Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Just two questions

terry
terry Male
2 months ago
What, if anything, do you feel strongly enough about that would make you protest?

How would you protest about it?
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
2 months ago
nothing comes to mind that I would go round carrying a banner and things and disrupting.
Theres plenty to protest about, but maybe i'm just too old and lazy in my old age.
Perhaps something will happen that changes things, but ive never been in a protest so far, so my 'When do we want it? NOW' banner remains safely locked away.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Theres a country park down the road from me with woods thats a red squirell habitat, its due to be felled to make a holiday park, when asked about what happens to the squirrel which are an endangered species the official answer is they'll find somewhere else. No local except the councillors seem to want this development, so when they turn up with the chain saws I will be one of the ones protesting.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
2 months ago
I've protested about a few things. One was for traffic calming measures on a notorious local road and the other was for better facilities at a special needs school. I did join protest groups at both venues and both protests resulted in some success.
Mazer
Mazer Male
2 months ago
Aren't red squirrels and their habitat protected in law?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Thats what we all thought too, but either there are ways around the law or the council is ignoring the law.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
"Red squirrels have been protected against intentional acts of damage or disturbance since 1981 under the UK Wildlife & Countryside Act (WACA), Schedule 5. Protection for red squirrels and other species was amended by the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act, 2004 to include both intentional and reckless acts. Subject to certain exceptions, it is now an offence to ‘intentionally or recklessly:

– Kill, injure or take (capture) a red squirrel
– Damage, destroy or obstruct access to any structure or place which a red squirrel uses for shelter or protection or,
– Disturb a red squirrel while it is occupying a structure or place which it uses for that purpose.’

Anyone who carries out, or knowingly causes or permits these acts to occur could be committing an offence"

Seems clear enough to me W'hen.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Usually with fine art, debate, online activism, signing petitions or in an actual protest. 
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
Maybe get onto your MP, or is he in their pockets too?
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
If PP has already been granted it sounds like a foregone conclusion
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
I'd still want to metaphorically ruffle their feathers.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
'What, if anything, do you feel strongly enough about that would make you protest?

How would you protest about it?'

Probably a hard hitting leaflet campaign.
I jest, that wouldn't be environmentally friendly.

I've wracked my brain, but can't recall ever taking part in a protest. I rejigged that, because 'protesting about anything' is different and I've landed in hot water by viewing my opinions in the past.
No placards or banners though.

Is it too late to start?
Can I make the banner 'artful', carry a hotwater bottle and be home in time for tea?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
The MP won't touch it, I think its to big of a hot potato for her and she says its a purely local thing, Sir David Attenborough, Prince William, and Prince, now King Charles, have been asked for thier support too. The campaign to stop the development group are trying to raise enough money for a high court challenge.

We had a really poor choice of candidates in the local elections, many of the main parties didn't stand, but there were 3 independents, they all seemed to be in favour of developing the tourist trade still further, along with new big energy projects such as Wylfa 2. The one I met was very cagey when asked about anything that could be termed contravercial.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
I'm not one for doing anything in group so the many protests I have made in my life I have done on my own but no less forcefully than I would have done if I'd formed a protest group.

Help with conversations