Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Correct

are you marking my home work?

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 days ago
I'm getting really irritated by the use of the word correct, when yes would do, it sounds patronising and like the person using it is trying to take a superior stand in whatever conversation is happening.
lindy
lindy Female
5 days ago
I use 'correct' when talking to call centre or officials on the phone and they ask my name and address [oft getting it wrong] and so back and forth til it's 'correct' :-) 
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
5 days ago
It takes a bit more than that to ruffle my feathers.

I do hate it when anyone says Oi! Oi! Saveloy!
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
5 days ago
ruffles in truffles
Samx
Samx Male
5 days ago
Language, like tastes is in the eye of the beholder. Few people use the full range of the English language (80,000 words), especially since the education in this country has been drastically reduced. Yes, is in most cases adequate, but correct is needed, not just in the affirmative, but if something is perfectly done. Language also depends on intonation. A gentle, that is correct, is encouraging, whereas a commanding correct, is a put down.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
5 days ago
"I'm getting really irritated by the use of the word 'correct', when yes would do, it sounds patronising and like the person using it is trying to take a superior stand in whatever conversation is happening."

Goodness. How judgmental and narrow minded of you, Wonderoushen, especially when arriving at a decision as to how much you may value, tolerate or appreciate someone else when such a judgement has to be based only on a limited 2 dimensional means of textual communication that we all have to utilize and tolerate.

Are you actually saying that other human beings must filter or adjust their own natural style of communication within your earshot?

What kind of a prima donna are you to dictate how other people should word or formulate their own personal means of literary interaction or communication.

I find some of your choice words very vulgar at times but, until this moment, I don't think I've ever chastised you for having such a potty mouth.

The fact that someone addresses or answers a question with the word 'correct', an entirely appropriate word, should not be enough to offend anybody.

I'm surprised you would throw your toys out of your pram over such a petty and miniscule issue.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 days ago
Correct is a good word in the right context, when speaking of something factual, as Lindy's example showed, but when its used as a word to agree with an opinion for example its an incorrect use of the word.

Yes I'm a human being, some little things really bug me, just as they do everyone else and I think you're a fine one to talk OTB when you're just as likely to go of on one about something you find irritating. You've never '..chastised..' me for my '..potty mouth' as you so quaintly describe it, because you know I'd be laughing like a drain and wondering why you were being a 'prima donna' and 'throwing your toys out of your pram over such a petty and miniscule issue'. lol.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
4 days ago
Panto season is here lol.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
4 days ago
oh, no it isn't.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
4 days ago
Top post!