Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

When should one start

to think of Christmas?

Samx
Samx Male
16 days ago
It is just unbelievable, that one of the TV channels has started to show Christmas movies since the 8th of September! I mean, really? It would not be too bad to start in November. The same channel last year, shows presented the most awful Christmas movies: slushy, badly acted, horribly directed ones!
What is your opinion on this?
Jeff
Jeff Male
16 days ago
In thread "Happy Christmas Too soon?" midsummerseve.com/thread/200343/1/happy_christmas on 21-Jul-22 I listed many Christmas films shown from 22 July onwards, and there were probably some shown before that.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
16 days ago
For those who love Christmas and there are a great many who do, it can't come too soon. Christmas movies are supposed to be a bit slushy with sometimes bad acting. It's light hearted entertainment and a chance to escape for a short time from all the serious issues in life.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
16 days ago
But then it is a Freeview channel lurking down in the lower reaches of the guide (at #52) which most Freeviewers more than likely never venture to and pretty much most films on that collection of "Great!" Movie (formerly Sony movie) channels are either out of The Ark or were straight to video, so no great shock that many are shockers. As to when to start some local card shops had crimbo stock out before August Bank Holiday, so September already seems a bit late to be joining the race. 

lol  
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
16 days ago
With 100 or so free channels to choose from I think I can manage to avoid one if it's not to my taste.
eurostar
eurostar Female
16 days ago
I watch the Xmas film channel lol yeah it's crap but it's feelgood slushy stuff lol and yes I have the odd few presents in already lol
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
16 days ago
You're a star eurostar.
Samx
Samx Male
16 days ago
I too, have to admit to selectively watching Christmas films early. My problem is that only very few are worth to do so from these wall-to-wall Christmas presentations.
Regarding presents, I accumulate (buy/make) them at any time in the year.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
16 days ago
Telly is easy to avoid, xmas cards in charity shops in august not so much, Home Bargains has its full xmas decorations out, other shops are following suit with puddings and other stuff lurking in the aisles to ambush the unwary.

There are a couple of things I've bought to put by for xmas, I always try and spread the cost over two or three months, but once its bought it goes in a drawer and is forgotten about often until I go to wrap things.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
16 days ago
The only thing I enjoy about Christmas is spending time with family, it's about the kids being happy. Sack all the pressure advertising and hype, rubbish films and T.V. Die hard, Gremlins and a Peroni for me, that's my tradition.

I usually leave things until the last minute. Once the tree is up it stays up, I think I took it down February last year. 

Once dinner is done and we've had family meets that's it, back home, everyone disperses and I'm bored to death. Same thing every year. Usually can't wait for it to be over. 
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
16 days ago
I don't think about Christmas, at all, now that I have stopped working.   I used to look forward to the mid winter holiday as some well earned R&R, but I really don't think it is much fun when you don't have any family to share it with.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
16 days ago
For those who love Christmas and there are a great many who do, it can't come too soon. Christmas movies are supposed to be a bit slushy with sometimes bad acting. It's light hearted entertainment and a chance to escape for a short time from all the serious issues in life.

Christmas goodwill is there for those who want it. I like seeing everyone who enjoys Christmas making the most of it especially the kids.
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
16 days ago
Good post Neros but there will always be a few who thrive on negativity and are only happy when they find something to be miserable about.
Mazer
Mazer Male
15 days ago
Christmas often cheers up even the biggest miseries.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
15 days ago
Actually there's a significant increase in mental health issues, anxiety, depression, loneliness and worry, increase of debts and pressures to buy leading up to and during the Christmas period that make many feel miserable.https://www.priorygroup.com/mental-health/christmas-and-mental-health
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
15 days ago
You can't help yourself Pixiefluff and a couple of members have already mentioned this today. Take any situation and you will think of something negative to say about it. Do you not have even a glimmer of joy in your life? Are you always self-righteous and preaching?
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
15 days ago
But then it is a Freeview channel lurking down in the lower reaches of the guide (at #52) which most Freeviewers more than likely never venture to and pretty much most films on that collection of "Great!" Movie (formerly Sony movie) channels are either out of The Ark or were straight to video, so no great shock that many are shockers. As to when to start some local card shops had crimbo stock out before August Bank Holiday, so September already seems a bit late to be joining the race.

lol

Lol.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
15 days ago
Whoo hoo ... two whole days off for Christmas this year!
Oh, but hang on, I don't work those days anyway.
Oh, the joys of working in retail.
I will soon start preparing and freezing down the Christmas main meal. It's the only way I can cope.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
15 days ago
I look forward to Christmas but think it should start no earlier than November.
connexkev
connexkev Male
14 days ago
I am nowhere near ready for Christmas. I usually do everything at the last minute.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
If I have lots of visitors then I enjoy doing all the cooking.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
I enjoy cooking too, but luckily I can do that now.  I have a summer fruit bakewell tart in the over, as we speak.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
oh dear, well, my tart may be a disaster.  my post reminded me that it was due to come out of the oven and I rushed downstairs to rescue it from the oven to find that the topping hasn't set.  I do hope that my oven isn't about to go on the blink.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
14 days ago
It might be an idea to cook and have your Christmas Day dinner before the end of the month while it's still mild and the heating's not on.With the impending energy price cap rise on the 1st October it might not be possible to turn the cooker on as well as the heating in December and 3 more months of inflation impacting on food prices might have made things just too pricey. 

Still on the bright side at least by Christmas Day the nights will be drawing out, so every cloud etc....

lol   
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
Happy little soul, aren't you, tba? :)

Help with conversations