Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Presents

Do you prefer giving or receiving?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
17 days ago
Do you experience much of either?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
17 days ago
I prefer giving presents, I rarely know what I want for xmas or birthdays and when I do people don't seem to want to buy it for me, although I admit that a couple of tons of top soil would of been hard to wrap, lol
eurostar
eurostar Female
17 days ago
Both lol giving is lovely seeing the persons face and receiving nice stuff is amazing too, lol
Samx
Samx Male
17 days ago
Has everything in life, give and take in equal measures is the golden rule. At my age, presents are no longer an issue. Living in a small flat, but not much room to move, just pointers to receive stuff to keep.
Greencare
Greencare Female
17 days ago
I prefer giving. I like shopping for presents to give.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
16 days ago
Not into stuff that holds monetary value, if someone scribbles a nice note or scrawling, I'll regard it as a gift, it's art. keep it in a memory box safe, then rack my brains thinking of something of an equal match with sentiment to give in return. Paint a picture, or design a card or more frequently share food that I grow, or make something from our produce to share. I enjoy the sharing mentality at the allotment, love the gift of fresh food. The effort that has been put into growing it, bringing it to sucsession,fruition, and appreciating processes of that, to the generosity of giving it really is an admirable gift. To the process of it becoming a meal or treat that's plentiful for more people to enjoy.. more gifts.. more of a giver than a receiver. Although, do not misinterpret kindness for weakness.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
16 days ago
I enjoy looking for original or unusual presents for the few presents I buy. Buying presents for children has always been the most enjoyable.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
16 days ago
I'm rubbish at choosing presents.
Molly
Molly Female
15 days ago
I like giving and receiving presents as long as it is done with goodwill.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
15 days ago
I don't enjoy shopping for presents and a lot of the time I receive presents I don't need. If I buy anything it will probably be a voucher. Maybe I'm a party pooper lol.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
15 days ago
I love shopping for presents and spend ages choosing just the right thing, often I see something quite random that I know the person will love.
Molly
Molly Female
15 days ago
I think men usually find it more difficult to choose presents for women than vice versa.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
14 days ago
I think men usually find it more difficult to choose presents for women than vice versa.

I don't think many will disagree with that.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
In my experience thats because men generally have less experience in buying presents than women, because its always been something that women in the family do, or they don't listen to what the woman wants or likes or don't want to buy what she would like.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
14 days ago
That's how I feel wonderoushen. It has always been the women in my life who have chosen presents for everyone. I don't like the idea of buying something which is not wanted or will not be used. I would rather spend a bit more knowing it's wanted. Women have often wanted clothes and I know it would be a big mistake if I did the choosing lol.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
14 days ago
I think it is a lot harder to buy for a man.  The kind of things that they say they want are usually prohibitively expensive.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
14 days ago
I just get socks lol
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
14 days ago
I find that too Minnie and they often go out and buy all the stuff that could be bought as presents at the end of november.

Why should it be a big mistake png? Ask them to give you a few options so as you can choose some, make sure you know the size, look the clothes they already have, its no good getting a silky nightie person something cutesy and thermal, or vice versa. If you know what sort of perfume they like then get some of the other products in the range such as shower gel and body lotion.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
14 days ago
You can usually find something in Ann Summers.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
14 days ago
Tasteful!
;-)
terry
terry Male
13 days ago
Whilst I love giving presents, I'm actually rubbish at choosing them and generally get a look of disdain or anger when I give them. As for receiving, luckily I very rarely receive any...perhaps one every couple of years
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
Top post!
Top post!
I've always found present shopping really stressful.  I never know what to give, unless I see something spontaneously that I know that someone will love.  The amount of clutter in my house and my endeavours to reduce it so that I can get ready for a move means that I view receiving with some anxiety, as I don't want more stuff that I need to find somewhere to put it.  There is something far more valuable to give and receive and that is time.  There is never enough of it.  Now that I am not working, I have more time to give freely and I would rather go and help a friend with something they need doing or spend time with them in their company, than be distracted by material goods.  Likewise, I would much rather that people who care about me would want to meet for a coffee, or go for a lovely Autumn walk and kick leaves in the woods and chat and laugh, or maybe come with me to a show, than buy me stuff. I love spending time with children and over the summer holidays, I have spent time with a friend's little girl teaching her how to sew.  Poor kid suffers a lot with anxiety, as have I throughout my life, so it was lovely to teach her new skills, listen to her talking and give some gentle guidance and reassurance.  We shared something precious and I treasured the time we spent together.  My one regret in life is no grandchildren and my little friend's grandmother would be about the same age as me if she had not died too young from breast cancer.  She and her younger brother seem to have adopted me and I receive little gifts that they have made, via their mother when I see her.  Most recent was some hand painted rocks.  You cant give anyone a bigger gift than time and your love.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
13 days ago
How lovely Minnie.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
13 days ago
It was lovely, Wh.  I really love those two children.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
13 days ago
Both. Prefer thoughtful over splashing money.

Help with conversations