Conversation The Forum
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

COVID 19. 3 years on.

Where are you? Is it still a thing? Is life back to normal?

On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
19 days ago
C19. The deadly non living virus.

Does it still impact your life or influence your behaviour in some fashion?

How have things been?

What are your thoughts on the whole drama?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
18 days ago
I've started visiting my old home again, seeing my Grandchildren, taking public transport, so far so good. Nobody seems to care too much anymore, I have jabs however I'm debating the fourth one. I wear masks at the doctors or chemists. Still avoid shopping when can. Home delivery mostly. I went to a Rammstein gig, 30,000 people in a stadium, was fine didn't catch anything. Travelled to Wales and back using public transportation was fine too. Although I do feel uncomfortable around large amounts of people sometimes and try to avoid, but will risk an event or occasional outing. Haven't been in contact with anyone since Monday and feeling unwell this morning, I will take a test shortly to be sure it's not COVID related.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
18 days ago
Covid didn't impact on me or my life too much. I didn't mind wearing a mask. I didn't mind distancing and found a lot of the time when out walking or stopping for a coffee outdoors instead of indoors, people were more friendly than ever before and they are friendly in any case in this part of the world.

If I hadn't had access to the news the past two years would have passed me by and I wouldn't have been aware of any virus at all.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
18 days ago
Months ago, people at the allotment were telling me from a distance that they had COVID, which really annoyed me in the sense of If you know you have it why aren't you isolating? As we use shared facilities like the taps and rest rooms, it put me off going for a while, In my head it was like we have been so careful for ages now how can we really avoid getting it anymore?I do think if you know you have it you should stay home. Less people test more frequently because of having to pay for tests. But if I had a regular flu I'd still stay away from people to avoid spreading and I feel the same about COVID.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
18 days ago
I still wear a mask at times and also have enough test kits for a while yet. I noticeably wash my hands more often than I used to.
eurostar
eurostar Female
18 days ago
Covid at the very beginning scared me, but after 6 weeks off I was back in work, less scared as time went on then my son had his accident and covod tules totally hit me with hospital visiting etc it was an awful time no a nightmare time time hindered by covid rules, living through lockdown was very similar to working while I had chemo and radiotherapy a few before, being careful as low immunity, Bike riding through lockdown was a joy lol

But what I have noticed is how many others lifestyles changed, how the economy has changed, my neighbours still don't go out, a lot of workers work from home, a lot of hospitality places shut down never to reopen, I think a lot have become more selfish,good or bad, with their time and choice of lifestyle, 

Some will stay in isolation for years, some will now party for years , surely it has impacted everyone even slightly ?
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
18 days ago
Pubs and shops have not recovered yet and some smaller businesses are closed down for good. My life is back to normal.
It's impossible to judge what might have happened if we hadn't had the lockdown and what could have happened without the vaccinations. Maybe most of us would be dead. Maybe not much would be different. We can only guess.
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
18 days ago
Infections are down. Hospitalisations are down. Will be just like the flu. A new vaccine every year.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
18 days ago
I can go to the garden centre again, which was about the only thing I really missed. I suppose it could be said that I had a good lockdown, out for a walk with Fearn every morning then out in the garden most days. The thing I have noticed is that supply issues are still effecting us, supermarkets can still look a bit Soviet era with great big gaps on the shelves, I've not been able to get wholemeal flour for weeks now, unless I want to pay megabucks for it.

I think it will be a new vaccine every year like flu. Summer isn't a good time for covid as UV light kills it and it like cold and damp, so we might see a rise in cases and hospitalisations come winter. Like another poster said, if we'd not had lock down and restrictions then we don't know how much worse it would of been, but I suspect it would of been much worse.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
18 days ago
It's very much back to normal. I sometimes see one or two people wearing masks in the street, usually elderly, but we don't know other peoples situations.
Life has been somewhat different for a while. Brexit. Covid. Ukraine war. Queens death.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
18 days ago
Thank you for all your insightful comments. As a kind of a litmus test, it is reassuring to note that every one of you takes the ongoing threat seriously and responsibly even now, and with good reason, I suspect, as the still deadly, (to some), non living virus is surely likely to pick up again as the winter months approach.

