Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Google is so irritating at times

Aely
Aely Female
2 months ago
I hate the way Google thinks it knows what I am asking better than I do. Today, for instance, I was Googling my brother's name. It begins with an A. Google decided I really wanted Amazon! If I enter something beginning with an F, it insists on Facebook being my required destination. Grrr!
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
2 months ago
It's not Google. Rather, it is more to do with you or the way your device is set up to access Google. Predictive text or search suggestions can be edited, personalised or switched off entirely.

If you're refering to the suggestions you see under the Google search box, I'd say you were over reacting because, (obviously), Google will offer popular possible search suggestions but that process is certainly not invasive.

Jeez. You have access to a vast oracle of knowledge at your disposal ... yet you are chastising it ... being entirely ungrateful.

Don't blame the Google search engine for attempting to help you. Blame, instead, your own ignorance and lack of grace in appreciating it.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
Nothing worse than a lack of grace. :)
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I often feel the same Aely, we're supposed to have the world at our finger tips and we get the same old rubbish again and again.

OTB, not all of us are techinically minded, some of us find tech stuff really difficult, especially when its supposed to be intuitive, it seems like intuitive really means s0d what you want, we'll show you what we want you to see and make it really hard to find anything else.
terry
terry Male
2 months ago
Fully agree with you Aely, search engines are not really engines you can search with, they are simply programmes firstly, for sale to the highest bidders, then secondly simple sorting systems for particular words used in the search box.
What I find amazing is so called intelligent people are happy to accept the rubbish service such things as google give.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
2 months ago
OK ...

I retract my initial frustrated knee jerk comment ... and apologise. (I wouldn't dare talk that way to a customer paying me for similar PC related tuition so why would I be so abrupt and rash in my online comment to Aely?

Sorry, Aely.
Aely
Aely Female
2 months ago
OK, Beach. It didn't sound like you. Bad day? So how can I stop it (wrongly) predicting? If it helps I'm using Firefox search bar.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Google pushes all the companies who are paying for advertisements to the top of your search which pushes your own query down the list.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
Money talks.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
It can be very annoying as it caters for those paying rather than those searching.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
There's probably just as many who think it's great that all they have to enter in the search box is one letter and then click straight into the most searched for selections. Just another need it now short cut that most demand.    
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
2 months ago
Aely. Try DuckDuckGo or Epic browsers for a Google free experience.

It'll remove Google search giant results, (which is, perhaps, good) but it might leave you feeling short changed because, aside from the advertising, (and prompts), the superior Google search algorythms often deliver the most insightful results.

And the price paid for that quality of search?

Cynical advertising in your face, of course.

There are 'ethical' browsers available also.

Once is called Ecosia? It runs entirely off solar panels so doesn't burn Co2 style fuel and they plant trees with their revenue also. (I think they use the Bing search engine from Microsoft though so you'd need to weight up whether you thought that was cool or not).
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Bing bings me up with everything but the intended I find.. 
Mazer
Mazer Male
2 months ago
I shout yahoo when they get it right.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
Once is called Ecosia?

I do use Ecosia sometimes.
As i write this the current running total of trees planted by the Ecosia community
is 158,364,790 and rising by the second.

But if you put "A" in the search bar the first things that come up are Amazon and then Amazon Prime.

So it doesn't matter what search engine you use it will still choose the most popular.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
It's still a good service and free to search.
Aely
Aely Female
2 months ago
Looks like I shall continue to suffer the irritation.
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
2 months ago
Google likes to irritate.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
Technology likes to irritate lol.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
That's true Andromeda.