Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Women, Life, Freedom!

Is this the begining

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
of a new start in Iran? The protests have been going on for weeks now, the regime is killing children as well as women and girls and men protesting on the streets. The Iranian football team refused to sing thier national anthem at last nights match against England, knowing that this will get them into trouble when they return home.

I hope the regime finally falls and people can go about thier normal business in peace, that women can finally be free to wear their hair loose or covered as they choose. I think the Iranian people are being very brave, taking to the streets being shot at, beaten and killed, its not just about the struggle for women to be able to dress as they please, but for all to be free of the oppressive regime that has ruled for decades.
terry
terry Male
5 days ago
I'm often in awe at the bravery of people, that must have taken some guts by the Iranian team, standing in front of the whole world knowing the dangers of what they were doing, and the women in Iran, fighting for what to us are basic human rights.

Let's not forget such forms of government are all across the middle east, africa....the world.
Colonel_Blink
Colonel_Blink Male
5 days ago
These people standing up for equality and a better life are extremely brave.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
5 days ago
In other countries, there are so many things involving different races, religion, politics, human rights, that it doesnt make any sense to me. I have to keep zipped, otherwise i can drop myself in the it, as a lot of the things are wrong, and all sorts of 'ism' type things come flying back at me. I sometimes havent got a delicate way of putting some of it.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
5 days ago
lol I suppose there's a very simple solution to that particular conundrum, Mr Egg.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
5 days ago
yeah, shut the f up lol

thats me, not you lol
Samx
Samx Male
5 days ago
I wonder, by what will the current regime, in Iran, be replaced? Under the Shah, the secret police tortured and killed people indiscriminately and he was replaced with the current religious dictatorship, doing exactly the same thing. Just the spin has changed.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 days ago
You said it, but I agree with you
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
5 days ago
That's what usually happens when there is a change of regime.  You simply swap one tyrant for another.  Chairman Mao only took over from the emperor and continued in the same vein.  Though I think it has a lot more to do with what the populace will accept in leadership and the tyrants merely occupy the gap that that the people have already left there for them to occupy.  Likewise, the British appear to be doomed to eternal serfdom, because that is what most people here seem happy to put up with.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
4 days ago
I've always been quite happy with this country and the freedom I enjoy here. Even more so when I look at almost every other country and see something worse.
terry
terry Male
4 days ago
Possibly going off topic a bit, but I see a link, perhaps others won't. Just seen a programme about a group called the South Stand Brigade in Indonesia, a group of female football supporters and what was interesting is how the fortunes (not just monetary!) of the club they support have changed, the club is PSS Sleman and  since the women took an active part in supporting the club much has apparently changed - one of the most interesting for me was how they no longer shout abuse or critiscise visiting teams or players, they treat them as guests even when the visitors abuse or attack them.

I wonder if women from europe or north america would behave the same, which leads on to, would we be a better world if women were more in power?
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
4 days ago
Men and women fans are much better behaved and swear less at women's football matches in the UK which have become more popular. At other matches I think the behaviour at other matches is more alcohol related than gender related.
Women having the ultimate power around the world? To be honest I doubt it would change anything.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
4 days ago
I think more women are or were in charge of things than we tend to believe. Theres the obvious ones, like The Queen RIP, and there was Thatcher RIP, not everyones favourite, but a major influence at the time.
then theres female leaders around the world, couuntries, businesses, etc
then theres bad ones, some of the toughest nazi concentration camp guards during the war were female.
then, last but not least, many households, its the women that 'wear the trousers'.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
4 days ago
I agree with Minnie, the same happened in Russia, was there any real difference for ordinary people between how they lived under the Tsars and under Stalin, the same could be said for Putin too.

I think in Iran there are so many young people they want the benefits of the modern world, they don't have a problem with women not being covered or working or going out. Maybe too, they're fed up with the shortages and sanctions, the lack of opportunities.
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
4 days ago
Before the ordinary people of Iran could see how other countries enjoyed freedoms they would have been easier to control but now they can see how much better life can be they want to be enjoying it. Reminiscent of the wall dividing East and West Berlin.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 days ago
Protests are growing across Iran and with support from Iranians across the world, unfortunately the areas effected by the worst of the state violence are Kurdish and it seems that this is becoming just another excuse to persecute Kurds.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 days ago
Unless you live in their very different world it's impossible to know which actions are good, bad, worthwhile or suicidal. Not the simple lives we are lucky enough to lead.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
2 days ago
In the early 1980's, I made friends with a couple of Iranian lads sent over here to get a proper English education by their wealthy parents and they were brilliant, spoke Ebglish better than myself and were a proper couple of friendly, approachable jokers.

Tiggen and his friend joined Tim (Stocker) and myself here in Bridport when we set up a window and carpet cleaning biz for a bit of a laugh one summer.
-
After eyeing up a dwelling, Tim used to have a certain patter by inviting potential customers with the following.

"Morning Madam. If you want yer windows cleaned ... you can have yer windows cleaned ... Only a fiver!"

OR

"Morning Madam. If you want yer carpets cleaned ... you can have yer carpets cleaned ... Only a tenner!"

And, after a few days of training, we had our rich Iranian friends taking over the round for us while we took things easy.

And it was HILARIOUS hearing then Iranian lads repeating Tim's sales pitch, especiually when uttered in their native tongue.

"Morning Madam. If you want yer carpets cleaned ... you can have yer carpets cleaned ... Only a tenner!"
-
I learned, back then, that Iran was extremely similar to the UK as far as having a highly trained and professional working and middle class; in fact, a society so like the UK in so many ways and although I am not going to Google to double check that fact from the 1980's, I bet that the real Iran, the Iran that we no longer get told about or the Iran we no longer see, is just the same as it ever was.

And I bet your average Iranian, even today, is NOT some towel headed terrorist nutter with a kaloshnikov but a perfectly sober, perfectly decent professional just trying to get by, head down, without attracting the attention of the current Iranian regime.

I don't have facts to support that but I do have memories of Tiggen and his friend, the pair of them being just like Tim and myself ... normal guys ... just finding their way in the world.

And all the aggressive or murderous rethoric from the Iranian leadership?

I bet it saddens the majority of Iranians just as it saddens us.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 days ago
The ordinary people of Iran didn't need to wait to see western freedoms.  Look at some old photos of Tehran in the 60s and you will see young women in miniskirts and looking hardly any different to young women of the same time in London.  They were well educated, held down responsible jobs and came and went as they pleased, much like we do here.  Tehran was a modern, happening city.  The Islamic revolution took the country back several centuries.

Help with conversations