Agree. MrQuiet.

Brexit. Covid. Cancer. Rejection by Jackie and the children. (Distancing themselves so they won’t have to care for me when I get really poorly? Who can blame them IF that is the reason for the heartbreaking snub) Biopsy collateral damage cock up giving me a 3rd DVT AND sciatica (loss of feeling in ball of foot), 60 foot tree falling through the shed, greenhouse, fencing and 1000 litre water tank, Dad's death. Ukraine war. Queens death. Hormone therapy keeping me alive but giving me horrendous night sweats and hot flushes and making me put a stone + in weight on, impending radiotherapy treatment; which is troubling considering how the NHS has dropped the ball with my previous treatments ... (Subsequently they just scare me now and that's that)

But on the bright side, once I awake and thaw out, life is good and, while I don't open up the Beach Cottage lobby to allow folks inside like in the old days, I have my PC related wares out on display at the bottom of the passageway PLUS I've re jigged the outbuildings to accommodate further, (mainly Linux based), laptops and PCs for sale - having now installed solar sourced 240v in both ... and I still greet customers out in the garden where a low 18" gate provides a natural barrier (though it can easily be stepped over), between customer and myself as we chat out in the fresh air.

I now visit the Hope and Anchor again, maybe once a week and while it is no longer packed sometimes shoulder to shoulder at weekends when we have live bands as it once was, it is lovely to see friends I've known for 40, 30, 20, 10 years plus ...
-
Things are actually just like they always were but not quite like they always were as if somehow, somewhere, someone invented a time machine, ran it just the once and imperceptibly changed the past a tiny bit but just enough to give the air a subtly different smell and an apple a subtly different taste.

And that's just how life is these days ... Just a little bit different ... and as several of you have pointed out, we'll never quite know how our lives were supposed to unfurl because we're all on a slightly shifted trajectory, now continuing our existence in a parallel universe not originally destined for us. Or was it?

It wasn't the Ray Bradbury "A Sound of Thunder" sci fi fictional death of a prehistoric butterfly, (the butterfly effect), that changed the future though. Rather, it was a huge schism ripping its way across the whole of humanity so we should pat ourselves on the back and thank ourselves for putting the machinery of our civilisation back on a set of shiny steel tracks oh so close and parallel to the ones we were pushed off of before the pandemic hit.

But the strangest thing for me?

While the rest of humanity will share a huge global sigh of relief and move on from this nightmare, I am left with a different future; a future where there is no such escape and in that sense I feel ... well ... I feel kind of left behind. :(

But there. I'm good today so why would I let any potential negative future event interfere with this wonderful Friday afternoon? :-)

And that's a philosophy I aim to deploy every day until it no longer applies.
vintagedave
vintagedave Male
18 days ago
O T B,
I can answer your question by relating my own experiences a few months ago.

On the evening of the 25th April I was admitted to St James Hospital Leeds for a procedure on a tumour on my right kidney. I was required to have a Covid test 48 hours before admission which seemed logical. I went into theatre at 8-30 on the 26th, and moved to a general ward for a few days to recover. On the afternoon of the 27th I was moved to another ward as I tested positive for Covid, and spent the next two weeks in isolation. I also contracted sepsis !!

It has taken me some time to get over Covid, and so, yes it has had a considerable influence on my life ! I did not take to being shut away for several weeks with the only visitors being medical staff in PPE !

The experience has made me very aware of the impact Covid can have. I wear a mask whenever I am in contact with the general public. Both for my benefit, and theirs. I carry hand wash with me, and I use it.

Please everyone, do not get complacent. I considered myself fit, and healthy and yet caught this thing long after the epidemic was supposed to be going away. And I was taking precautions !

