Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Coach trips

Do you?

Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
Do you go on coach trips? Would you?

I am getting the coach from my home town with a couple of friends to see Cirque du Soleil in Birmingham at the end of October. It makes it a bit of a long day, but I think hassle free travel, no parking worries, and a bit of company. I have wanted to see the circus for a long time and it is pretty spectacular, from the clips that I see on facebook. I've always enjoyed watching dance, acrobats and gymnastics, so it should be a good day out.

I've always thought about coach trips as being a bit old biddie and not my style, but when I booked the ticked for the above trip, I started to look at some of the other trips offered. I can get to various places on the east coast or south coast for £26. You arrive at 11.00 and come back about 5.00 pm, so you get plenty of time there. I love the seaside, the ticket cost is a lot less than a tank of petrol, I can take a nap on the way, and now I am retired, I have plenty of time, so I thought I would give it a go. I love a little adventure.
Samx
Samx Male
13 days ago
I recently came back from a coach tour holiday. Yes, I agree, it is a bit old biddy. Yes, I agree, it is slow and boring at times. But at the end you’re safe going and get back. At one of my clubs we organise day trips on coaches. Probably this is more bearable, as it is only a short day. I would never pay for only a coach holiday. In other words, travelling to a hotel by coach, then, the next day travelling somewhere else, and so on, only on a coach.

I have seen the fantastic cirque du soleile show in Vancouver. You have a great time, experiencing it.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
Go for it, I remember going on coach trips when I was a child, to places like Kew Gardens, various palaces and NT properties. Why not have a day out as you say, its cheap and you don't have to drive and can relax.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
Well, since then, I have been looking at shows in London.  After commuting to East London for a year from Hertfordshire, the idea of travelling in up to London fills me with dread and I don't fancy the train back late at night anyway.  The coach trip is less than the rail fare and I can arrive home in safety on the coach.  I'm not much into musicals, but I have wanted to see Phantom of the Opera for a while, so I may go to see that.I didn't think I would fancy the holidays, but there are one or two short ones in the UK that I quite like the idea of, so who knows?  Plenty of time to get my perm and blue rinse in preparation.  ;)
terry
terry Male
13 days ago
The problem I have with coach trips is there's no smoking on them now. I used to work with an ex. foreign travel coach driver, he loved the job because the tips/collections for him were far better than his wage.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
Do they do singles cosch trips MtM?Imagine if you got stuck next to someone who thought they were perfect for you, and the feeling wasn't mutual!
eurostar
eurostar Female
13 days ago
I travelled by coach through France Holland  Belgium and Germany, in fact I met an mse member in Germany for a drink lol coming back through London was a nightmare loo
Kallone_1
Kallone_1 Female
13 days ago
I've been on coach trip holidays and day trips to the theatre and to the coast. I'm in a wheelchair but I can manoeuvre myself on the coach so I don't need any special attention. Very good value for money.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
13 days ago
Is it still compulsory to sing "oh I do like to be beside the seaside" on the way there and "show me the way to go home" on the way back?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
"Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to Bangor. A beautiful day, we had lunch on the way - and all for under a pound!"
Molly
Molly Female
13 days ago
I'm not too sure about the singing lol. .
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
12 days ago
We have been on several - single days and several days. Always enjoyed them, plus you get to see the scenery, which you don't when driving yourself.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
12 days ago
Its not a perm and a blue rinse you need, but to hang your best coat in a cupboard with mothballs for at least a fortnight before travel and a large bag of peppermints for the day of travel, my uncle used to refer to habitual coach trippers as The Peppermint and Mothball Brigade.

I used to take the coach to Skye several times a year, travelling overnight, I always felt safer on the coach and the staff were lovely.

My parents went on several coach tours around Europe and Scotland, they enjoyed them, you always get at least one person who annoys you, the only downside is the amount of time you stop at each place, some you might have no real interest in and feel you're there to long and not long enough at places you've always wanted to see.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
12 days ago
I used to look forward to the Autumn/Spring seasons when the coach/travel company "Shearings" used to offer great value 4 day/3 night weekend coach trips to destinations around the UK & Europe. Even with the very modest single room supplement (only a fiver a night in the UK, so perfect if travelling alone) the cost was an absolute bargain seeing as it included the coach with local pick-up, half board accommodation with buffet breakfast & 3 course dinner, usually an outing in the location and sometimes even 4 free drinks on the Saturday night. Yes, the to and from journey's used to be quite long days with feeder coaches to/from the hub, pick-up's/drop off's and then comfort & lunch stops on the journey but it was all part of the trip and made a change to sit back on the very comfortable coaches and let the always excellent Shearings coach drivers take the strain.   

Yes, there used to be a lot of older couples on the trips but it was quite often a very mixed group too.  

Sadly Shearings (& their Bay Hotels) as was, went the way of so many others during the pandemic and went out of business and the company that acquired the brand, website and vehicles, Leger Holidays, are way too expensive (including a ridiculous single room supplement penalty) so are just not as attractive as before. 
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
12 days ago
I didn't know Shearings had gone TBA.
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
12 days ago
I heard it had been bought by Leger Holidays who said the would retain the Shearings name.
eurostar
eurostar Female
12 days ago
Shearing still advertise as shearing on tv
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
11 days ago
".....the company that acquired the brand, website and vehicles, Leger Holidays"

!
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
11 days ago
I've not been on a coach trip for a long time but I might look at their itineraries now.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
11 days ago
I found myself going down a wormhole looking for coach trips you could take a dog on!
Ended up looking at dog Friendly eateries. Add that to GF and we may struggle.

My original intention was to get a camper van and a dog for company.
I seem to have done it the other way round!
I'd still like a camper, when finances permit.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
10 days ago
A dog can change almost every aspect of your life. It's like having a young baby LOLOL
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
10 days ago
It is HOW!
We noted that when I went out with a friend, all the extra stuff, food, water, wet wipes, poop bags.
I wouldn't change it though. If need be, I'll just find dog friendly accommodation and stick her in the car. She likes travelling.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
7 days ago
I am considering a coach trip just for the ease of everything and it might be a good chance to have a quiet read.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
7 days ago
I couldn't read on a moving vehicle.
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
7 days ago
That might be a problem for me too MtM.

Help with conversations