Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Cooking

Are you a foodie? Do you enjoy cooking?

Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
I love food. I love cooking and I love eating and trying new things.

When I was still working, one of my rituals to chill after a stressful day was to cook something nice. For some reason, I especially find chopping vegetables to be therapeutic and calming. Or maybe I was mentally thinking of removing bodily parts of the people who had annoyed me during the day lol.

Yesterday, I made a summer fruit Bakewall tart. The jam layer was replaced with cherries, blackberries, blueberries and black currants from a bag of Aldi frozen fruit. I shared some of it with my two friends a couple of doors down. My friends love my home baking and I like to make them a cake to say thank you. Something lovely about cooking and sharing food with the people that you like and love.

Today, I have gone Indian style. Where I used to work in Slough, there was a lovely Indian lady in the sub post office next to where I worked and we became friends. She taught me such a lot about Indian cookery. In her memory, I have spicy spinach for my tea, Brinjal (aubergine) bhaji just finishing cooking, and spicy baked white fish parcels in the oven. My mouth is watering in anticipation.

Do you like to cook? And what is your favourite meal to make? Do you have any memories that you associate certain foods with certain people?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
I do love to cook, most of the time.
I too find chopping veg therapeutic. Not sure if it's the rhythm or the mental detachment.
Being gf *and having had a large family), I tend to make everything from scratch; lasagne, curry, spaghetti bolognese, chilli, fish pie, paella...
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
13 days ago
I'm 50% foodie. I have no desire to cook but the greatest desire to eat. I like almost all foods and eat out a lot .. sometimes fast food, and sometimes gourmet food. I enjoy eating out with friends and on dates.

I might be partial to a Bakewell tart :)
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
She's probably otherwise engaged.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
12 days ago
LOLOL
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
12 days ago
I can be a total foodie, I love to cook, I will volunteer to cook xmas dinner, I don't see what all the fuss is about, its just a big roast dinner, although its not something I particulalry enjoy eating. I don't bake at all now the kids are grown up, I love to cook Indian food and have learnt loads from my DiL. I only really have Mummyhen to cook for now and she loves everything I make, I often give my friend Indian food as she loves it, I get feedback now I've persauded her that I really do want feedback and arn't fishing for compliments. Over the last few years my cooking has been more 101 things you can cook with ingredients bought from an average supermarket, which here isn't to much. I miss being able to buy the sorts of spices and fresh nad frozen herbs I'm used too. My kids come down laden with ingredients from curry mile in Manchester and leave laden with things like jams and chutneys which I love to make and pasties, it seems to be a hanging offence for me not to have made loads of pasties for everyone to take home.
Samx
Samx Male
12 days ago
I used to cook a lot, but no longer, because I live alone. I still prepare sauces, like Bolognese, in large batches. I eat one, put another in the fridge and the rest freeze in portions.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
12 days ago
Is making a bolognese not cooking? I make big batches of that and other things like chilli and curries to freeze for later, I freeze pasties too, they only take 25 mins to cook from frozen.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
12 days ago
Nyotaimori used to be a great way of enjoying sushi but I think today's society would set the villagers and their burning torches on me if I dared pursue such an art form these days. :)
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
12 days ago
Not the same with sausage egg and chips.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
12 days ago
Egg and chips are lovely when you are really hungry.  Washed down with a nice hot cup o' tea.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
11 days ago
No sausage for you then?
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
11 days ago
Not unless they are gluten free.  I am more likely to have bacon with egg than sausage.  Assuming that we are still talking about food.

Help with conversations