Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Do you have any kitchen appliances or utensils...

...that you've used for eons!

G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
I have a Magimix that I've had for decades.
A stainless steel colander that goes on and on, and a scoop for egg boiling - used to put eggs in and remove.
My set of knives and saucepans have also gone on for years.
Favourite purchase; a temperature controlled kettle. Green tea doesn't need boiling water. I used one on holiday and bought one as soon as I got home!
leogirl
leogirl Female
A month ago
I still have that littler cube runner bean slicer that I bought in 1966 .
yesterday I used the moulinex sieve again when I made plum jam. . I inherited it from my mother . it has 3 different type of sieve bottoms , very fine ( for baby food in 1970 !, medium and course . The ( HAND ) rotating clip-on blade lost it`s plastic knob on the handle , but was replaced by a wooden one in the early 1970ish . it has been used for well over 65 years !
the oldest electric appliance must be the coffee bean grinder -KRUPS used at least 3 times a week since late 1960ish .
the sturdy quality of the Moulinex sieve is legendary .

LEOGIRL.

Leogirl.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
A lot of my utensils have been handed down and were at least my Grandma's and are pre-war. Perhaps I should go to the antiques roadshow to have them valued ;-)

I've still got a Kenwood food processor from when they first came out and if I did but know my sodastream must be worth something by now since it's version 1. The Meyer Anolon  cookware is still going strong decades later. A worthwhile investment that you could throw a brick at and it still wouldn't break. I've not had to buy replacement kitchen equipment for year and they are still going strong. I keep expecting them to all go wrong at once because they've been well used over the years. The triangular shaped trio sauce pans that you can boil veg in separately on one hob is donkeys years old. In fact I've not seen any on the shelves for sale for years. My electric jar opener that came from the US has never reached UK shores for some reason. It's brill and worthwhile investment because it opens jars at a touch of a button without the mess and has been hammered.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I've an ancient kenwood food processor, pans and a cube runner bean slicer and a nutmeg grinder that was my nans.
Aely
Aely Female
A month ago
You may remember my disappointment when my 50+years old apple corer fell apart some time ago? I have a couple of tea strainers of the old, wire variety but I must admit they are rarely used now, even more rarely for tea. My cone shaped Tala measure is still used frequently. It was one of the first implements I bought when I left home 53 years ago. I believe they are either still available or perhaps they have been "reintroduced".

I have an elephant pie funnel (a family heirloom!) from the 1920s or 30s which is useful when making a deep meat pudding. The one gadget I would hate to break though is my electric blender/coffee grinder which I bought back in the 1970s. It has made so much soup - and if I was into smoothies it would be ideal. Not sure if I have ever ground coffee beans with the attachment, but it makes superb breadcrumbs and turns flaked almonds into ground almonds when required.

Pots and pans can last forever, or just about and some of mine must be 40 years old but even better is the Pyrex ware. The newest items are from a set I won in a raffle in the early 1970s. The rest came from my mother's collection and goodness knows how old some of them were. I can't remember her NOT having the one used for Rice Pudding.
leogirl
leogirl Female
A month ago
I have an apple corer somewhere although I seldom use it .I always seem to miss the exact middle of the apple...
just as quick to cut apple in 4 and cut away unwanted parts like core and peel as well as bruises and blemishes. .
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I have a very old breadboard which has been in the family for a few generations.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
A month ago
I've still got, and use more or less daily, my Hitachi digital microwave oven which I bought when moving into my first property in 1987.  At the time it was quite pricey, even more so when compared to what microwaves cost now, but I reckon I've had my money's worth given it's now 35 years old, so it was money well spent.I also inherited a Bamix hand stick blender from when we were clearing an elderly relatives home and that has to be over 50 years old, and still works okay. 
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
I have a very old breadboard which has been in the family for a few generations.

If you look after a bread board and follow the instructions from day one they will last a very long time without giving any problems lol
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
I have an AEG chest freezer that's at least 30 year's old.
I know by location and age and number of children when I bought it.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
If you look after a bread board and follow the instructions from day one they will last a very long time without giving any problems lol

That might be why it's lasted so long. I did read the instructions and stuck to them rigidly LOLOL
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
A month ago
My bread board came without instructions and I'm baffled as to where to start.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
A month ago
Good the instructions WW lol.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
How do you know which is the right side up WW?
Mind you, if you were a delivery driver in a rush, instructions wouldn't matter.
Yesterday I received a box of gf doughnuts from my son. They were placed on their side in my porch, in the sun. Firstly, the box clearly said which way up they should go (icing all over the inside lid). Secondly, there were 4 of us in the house at the time, one in view of the door, but not looking out. No knock. I only knew they were there because my son messaged me!
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
A month ago
I have got a Wedgwood dish i bought 1977 that i still use every day and a flat butter knife that was my mothers i can remember from when i was a kid.

Andy Mac
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
A month ago
Check it's not worth a lot of money andy lol
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
A month ago
Ha ha CircusMaximus, The dish is part of a set that's all gone and the knife is one of those square looking bone yellow handled knifes that was probably also part of a set so i wont be rushing off to Sotheby's quite yet ;-) lol

Andy Mac
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
I was given a second hand microwave about 20 years ago to see if I got on with it as I'd never owned one. It's stil going strong.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
A real bargain.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
Yes no complaints lol.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I have a shed full of old woodworking tools which would seem clumsy and difficult to use these days.
Mazer
Mazer Male
A month ago
All mine are fairly new and fairly cheap so I don't think I'll be talking about how long they have lasted anytime in the far future.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
A month ago
The appliances of today will never last as long as some of the older ones did.

Help with conversations