my muscles going on, I would quite likely get stuck up there.  You would have to get the fire brigade out to rescue me.  :D.

oooooh now, there's a thought.  lol ;)
asteer
asteer Female
4 days ago
Being a shorty I got fed up with that and got a gutter brush put in. They work like magic.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
4 days ago
The tradesmen I've used have been ok eventually but trying to get them out to quote takes a lot of effort and then chasing them up to start and finish the job.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 days ago
What's a gutter brush when it is at home, asteer?  I've never heard of one of those.  Is it a permanent fixture?
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
4 days ago
Hedgehog Gutter Brush in 4 m rolls is placed in gutter and stops leaves etc being deposited
leogirl
leogirl Female
4 days ago
my neighbour`s gutter brush is often dangling down after a bit of wind and has to me put back again. …  perhaps some  black string around the gutters will hold it in place. it prevents leaves collecting in the gutters , but what about the sand and moss that accumulates? 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
4 days ago
I tried with a real hedgehog and that didn't work either LOLOL
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
4 days ago
You'll have the RSPCA after you lol.
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
4 days ago
Try nextdoor.co.uk  it's an online forum that you join. You don't need to give much personal info if you don't want i.e. you could use the postcode for your local church / post office / school if you don't want anyone to pinpoint where you live. You need an email address then a password to join.  Once that is done there is a general search bar then you could put in ' window cleaner ' or ' gutter cleaning ' and any previous posts will come up. Or you can write your own post ( just like on here ) and you should find that neighbours will submit recommendations and you may find that window cleaners will reply as well.  I have used the site for carpet fitters / curtains to be taken up and decorators.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
4 days ago
If you or a friend has a Which magazine subscription you can look for trusted traders in your area. Or sometimes Age UK have lists of reliable trades people.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
4 days ago
The spread of ULEZ across many larger towns/cities will make it more expensive to get tradespeople.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
4 days ago
A large proportion of self employed tradesmen are struggling to survive mostly due to cheap competition from the internet which keeps their prices down while their overheads spiral.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 days ago
FBF, the local guy charged me half the price that the national company who let me down charged. The local guy had done the job in a few minutes when he used to come here. I think the real issue may have been that the guy who came yesterday didn't have the right equipment, but I explained very clearly on the phone what needed to be done and the difficulties with access. Though it was pretty clear as soon as he got out of the van that he didn't want to be there and didn't want to do the job. He didn't get here until it was almost dark.
I would much rather use a local firm and I always do by preference, but it is almost impossible to find them nowadays.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
Would those honest, reliable Polish workers be any of the nationalities that you would like to ban from coming to the UK, Sam, or would you have them picking brussel sprouts instead? I don't think that either of the options would get my gutters cleared.

Help with conversations