Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

A good summer in the UK

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
A month ago
A bit of sunshine is why many travel out of the UK but they could have stayed here this year. Have you enjoyed our lovely weather this summer?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
Not wishing to be a party pooper, but I don't travel for sunshine. I'm fair skinned and you're not likely to find me sunbathing by the pool.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
I don't think they'll be too may on mse who travel for the sun lol
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
Ever since the 1960s the cheap "all in" package holidays to eg the Costas have been a great attraction for many families. Other destinations are obvs available.

In contrast many UK venues can be quite pricy -and usually with more dubious weather prospects.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I've not been finding it lovely, lovely is a subjective term and for me its been way to hot, I can't sleep, I'm having problems staying hydrated and I keep feeling dizzy. The garden's in a state through lack of rain. The dogs are suffering and we can't take them for thier normal walks as its to hot. I'd be more liekly to travel to get away from the sun, or rather the heat, Stornaway and Lerwick look quite nice.
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
A month ago
Our changeable weather is usually without extremes so a very hot week or a very cold week throws the country into turmoil.  That is how it has always been. 
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
A month ago
Our changeable weather is usually without extremes so a very hot week or a very cold week throws the country into turmoil.  That is how it has always been. 
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
UK has a great deal to be thankful for - due to the mainly positive influence of the Gulf Stream.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
A month ago
I like our changeable weather.  
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I've enjoyed the nice weather and made the most of it.
eurostar
eurostar Female
A month ago
I.ve booked last week of August off work to enjoy the sun in UKI.ll have my brolly ready too lol
Samx
Samx Male
A month ago
If the world temperature increases by 2°C, the Gulfstream will stop operating and we have weather like in Moscow. So let’s not be too optimistic about the future, as it looks like we’re heading into a lot of problems, weatherwise.
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
A month ago
It's all too unpredictable to say Sam. If you are right a few experts will jump up publicly and say I told you so while all those who disagree will keep quiet. That is the way it has always been.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
We'll never have weather quite like Moscow, even without the gulf stream.  Moscow is in the middle of a continent and we have the modifying effect of a maritime climate.  Possibly, more like Newfoundland, but then again, we are on the western corner of the continent, and the prevailing winds come from the west.  Plus, we are hugely affected by the positioning of the jet stream, which in turn is affected by el nino and la nina events.  It's true that some authorities have suggested that global warming could cause the reversal of the Gulf Stream, bringing colder waters down further south, but the predictions that I have seen is that our winters would become warmer and the summers cooler and wetter.  There are many other factors affecting the climate in the British Isles, other than the Gulf Stream.  
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
Isn't it a La Nina or an El Nino year this year? They always play havoc with weather, bring extremes of heat, rain, drought and stuff, all made worse by climate change. I don't think it matter if we in this country end up with it being hotter or colder, wetter or dryer, its not good for news us or the rest of the world. I'll just be glad when it cools down a bit, its way to hot for me.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I think that el nino is expecting at the end of this year, so effects wouldn't be expected here until early next, maybe a colder winter.La nina was at the end of last year, so maybe we are feeling the effects.  tbh, I don't really understand fully how it all interlinks, but the knock on effect around the world can continue for a year or two after.  One of my topics for future study.

I don't know if it is good or bad really.  It's just how the weather mechanism works.  It might be good or bad for south east Asia, where it can affect whether or not the monsoon fails.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
The weather is impossible to forecast accurately but the educated guesswork from the experts is interesting.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
It's not impossible, but does take skill and practice.  I get weather alerts on FB for the area where I live and they are pretty accurate most of the time.  I live in a hill;y area and weather can be very localised, so that can skew things, at times.  With the technology that is available nowadays, forecasts are rarely wrong.  They just get the timing a bit out on occasions and there is usually an explanation for how that happened.  For example, thunderstorms are usually highly localised and you can miss them entirely, or if you are like me, sleep right through them.
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
A month ago
Local forecasts can be fairly accurate.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
A bit of sunshine is why many travel out of the UK but they could have stayed here this year. Have you enjoyed our lovely weather this summer?

I would like to see a lot more days of sunshine although not quite so hot.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I would of been nicer if we could of had the sunshine over a longer period, but with less intense heat, the start of summer was quite cold, very little of my stuff in the garden was grown enough to have deep roots to survive the heat.
Mazer
Mazer Male
A month ago
Those who garden see the weather very different to those who don't garden.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
We do Mazer.

We don't have a climate in this country we have weather, other places seem to be able to know what to expect, when it will be hot and when it will rain, here we can have all four seasons in a day!

I'm just enjoying the cool breeze and reduced temperature that started around mid afternoon, we might have some rain later too.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
A month ago
I think most of us will look back next year and think we had a fairly good summer with a few hot days.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
Do you CM, I disagree, I think it all depends on how well you cope with very hot temperatures, and if you farm or grow a few crops.

Help with conversations