Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Smellies.

Do you like a partner to wear a nice smell?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
17 days ago
Or are you one of those boring "prefer natural smells blah blah blah" types.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
17 days ago
It's nice to meet a man who smells good.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
17 days ago
Can't think of a bigger turn off than poor body hygiene, but I don't like overwhelming aftershaves that stop you in your tracks at 100 paces either.  A subtle cologne is nice or the lingering perfume of sandalwood soap or vetiver.  I always quite like Old Spice.  Do they still make that?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
17 days ago
As Minnie says  poor body hygene is a turn off, but I don't like aftershaves or perfumes, most of them make my breath catch in my throat, some make me wheeze, if they're in the air then my lips and tongue can start tingling and swelling, if I get them on my skin then my skin comes up in red burning blotches. So yes I'm one of those who prefer boring natural smells or no smells at all.
eurostar
eurostar Female
17 days ago
I like nice smells but also dettol is good lol 
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
17 days ago
That would be a very unusual aftershave.
eurostar
eurostar Female
17 days ago
Works for me lol
Samx
Samx Male
17 days ago
Overpowering smells are a turn off, as it is extreme make up. Let’s be as natural as possible, with a little help from the cosmetic industry.
Greencare
Greencare Female
17 days ago
Most of the men I've known who think natural smells are best do not have the best of natural smells.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
16 days ago
Everyone is sensory in my home. Smells are important, perfumes are important, getting the right scent to suit the body and hormones can be a mission. Natural scents are nice, coconut oil, for some things, hair, skin... not keen on anything flowery at all, rose scent and that makes me want to yak.  lavender is too potent for me, prefer it in the loo. For an inexpensive scent it would be white musk, or vanilla light spray.. a more expensive scent would be a nice combination of vanillas and perhaps pistachio, as long as it's cruelty free, and not flowery. Always scent up even if I'm going to dig in the dirt. Might be a grunge baby but never leave home without hair and make up done and smelling good.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
16 days ago
Most of the men I've known who think natural smells are best do not have the best of natural smells.

That's the truth haha. So much nicer to have a lovely smelling aroma.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
16 days ago
Now theres a thing Pixie, coconut makes me feel sick, I like the smell of rose as long as its a spicy musky rose and not one of the sweet ones that smell of old ladies if you know what I mean. I love the smell of frankinscence, I used to make my own body lotion with a bought plain lotion and a mix of frankinscence, vetiver and rose essential oils.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
16 days ago
There are plenty of good smells around as long as they are used sparingly.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
15 days ago
I like a lady smelling nice.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
15 days ago
In theory the aroma of a natural body is unbeatable but almost everyone I have known who says those words are sadly a bit on the smelly side.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
15 days ago
B.O. eurgh!
Some aftershaves can turn heads, in a good way, others could kill flies!
I remember my (elderly) mum commenting "Ooh, he smells nice!" She wasn't talking about my Dad - he didn't do aftershave!
When I smell dettol euro, I wonder what infection they're treating!
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
15 days ago
In theory the aroma of a natural body is unbeatable but almost everyone I have known who says those words are sadly a bit on the smelly side.

That is spot on :)
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
15 days ago
NS, I think smelly people say that as an excuse for not washing.
Molly
Molly Female
15 days ago
There's no excuse for not smelling nice.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
14 days ago
Would it be controversial if I said men are less hygienic than women? It's what I believe.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
It would Andromeda, but I think you're right, having worked in hairdressing I can definately say that the proportion of unwashed men to women is far higher.

Molly, does that include not smelling of anything much at all?
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
13 days ago
Peter Wyngarde smells ...... Great!
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
I don't think that men are necessarily less hygienic than woman, though I have known a few who purposefully choose to avoid any kind of cosmetics, including the use of under arm deodorants; the latter of which is a mistake, even if you do wash regularly.  Though I am aware that there are women who like the smell of fresh male sweat.  I think the real problem is that women most often have a much more acute sense of smell than men, so an unwashed male really does smell revolting to them.  The men who choose not to wash most likely can't even smell it, so they have absolutely no idea.  
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
12 days ago
Peter Wyngarde smells ...... Great!

He smells very much like Jason King.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
11 days ago
That was an advertisement for Tabac. A good ad but not as good as Henry Cooper splashing it all over . Brut for men :-)

Help with conversations