Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Should everyone have a photo?

Are some photos worse than no photo?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
14 days ago
I've been asked a few times why I haven't got one.
Mazer
Mazer Male
14 days ago
I find it strange that anyone looking to date doesn't have a photo. Those who are not looking to date and those who have a legitimate reason not to have a photo fair enough.
Greencare
Greencare Female
14 days ago
Worse are topless man and topless man with fish lol.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
lol @ Greencare.  
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
lol @ Greencare.  
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
I don't have anyone to take a picture of me.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
So, why don;t you have one, CM?
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
14 days ago
Should everyone have a photo? Are some photos worse than no photo?

Plenty of dodgy profiles exist with pictures cropped from elsewhere and there's plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't have a photo uploaded. So no guarantee either way that what you see (or don't see) is what you'll get if you did decide to go on and meet up.
A lot of it's down to trust but I've found out to my cost on a few occasions in the past that giving people the benefit of the doubt for their reasons can lead to some very uncomfortable situations.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
14 days ago
Comment removed.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
Nothing to take a photo with or anyway of uploading one and it wouldn't do to offend OTB with my ugly mug.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
14 days ago
LOL ;)
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
14 days ago
I posted an ok photo but the site chopped my head off and blew it up making me quite fuzzy lol.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
Fuzzy might be quite good for us lot on here.  Most of us probably have fuzzy eye sight too, so it may not matter.
petergarratt
petergarratt Male
14 days ago
Hi I am back after being caught up with catfishing not a very nice experience and also he he .suffered from NPD ( narcissistic personality disorders) simply saying he was nut case .
I had help from a family therapist and a Therapist/ medium.
As I did not follow MSE rules of diverting to a email is a lesson I have now learnt.
2 items where I was advised on 1 ignore the photo shown as it could be anyone, 2 if it looks like you have a match ( and have been told that it is a good way of meeting someone on a dating/ friendship site) then ask to meet within the first month, if serious about each other.
Samx
Samx Male
14 days ago
I believe, that many of the photographs, even on MSE, are NOT representing the age of the person, whereas mine is. Either be truthful or don’t represent yourselves with a false/old photograph. The Computer/tablet camera can take a selfie of you, which you can then post on here. Of course, vanity has got something to do with all this………
eurostar
eurostar Female
14 days ago
I update mine according to hair colour lol think I.m staying blonde now, silver blonde lol
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
14 days ago
No blue rinse euro?
eurostar
eurostar Female
14 days ago
Nah but could be tempted for lilac lol
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
14 days ago
I had a photo on here which was about 10 years old but it wasn't done to deceive but simply the photo I uploaded and I felt it looked like me. Nobody ever said it didn't look like me! I now upload regular photos of myself or sundry things for no particular reason.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
I don't have a computer camera.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
14 days ago
Noo, I'm too elderly and ugly so I think its quite a good idea to remain hidden behind a pink avatar!
Greencare
Greencare Female
14 days ago
I now upload regular photos of myself or sundry things

Did I see a new girlfriend on your profile png. lol.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
14 days ago
Claiming not to have a computer camera or smartphone is the most lame, unbelievable and silliest excuse ever because it is nigh on impossible to find a device, smartphone or laptop without a camera these days and even without such devices, it would only take a few seconds for even a helpful stranger (or friend) to take a photo of someone and send it to their email, thereby instantly being a file available to upload to Midsummer in that common jpg format.

Making a photo compulsory would also help with site vetting and security as far as keeping the riff raff and numpties at bay.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
14 days ago
Are you bored Beach?

I had a 'lovely' man message me.
He was good looking, wrote nicely. Perfect.
Except I smelled a fish and did a Google lens on his picture. Having found the rightful owner of the picture, (who was not unknown in the business world) I asked a few questions.
Result; it sure as heck wasn't him!
connexkev
connexkev Male
14 days ago
Minnie, you can take a "selfie" photo on your mobile then upload it to the site. 

Help with conversations