Stay safe, David.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
18 days ago
That's grim, David but thank you for your account and your call to remain vigilant because, sure, this thing isn't yet over and yes, it can still knock even healthy people about quite severely. (My friend Martin is only 40 something but it laid him out bad for a week after he went to a school reunion and caught it).

Covid deaths this week were an average 85 a day (very close to a similar 72 flu deaths a day recorded in 2019) so, perhaps, we shouldn't get paranoid anymore ... nevertheless ... unless you're a conspiracy enthuisiast denying reality in favour of preferring the excitement of various fictional accounts, it is still pertine to take all and any measures to maintain good health.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
18 days ago
(SP) pertinent
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
18 days ago
But there. I'm good today so why would I let any potential negative future event interfere with this wonderful Friday afternoon? :-)

And that's a philosophy I aim to deploy every day until it no longer applies.

Brilliant approach :) love it. 
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
18 days ago
Pubs and shops have not recovered yet and some smaller businesses are closed down for good. My life is back to normal.
It's impossible to judge what might have happened if we hadn't had the lockdown and what could have happened without the vaccinations. Maybe most of us would be dead. Maybe not much would be different. We can only guess.

We can guess that without the precautions taken there would be a lot more dead.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
18 days ago
Where do I start?
'Go to work', they said.
'No, we don't have any screens yet, no we can't guarantee you won't catch it and die.'

The worst thing?
The abuse from people who didn't see why they should keep their distance/ wear a mask/ use the hand gel.
I took all kinds of abuse while asking people to to give space to my colleagues and wear their masks.

I thought I was going to die and leave my children with no parents.

It messed with my head to the point where I needed counselling because I couldn't sleep and when I did, I woke early crying.

No, I haven't caught it. I'm very much in the minority where I work.

Horrid horrid disease.
Horrid horrid experience.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
18 days ago
Agree Gow ... and so sorry to learn that you suffered so much at the hands of others.

I've spent (and had) 2 and 3/4 years without as much as a hug or any human touch from anyone (aside from NHS staff) till very recently (and lost a girlfriend I scolded for coming to see me by breaking lockdown at the beginning of things) and living through those lockdowns entirely alone really knocked me about psychologically - even before the wheelbarrow load of drama, ill health, dad's death and the C thing took over.

I've only hugged my sister (and a couple of female friends), in the last few weeks.

Being so gregarious and friendly, these have been (nearly) three very miserable years ... though all is well and back to normal now.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
18 days ago
Thanks, Pix.
Helenuk1963
Helenuk1963 Female
17 days ago
With 2 very vulnerable people in the house we're still being very careful. However for most people it seems to be in the past, which just has the knock on effect of us having to be more careful.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
17 days ago
Agree, H63. Some folk remain completely oblivous where social etiquette is concerned.

I wonder what the autumn and winter will bring? Heck, I wonder what the current Queen's funeral will bring considering the millions amassing together in London currently.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
17 days ago
'Heck, I wonder what the current Queen's funeral will bring considering the millions amassing together in London currently.'

I shudder to think!
twinkle2
twinkle2 Female
17 days ago
We had our booster today. We only stopped wearing masks in supermarkets and buses recently. We were asked to wear masks at the vaccination centre.
Here in Salisbury the city is still struggling to recover from both Covid and the Schripol poisonings. The buses have a shortage of drivers resulting in unexpected cancellations. The rise in energy costs is causing smaller businesses to reduce their opening hours.
Dudley2000
Dudley2000 Male
17 days ago

We can guess that without the precautions taken there would be a lot more dead.

It's important to remain vigilant and especially so in taking advantage of further vaccinations as they become available.
Kimjongun
Kimjongun Male
15 days ago
According to P Trevor, it will be just like the flu.
Like the flu that missed a year and was replaced by a remarkably similar illness?
Excess deaths have been up recently.
And it is not Covid, even with manipulated figures!
In some countries like Canada it is more obvious,
They are trying to normalise heart attacks in young people.
There is even an advert in this country where a young footballer collapses .with a heart attack.
What could be causing these heart problems?
Time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Help with conversations