Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Replacement food items

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
6 days ago
Although a bit before my time I was thinking back to the war days when cakes were made without eggs but these days it is more often about replacing items for vegans or those with an intolerance.

Cake without eggs?
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
6 days ago
A lot of ingredients were replaced by potatoes
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
6 days ago
Cake without eggs?

Yes, perfectly possible! I have a recipe from the 1980's.
Then there's chickpea water to replace egg whites for meringue, although I find it somewhat unstable.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
6 days ago
This is an alternative recipe for Bakewell tart using butterbeans.

Cherry Bakewell

1 tin butter beans (drained),
3 eggs,
5 tsp almond essence,
4 tbs sweetener,
1/2 tsp baking powder,
10 glace-cherries.

METHOD,  

Put butter beans, eggs, almond essence and sweetener in a food processor and blitz until its like batter,
Add baking powder and glace-cherries. blitz again till cherries are in small pieces, line a sandwich tin with baking paper and pour in mix bake at 180 (fan) for 20-30 mins.  you can also use chic peas instead of butter beans.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
6 days ago
I know powdered egg was used during the war at times. I think it was rationed though. I think people still use it now, but i'm not sure how good it is.
On QI once, they said that jam seeds were made of wood during the war.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
6 days ago
I sincerely hope that things don't sink that far.  
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
6 days ago
You could use frogspawn instead of passion fruit, it would probably kill the passion though, lol

Andy Mac
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
6 days ago
We had frogspawn at school. It was called Tapioca in those days.
fosy
fosy Male
5 days ago
the mention of tapioca made me think of semolina, so i looked it up and it turns out its very healthy for you [apart from the sugar content], so i,ll put it on the shopping list [with some jam].
Samx
Samx Male
5 days ago
Oh yes, substitutes, like edible plastic, are used in foods even today. In the Middle Ages sawdust was baked into bread to stretch it. During rationing sausages were stretched with water, hence they often exploded and called bang-ers. Some people, even today, call sausages lips and bums, but you do not want to know what’s really in them. Every part of an animal carcass is used in one way, or another……
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
5 days ago
When people mention replacement foods, I always think of gluten free bread, cakes, pasta etc made without wheat.  I hadn't really ever considered the vegan replacements as food.  As far as I am concerned, it is just another way of introducing processed junk into your diet and I have always tried to avoid highly processed chemicals with little nutrition value.  

You also need to bear in mind that veganism is a political movement that has very little to do with nutrition.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
5 days ago
I know powdered egg was used during the war at times. I think it was rationed though. I think people still use it now, but i'm not sure how good it is.
On QI once, they said that jam seeds were made of wood during the war.

We can cope with very little when we have to. Many have never had to.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 days ago
A lot of ingredients were replaced by potatoes

The humble potato is an amazingly versatile food.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 days ago
Do you eat the potato skins?
Greencare
Greencare Female
3 days ago
I do.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 days ago
You don't have to make it with loads of sugar fosy.

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about internet supermarket shopping and what items were replaced with, as I've heard of some nonsensical blunders.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
3 days ago
A lot of ingredients were replaced by potatoes The humble potato is an amazingly versatile food.

When they arrived in Ireland, cottage pie/shepherd's pie lost what was their usual pastry crust topping and replaced by the abundant and more available potato, which is why we have the mashed potato topping today.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 days ago
Becky Excell is the Queen of gluten free baking.
She also includes vegan versions.
fosy
fosy Male
2 days ago
w/h,

i actually bought some today !
being a lazy bloke i bought a tin of ready made ambrosia semolina, and a jar of harleys strawberry jam.

im very curious to see if it tastes as i remember it, or whether years of abusing my taste buds will have dulled the taste.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 days ago
The good thing about any supermarket replacements or mistakes is the ease of getting a refund especially as you keep the complained of item too. Generally a replacement is similar but of higher value.

Help with conversations