Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

TOP POST ROSETTE and other changes.

Andromeda
Andromeda Female
23 days ago
Have any of the changes been for the better?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
23 days ago
I haven't seen any other changes Andromeda - apart from the (much mentioned) pop up box on home page over threads.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
23 days ago
We have the extra reply box along the bottom of the screen.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
23 days ago
A poster suggested on another thread they could bring in a chat room.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
23 days ago
I forgot about the extra reply button.
Somewhat low key, the changes.
Kev mentioned the live chat, but I don't know if he knows something (we don't).
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
23 days ago
There have been several comments on other threads about the rosette. I agree it will serve no purpose and up until now I've seen no evidence of anyone trying to earn it with numerous excellent votes.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
23 days ago
"Gow Female 11-Sep-2022 07:40
I haven't seen any other changes Andromeda - apart from the (much mentioned) pop up box on home page over threads".

So, you should check out the thread I started on Thursday morning "Operation London Bridge-London Bridge is down" when the early news of the day was of concern for the Queens health.

Your comment, with 5 thumbs up, has received a Rosette.

Another change I've noticed has been to correct something that obviously some programmer thought was a bit of a giggle in a previous update some years back.

When you cut and pasted the OP's name/date details and the post text in your reply it used to insert "sexy beast" after their name !!

Now it puts the gender of the OP after their name.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
23 days ago
I don't like the change with the author of a thread no longer showing when our view the forum.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
23 days ago
Was it really "sexy beast"?

I thought the label stated "Sex Icon" referring to the gender of the (software) icon to depict.

`
Molly
Molly Female
23 days ago
I don't remember that.

Neros Sexy Beast 1954. :)
Molly
Molly Female
23 days ago
That's a bit embarrassing as it was meant as a private message and is only a private joke.
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
23 days ago
I've done the same thing myself Molly.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
23 days ago
All of the recent changes here, and those before them over several years, have been instigated as 'fire fighting' measures to deal with unwelcome glitches, security omissions or failures OR mere flippant, cosmetic or superficial ones and have included nothing significant to either offer added value to the site, improve navigation or use of the site by members or to inspired new traffic or membership to Midsummer.

And, to my knowledge, aside from being solicited personally to offer new ideas to improve the site, as I was back in around 2002, (Before the conversation rooms), I have never seen an initiative to canvass or ask Midsummer membership for ideas on ways to improve or enhance the site. (Though Adminton, (Gordon), may have offered a listening ear in the days when Admin actually used to interact publically with the membership.

Even basic things like "X has updated their profile" or "X has added a photo" or "X has replied to your post" or "X has added a comment" would, perhaps, stimulate greater interaction here, (and those ideas are pretty underwhelming, I admit), but, as for Admin wishing to contribute to our wellbeing by actually putting some toys and puzzles in our rat cage to stimulate or entertain us?

No. We are ignored ... left to pace ourselves up and down our bare online prison; uncared for, unloved and just an unwelcome distraction to the admin team that claims to oversee or maintain this place.
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
23 days ago
I have often thought that a notification that your post, or that particular thread, has been added to would keep conversations going.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
23 days ago
I would of thought that would only be the case if you were online at the time FBF, you'd either be interupted by constant pings on your phone, or your email inbox would be cluttered up with notifications.
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
23 days ago
"I would of thought that would only be the case if you were online at the time FBF, you'd either be interupted by constant pings on your phone, or your email inbox would be cluttered up with notifications."

On a thriving, lively friendship or dating site, such notifications in an email box or the pinging of a phone were exciting because they indicated that you were engaged with a dynamic community.
-
What are you saying, Hen?

That you like the quiet funeral parlour atmosphere of Midsummerseve as it is?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
23 days ago
TBA;
'So, you should check out the thread I started on Thursday morning "Operation London Bridge-London Bridge is down" when the early news of the day was of concern for the Queens health.

Your comment, with 5 thumbs up, has received a Rosette.'

Really?
I hadn't noticed.
Well, in that case I'm all in favour of it obviously! (Lol).
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
23 days ago
I wouldn't want constant pings to my phone, but it would be nice to be able to tag someone so they could see you'd replied to their comment. Perhaps the notification via email, etc, could be optional,  but flag up when you log in. @On-The-Beach
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
23 days ago
No I'm saying that I don't want a cluttered inbox as its to easy to miss important stuff among reems of trash, I wouldn't want to be interupted by constant pings, other peoples phones doing that drives me crazy it makes it hard to have a real live face to face conversation.
eurostar
eurostar Female
23 days ago
You could turn that option off wondrously, I turned all my email.options off on this site so I never get an email off them,so unless I log on I never know if I have a message a wink a look etc.but some may prefer to be emailed ,
I actually have my email notifications turned off so unless I log onto my emails,which I do 3 x daily I.m not aware I have an email even lol
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
23 days ago
"I wouldn't want to be interupted by constant pings."

You wouldn't have to ... if there was such a feature.

You wouldn't have to tolerate such interuption unless you set the option in Settings here at Midsummer ... just as you can already control and turn notifications ON or OFF with the existing inhouse PM system routinely anyway.

It would be a feature for those of us who wanted it ... if it existed ... but it doesn't ... just like Midsummer doesn't allow profile avatars, photo or video uploads in posts, etc.

Anyway, it's a futile conversation and one we've had a million times before.
-
Hell. "AS IF" ... we'll ever have to concern our little minds with the annoyance of hubub, noise and activity here on the quietest most exclusive (empty) friendship and dating site in the whole of the known multiverse. :)
On-The-Beach
On-The-Beach Male
23 days ago
I can't contain my excitement.

I notice a STAR icon I can now click to make an original post a favourite.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
23 days ago
I can't contain my excitement.

I notice a STAR icon I can now click to make an original post a favourite.

Wakey Wakey it's been there for years lol
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
23 days ago
I would turn it off if it ever became a thing, which by the sounds of it is unlikely.
Greencare
Greencare Female
23 days ago
I remember the old chat rooms but it wouldn't work on this site.

Help with conversations