Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I've eaten a whole 180g bar of chocolate

... please tell me I'm not alone in this!

G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
I didn't mean to.
I meant to make it last.
It started OK.
Then the day threw me a curveball - and the chocolate was already open!
Why does chocolate (substitute whatever your food vice is) call so loudly?
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
13 days ago
In perspective that is around 625 calories - or about 1/3rd of an adult female's daily calorific needs.

So no need to worry as you can adjust what you eat for the rest of the day to compensate

Or exercise it off by around 78 mins of running (minus whatever other exercise you have done that day)
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
I used to have the same problem. If I opened a bar of chocolate, it had to disappear as soon as possible. As I’m getting older I can control these urges better. I know long the chew chocolate, but let it melt in my mouth. Depression last longer and so does the chocolate.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
I used to have the same problem. If I opened a bar of chocolate, it had to disappear as soon as possible. As I’m getting older I can control these urges better. I know long the chew chocolate, but let it melt in my mouth. Depression last longer and so does the chocolate.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
Sorry for the repetition, at pressed send, but the message didn’t leave right away, so I pressed it again and again.
connexkev
connexkev Male
13 days ago
I used to do that a lot but I have to be careful now when it comes to chocolate. I still love it thought.
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
13 days ago
I'm not sure what the world record is for chocolate, but sometimes I feel like i could be close. Same with other things as well. Usually its just normal type amount, perhaps going a bit large at times, but sometimes its massive large, I could eat for England. World eating cup winner.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
13 days ago
Based on things you've freely related on these pages, diabetes will be heading your way real soon if you continue that kind of a chocolate binge at your weight and age and, based on your own confession, would it not be a good idea to have a blood test to see if you are already in the potentially dangerous Pre-diabetes phase of life? Because you are the exact, typical candidate adding to the current diabetes wave sweeping the west currently.

The above written with care and not with judgement lest someone assumes otherwise.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
13 days ago
Indeed having a HBA1c of just 4.0 puts one in the PRE DIABETIC category
sonofEasteregg
sonofEasteregg Male
13 days ago
i was exaggerating a bit. I would be nowhere near a world record, but certainly my appetite varies at times. Sometimes just not hungry. Other times really hungry. Chocolates at christmas are passed around all day, The tins and the boxes and novelty santa things.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
Was that for me Beach?
Gosh. I consider myself told.
You do have a way with words.

I've only walked 3.5 miles today, so less than usual + some dancing (in the kitchen).

I can't remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink and I gave up smoking at 18.
I drink mostly green tea.
Was having a decaf coffee about once a week, but gone off that.
No sugar in any of my drinks.
Eating more carbs than we did, it's true since (diabetic) husband left. Probably not as many as most though as I'm not keen on potatoes and I'm gf. Gf bread is extortionate!
Don't have takeaways. Make almost everything from scratch.
I know all about diabetes, you see.
But yes, I've eaten too much chocolate recently. Where others may get drunk, I eat chocolate!
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
My blood sugar was fine the last time I checked it.
Admittedly that's a while ago.
I have a health check coming up.
I'll ask.
Blimey, I'm stressed now.
Don't worry, there's no more chocolate.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
13 days ago
Don't shoot the messenger, G-O-W. :-) I was just offering thoughts gleaned from my own scrape with pre-diebetes since my broader, bigger health drama began 14 months ago.

Book the test and just get on with dancing and stuff ... perhaps indulging in one or two squares of chocolate ... every couple of days!
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
13 days ago
(SP) diabetes
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
13 days ago
Depending on walking speed and your weight a 3.5 mile walk burns around 330 calories

So allowing for the evening walk with pup you should have burned off most of the choc bar cals
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
13 days ago
The HBA1c test does not need any fasting - as it measures the average blood sugar over a 10/12 week period ie the lifespan of each RBC
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
1 or 2 squares of chocolate a day or 2! Are you stark staring mad! A woman should have at least 5 squares a day, for women chocolate is a food group all on its own, my doctor told me, so it must be true!
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
13 days ago
Thanks for the guidance, Hen becasue ... Well, technically, since the therapy cut off my ... testosterone, I'm a woman now too so I'd better double my own chocolate intake!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
As long as its dark chocolate you'll be fine
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
13 days ago
A quick check online suggests a bar of chocolate is now about 75% dearer than last year.
terry
terry Male
13 days ago
I've eaten a whole 180g bar of chocolate
... please tell me I'm not alone in this!

You are not alone.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
12 days ago
Thank you terry!
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
12 days ago
True W'hen, I had a Dr tell me that.
I had been eating a vegan chocolate that was darker, but this wasn't, I can't lie. It's a salted almond one from LIDL and it's blooming lovely!
I haven't had it in week's. I'll have to abstain again. I only go there once a week anyway!
fosy
fosy Male
12 days ago
boydel,

i thought a reading of 42-48 was the scale for pre diabetes using hba1c results [not sure about the higher figure].

my hba1c is 41/42 and the surgery start banging on about starting a diabetes course, but when i go to my renal clinic they say im not diabetic as my glucose results are 4.8, well under the upper limit.

what to believe ?

Help with conversations