Conversation Help and Advice
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

British Gas Scam

On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
14 days ago
Scammers are impersonating British Gas with fake emails tempting recipients to click a link to get a fake energy refund.

This email scam offers you a refund, (in my case £185) for overpayment of energy in 2020-2021 but any official energy refund is managed through the British Gas website and your online account, not over emails like this.

Plus they call you by your email name not your real name.

Just be careful if you get a similar mail yourself.
Samx
Samx Male
14 days ago
Thank you for the warning on-the-beach. It is hoped, that this does not anger you, yet again. Incidentally, I don’t predict things. I’m no prophet, just read the signs and suggest possible outcomes. So far, despite being ridiculed on numerous occasions, I have been pretty much on the button with my assumptions. Of course, events can be interpreted in many different ways and, in contrast of others, I do not nastily criticising the opinions of others.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
14 days ago
What are you on about Sam?
Mumsie
Mumsie Female
12 days ago
Adds to all the other scams sent to us Would ignore as am not with British Gas any more, not for a few years now 
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
It's not just BG I'm getting texts from other companies to click on links to apply for the energy discount so if anyone has any doubts, ask your energy company.From the Gov website:
Energy Bill Discount £400 off energy bills for households in Great Britain from this October. This automatic, non-repayable discount will be applied in six instalments between October 2022 and March 2023 to help households through winter.

There is no need to apply for the scheme and you will not be asked for your bank details.

https://helpforhouseholds.campaign.gov.uk/help-with-your-bills/
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
Filthy scammers preying upon the vulnerablespit spit
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
12 days ago
Action fraud are also reporting a National Insurance scam that's currently in circulation, an automated call claiming that NI numbers have been compromised. I had similar with HMCR telling me I was in trouble with tax and that I could face prison.. press 1 to stop this from happening etc etc.. after calling HMCR directly I reported the number on the GOV website.https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/alert/warning-national-insurance-scam-leads-to-surge-in-calls-to-action-fraud#:~:text=Victims%20have%20reported%20receiving%20an,be%20connected%20to%20the%20caller%E2%80%9D.
Sea
Sea Female
11 days ago
Hi Beach, that is one reason why I have discovered it is best not to have an email address with your real name. One with my reall first name is just full of spam now, so have another. If you have a different name as an email address then it is easy to spot a scammer, if they call you that. But I had a scam email a while back from British Gas, saying I had an unpaid bill at my previous addrfess. As closed and I had confirmastion of that I just ignored and marked it as 'Spam'. Maybe expecting a reply, for you to correct them on their error, stating when you had moved out and where you had moved to etc. or just to pay the bill without query? Anyway I didn't.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
11 days ago
Hi Sea,

My OUTLOOK account, (formerly Hotmail), is now seething with spam and suspicious emails yet there is no apparent means of filtering or having such mail intercepted by the service.

I have several email accounts including Gmail but my main personal email, (in my real name), is getting too frustrating to use and I'm now thinking of leaving my main email addy and Outlook altogether.

I'm shocked Microsoft offer zero help with the junk and spam mail they allow to infiltrate my email account. :-(

I've checked online and this is just how things are; there are 1000's of people like me complaining about it but there is no solution.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
11 days ago
I don't get spam in my Gmail often, my mobile gives me a spam detection warning that's pretty cool. 
Mumsie
Mumsie Female
4 days ago
check the email address that can often be an indication its SPAM , NOT THE EDIBLE ONE haha

Help with conversations