Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

I've just discovered...

We DON'T have a hosepipe ban!

Aely
Aely Female
A month ago
I'm with South East Water. I've checked online several times but only today discovered a bit tucked away on their website confirming that the ban does NOT cover Farnborough, Aldershot or Basingstoke which , although in Hants, are served by SE, not Southern water as is most of Hampshire.

It won't affect my behaviour at home but if I can't cope using a bucket down my allotment I might resort to judicious hosing if it is needed to save my beans, raspberries and corn. I pretty much switched to bucket watering when Southern announced its ban as I was well aware of the lack of rain here. I had been using bath and washing up water at home for flowers before that, using clean water only for my tomato plants which are in my back garden and for the bird bath. The bird bath has been extremely well utilised lately both by one of the local felines (Jinx) and by my flock of sparrows, with as many as 5 in the bath while others were just taking a drink from the edge and others waiting in the adjacent bush for their turn.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Have you considered getting a pressure sprayer Aley? The big ones might be too heavy but a smaller one might help? They're easier to manage , about 20 quid Argos..
Aely
Aely Female
A month ago
Would that be for the allotment or the bath water?

Down the allotment I can tell when somebody on another allotment fills a bucket. The flow reduces by half. 3 people using hoses at the same time and one might as well water by spitting. The council have to foot the bill for the water so keep the pressure very low.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Either, really they're quite useful. I know allotments have differing rules. My friends allotment has no water supply at all, ours we cont use hoses other than to fill up a water butt, and my ex father in laws allotment they can use hoses.I've recently fallen out with some people who are overusing the water far too much and it isn't fair on other users. Especially if you're waiting hours for them to remove the pipe from the taps so you can fill a watering can. The pressure sprayer I have waters the greenhouse very quickly and I feel it uses less water. 
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
A month ago
I'd be furious too Pixie. I expect everyone to abide by my own self imposed rules. If they want water I'm more than happy to tell them how much and how soon.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
Ferrous metal alert incoming...
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I think I would trot over to the other end of the hose and ask them to top up my watering can.
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
A month ago
I would do the same Minnie. Would you look menacing?
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
Not at all, I would just be my usual charming self and smile very sweetly and say that I can see that they are obviously very busy, so could I just have a few drops for my can please, so that I can get on with the rest of my jobs.  You catch a lot more flies with honey than you do vinegar.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
A month ago
Mustn't confuse Minnie-the-Minx with Dennis-the-Menace lol
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Lol I'd be back and forth a lot..one watering can is nowhere near enough.. no they leave the hose connected to the tap and the other end in the water butts and go off to other plots, I do use pleasentries with other people I have time for not people who take the P and are overly greedy. When our rates go up next year they're the main reason why. Nobody uses 50 watering cans a day and and fills two water butts for their plots, aside from those people.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I really struggle to pretend to like people .. I either do don't, and if I don't I wouldn't smile and be nice to get what I want from them I'd just avoid them. 
Mazer
Mazer Male
A month ago
Don't all the scariest of murderers smile as the go about their dastardly deeds.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
A frightening thought Mazer. That's why I don't like clowns.

Help with conversations