Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Stephen Fry has said that he feels sorry for straight men.

Mazer
Mazer Male
2 months ago
Being gay is being attracted to a man or woman of your own gender and has nothing to do with sex. Just as being heterosexual is being attracted to men and women of the opposite gender and has nothing to do with sex.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
2 months ago
Mr Fry, when not using every avenue and orifice available to promote himself online, even on his own website which is little more than a shop front for his own snooty wares, is, at least consistent in maintaining an odious demeanour that few can match.

Selflessly, without fear of consequences, I’ve just stepped onto his website and what a dearth of fun that was.

Here’s what you can expect ...

On Twitter Fry writes;
“But now the pool is stagnant. It is frothy with scum, clogged with weeds and littered with broken glass, sharp rocks and slimy rubbish. If you don’t watch yourself, with every move you’ll end up being gashed, broken, bruised or contused. Even if you negotiate the sharp rocks you’ll soon feel that too many people have peed in the pool for you to want to swim there any more. The fun is over.”

On Mocking religions, he continues;
“Whether it is deluded pricks chanting Christian slogans like Anders Behring Breivik in Oslo or deluded pricks chanting Islamic ones like Said and Charif Kouachi in Paris the result is the same: in this breast at least arises even more, as if that were possible, contempt for the dumb, semi-literate, ill-founded, unreasoned drivel that forms the basis of their juvenile, crazed and self-defeating actions.”

And On Trump, he opines;
“For taking the name of the priceless mausoleum of Agra, one of the beauties and wonders of the world, for that alone Donald Trump should be stripped naked and whipped with scorpions all along the boardwalk. It is as if a giant toad has raped a butterfly.”

The man oozes poison routinely and effortlessly; reminding me, in some ways, of a bitter Kenneth Williams, (of Carry On fame), a man who was equally as vitriolic; something we discovered when his own diaries went to press back in the early 90's.
Hierophant
Hierophant Male
2 months ago
That's the left for you.
The rich ones in particular are the most tedious individuals you can come across. You only have to look at utter bores like Joe Lycett who recently pretended to shred £10,000 in protest of David Beckham going to Qatar and earning money.
All I saw when I watched the video was a rich gay bloke saying "look at me everybody, look how rich I am, I can afford to shred £10,000"
The funny thing was Beckham totally ignored him and Lycett then had to make another video explaining the money wasn't real and what a bad person Beckham was for ignoring him.
Why do so many gay people have to be the centre of attention and keep reminding the rest of us that they're gay?....
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
all the gay stuff just gets on my wick nowadays. I suppose that makes me part homophobic or something, but i just get fed up of it all around, being constantly remided of it, and then having to pretend that I love it,

Do you fancy coming to the gay pride parade,? it'll be great.

Me - No funnily enough, i dont thank you very much. I think i'll give that a miss.

I got chastised on here a few weeks ago for mentioning my dislike of anal sex in a thread. The thought of it disgusts me.
I was then informed by posters that being gay is not about anal sex etc., and its about a relationship
It seems as though many people block it out, as though it doesnt exist but I'm sure that many gays have anal sex. Certainly not all by any means, but a lot. But I get chastised for being disgusted by it.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
2 months ago
Nothing wrong with disapproving of anything. It's a free world.

Personally I love the gay pride weekend in Brighton but my enjoyment has nothing to with sexual orientations but thousands of people gathering to have a good time dancing and laughing and meeting new friends whether gay or not.
Being heterosexual or homosexual is about who you find attractive and not about any kind of sex.
In recent years anal sex has become a lot more popular and widely practised by women as well as men.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
Nothing wrong with disapproving of anything. It's a free world.

there certainly seems to be something wrong with openly disapproving of many things in the world, I dont think that needs me to tell people that. It is all around us.
There are plenty of disapproving things that people keep in their heads, but then it all seems to get outweighed, because people are doing things that others cannot speak up about. No matter where you are in the world, its not a free world. There are plenty of underground places where its ok to speak. So long as you do a furtive look, left, right, and behind, to make sure no outsider is listening, and even if its clear, you still have to whisper it a bit
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
There's nothing wrong with disapproving of anything. Some people want to share their disapproval or convince others and that's when they get problems.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
thats ok then, thanks for that. If anyone says anything, i'll tell them i've got your approval, and if they dont like it, i'll be sending big kate and saint around to sort them out.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
Some of us have gay children.
They didn't choose to be gay, and my son has said that life would be easier if he wasn't.
Believe it or not, I have no idea what kind of sex he has, just as he doesn't know about me.
I think we seem to be back to assuming that's what being gay is about.
There must be gay people who don't have any sex, just as there surely are heterosexuals who don't.
If it disgusts you Sonof, why do you think about it at all? Unless...
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
The original OP quote was from 2010.. why bring that up now? weird. 
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
G-O-W Female
3 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
Some of us have gay children.
They didn't choose to be gay, and my son has said that life would be easier if he wasn't.
Believe it or not, I have no idea what kind of sex he has, just as he doesn't know about me.
I think we seem to be back to assuming that's what being gay is about.
There must be gay people who don't have any sex, just as there surely are heterosexuals who don't.
If it disgusts you Sonof, why do you think about it at all? Unless...

Well said G-O-W
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
2 months ago
Mazer Male
5 days ago
Being gay is being attracted to a man or woman of your own gender and has nothing to do with sex. Just as being heterosexual is being attracted to men and women of the opposite gender and has nothing to do with sex.

You're right Mazer but a lot of people know very few gays (at least the ones they are aware of) so have little knowledge or understanding.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
We don't know who they are because they look, talk and behave the same as everyone else.
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
2 months ago
Interesting subject with so many differing views and opinions.

Help with conversations