Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Freezing weather

on the way

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
7 days ago
Apparently, for next week, I looked up our weather for the week ahead and its the usual chilly wet weather we usually have.

Are you in for a freeze?
terry
terry Male
7 days ago
Not sure about a freeze, I've been feeling the cold for a couple of months even though it's been warmer for the time of year. The trees still haven't lost all their leaves and today I saw bees flying around but weather eports for up here were saying rain and wind....I'd best cut out the brussles sprouts!
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
6 days ago
It's been really mild down here in South Devon, usually 10-12 c around 8.15am   until yesterday ! it was 5c in the car at 8.45am and only rose to 9 c later on. So time to get out the dogs' knitted jumpers - tho the elderly dog ( 15 ) has been wearing her lightly quilted coat anyway when it's 10 c in the mornings. If it's cold and wet then it's fleece lined waterproof coats :)
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
6 days ago
Our forecast gives some sunshine, some rain and a bit breezy. Nippy but not freezing.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
6 days ago
I was reading the other day about the effect the cold has on the human body, the experiment was undertaken in laboratory conditions, it begins at 21c and then is dropped to 10c.

At this point you have to remember this is10c constant.

Blood flow to the brain fell by 20% … Mean arterial blood pressure (systolic and diastolic) up from 99 to 110 mmHg, heart beat went from 55 to 65 beats per min and skin temperature all over the body dropped by an average of 2c but the body core temp remained the same at 37c, the body does burn more carbs though.

So imagine when it gets colder your body is gonna have to work much harder so things like heart attack and stroke become very real but in hindsight you could loose some weight burning those carbs, ha ha

Andy Mac
Samx
Samx Male
6 days ago
What is all the whinging? We are in the latter part of November, close to winter and must expect the weather to get cold, damp and depressing. Cheer up, Christmas is just around the corner!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
6 days ago
6ft deep snow in New York and other parts of America.. Its cold here yes, were hiding out in our rooms. 
Greencare
Greencare Female
6 days ago
I don't think it's whinging Sam. The British weather is very changeable so many find it an interesting subject to discuss and comment on.
fosy
fosy Male
6 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
something i,ve not seen before, a bush/tree [dont know its name] with most of this years leaves on it but also new buds !

as kids we called it the sticky bud bush, buds that are a good inch long and very sticky, and usually one of the first signs of spring.

a very confused bush indeed !
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
6 days ago
I thought someone would have identified it for you by now fosy. You need that app on your phone which identifies each plant and tells you a bit about it.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
6 days ago
Its pretty cold out this morning, 0 degrees.. brrr
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
6 days ago
A bit warmer in Buckinghamshire. Well above freezing but cold and heavy rain on the way. Still a bit brrr.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
6 days ago
Flippin freezin in Hertfordshire, next door.  I might have to turn the heating on.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
6 days ago
Would it be a magnolia, fosy?

I think we're all noticing the drop in temperature more this year as its gone from september temperatures to november ones almost overnight. With all these news reports of snow, ice, white xmas's BBQ summers its so often one place in the country, its rarely the whole country, I'm sure some newspapers just make it up for a slow news day.
fosy
fosy Male
6 days ago
hotty,
good plan, but i dont have a smart phone !
fosy
fosy Male
6 days ago
w/h,

i really dont know, my flora ID skills start and end with grass...;¬)
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
6 days ago
Fosy, when i was a kid we called them (Pussy Willow) i'm sure thats what you described sounds like.

Andy Mac
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
6 days ago
Fosy, sticky buds in Devon would open as horse chestnut (conker).
Of course, there might be other shrubs / trees with that name in other parts of the country.

I've just walked past some, but as it was pelting icy rain in my face, I wasn't looking much.
I'll look at the weekend and see if ours are doing the same.
If so, you're right, it's very confused.
I had bizzy lizzies flowering alongside primroses in my garden at the end of the summer. Something I've never seen before.

Sam, you should know by now, we Brits love talking about the weather. It's not a serious moan.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
6 days ago
It's been a bit cold but the heavy rain hasn't stopped all day.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
6 days ago
It's the amount of flipping rain we've had in this area of Londonshire, it's been torrential, and there is now a chill in the air after being so mild. It's been warm enough for raspberries to still be growing on the plot. Looking forward through next week the day time temps are lower after the weekend but night time temps are holding up in low single figures mainly due to the cloud cover.      
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
5 days ago
Its been cold and wet here all day and the lowest overnight temperatures so far.
fosy
fosy Male
5 days ago
amg,
arnt pussy willows furry as i seem to recall?

gow,
thats possible, but i have not seen any conkers in the area [its a car park i use on a daily basis.
will have a closer look tomorrow...its bugging me now !
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
5 days ago
If it's black fosy, it's ash, but wouldn't be sticky.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
5 days ago
Looks like a very wet night here.
fosy
fosy Male
5 days ago
gow,
they are VERY sticky.... thought i was going to have to get some solvent to get my finger off ...;¬)

Help with conversations