Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Water shortages

Stand pipes?

Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
Affinity water are making the preparations to install stand pipes where I live. They've already started digging the holes, two roads over from here and warned residents that the work will continue throughout the night over the weekend.

Whatever is this country coming to? In a country that pees with rain for most of the year, we have water shortages, as soon as we have a few days of nice weather. This points to an underlying failure of the infrastructure, as far as I can see. I am not surprised when I see stand pipes used in Kathmandu when I visit, but this is shocking for where we live. How on earth could the water companies ever have been allowed to sell off all the reservoirs? Don't even get me started on the disgraceful public transport system and the long standing under funding of the NHS etc. The downward slide of this once proud nation into a third world country continues.

And, apparently, next week's forecasted rain will be the wrong kind of rain.

Oh well, I'm just going to tuck myself into my bunker now, as past experience has told me that nice folks don't like to be disturbed from their complacency.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I've always been amazed that nothing more has ever been done to help areas that suffer with extreme flooding in bad weather, and to conserve that water too.. I'm peed off with certain people at the allotments lately who are using a rediculous amount of water on their plots compared to everyone else.50 watering cans a day plus filling up water butts every day. Greedy.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
Like many countries - UK today has a record population - and Housing stock has doubled since 1954 from 14 m to 28 million homes - all of which needed land.

On the domestic front since WW2 - the single biggest change has been to take vast majority of the poorest families out of shared housing situations - where in the past millions of households with several kids would have been living/cooking/sleeping all in just one room in a shared house. Just google Guardian slums 1960s/70s.

Analysis of the housing density of the post war Council Estates shows around 10 (low rise) homes per acre (allowing for roads infrastructure etc) - so the 5.5 million which were built post WW2 needed around 8600 sq miles of land.

Factor in the Private new builds and the overall land used post WW2 will be well over 22,000 sq miles - or about 36 times the size of Greater London.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
A month ago
Well, if you want to start somewhere just take a look at the people in charge, firstly there were 5 of them all with different strategies and now its down to two people with totally different strategies and yet all five are supposed to be from the same party with the same manifesto, then the big energy companies turning over massive profits of billions and still increasing the price of fuel to the consumer, then theres the railways blaming the unions because they are asking for a fair deal for there workers, the NHS being stripped of staff and yet everyone was praising them not a year ago for standing on the front line of the pandemic, The water companies more concerned about profits and dividends for the shareholders and then, yes, and then the women's football team go and win the Euro's something the men haven't done since 1966 ha ha ha ha
My answer to all this shyt is sack all the men and put the women in charge of everything ;-) lol

Andy Mac
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
Minnie-the-Minx Female
1 hours ago
Affinity water are making the preparations to install stand pipes where I live. They've already started digging the holes, two roads over from here and warned residents that the work will continue throughout the night over the weekend.

Whatever is this country coming to? In a country that pees with rain for most of the year, we have water shortages, as soon as we have a few days of nice weather. This points to an underlying failure of the infrastructure, as far as I can see. I am not surprised when I see stand pipes used in Kathmandu when I visit, but this is shocking for where we live. How on earth could the water companies ever have been allowed to sell off all the reservoirs? Don't even get me started on the disgraceful public transport system and the long standing under funding of the NHS etc. The downward slide of this once proud nation into a third world country continues.

And, apparently, next week's forecasted rain will be the wrong kind of rain.

Oh well, I'm just going to tuck myself into my bunker now, as past experience has told me that nice folks don't like to be disturbed from their complacency.

Fair comment. I can't see too many being complacent but who knows.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
lol well I don't want to go too far down the complacency route, Mr Hot, but I did post this with some trepidation, knowing how such topics turn into massive bunfights. :)
Anyway, back to the stand pipes, I was really taken aback when I heard that that is what they are doing. For a country that can experience all four seasons in one day, sometimes in multiple, we are very bad at managing its effects. Short termism may be fine as a strategy when all is going well, but when the unplanned for arrives, you're up a creek without a paddle.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
Andy, I think that is an excellent suggestion. I think it might meet with some resistance by the establishment, however.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
People are complacent though. Yes, ultimately private companies are responsible there's no denying that. However, people are complacent when it comes to ignoring short term measures put in place like hosepipe bans in order to flatten the curve.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
On a practical note - most houses will have a circa 40 gallon tank of mains water in a tank in the loft - whilst flats will share a rather larger tank - though it would be wise to boil any water from the cold taps before drinking - the kitchen sink tap of course is fed direct from the rising main.

Some homes though have deleted the loft cold water storage and all plumbing converted to operate from mains pressure.

Once stand pipes are deployed though it will be a matter of strip washing and minimising loo flushing.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
'My answer to all this shyt is sack all the men and put the women in charge of everything'

Obviously I've given Andy a thumbs up!
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
You don't need a hose pipe ban if they shut the water off, bris.  Affinity have already said that there will be no hose pipe ban.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I'd be packing my bags for a few days tbh...
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
A month ago
It's very much a matter of complacency. Look around and see almost everyone blaming someone else and doing absolutely nothing to preserve water. Even during a hosepipe ban you see hosepipes and sprinklers still going flat out even with such unnecessary tasks and watering the grass.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
Meanwhile a current aerial view of the Sandringham estate shows it is thoroughly parched - as is most of England.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Has anyone seen the latest satellite images of the U.K? Pretty grim. 
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
Meanwhile a current aerial view of the Sandringham estate shows it is thoroughly parched - as is most of England.

My own little corner in Berkshire is parched too but it will recover.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
I think that they should build more underground reservoirs like the one near me because evaporation becomes less of an issue.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
There'd be something seriously dodgy if we got problems because we are served by Haweswater and they are upgrading the pipeline.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
A month ago
The cost of disposal of a ton of waste material (ie a cubic metre of excavated soil) is around £100 which makes any new build underground reservoir very expensive.

The average existing reservoirs in England&Wales vary from 10 million to 199 million cubic metres - the latter being Kielder Water in Northumberland which was constructed in 1981.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I saw those images too, Pixie.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
Meanwhile, I've just come home to a sopping wet floor and door mat.
Some of the washing up water destined for the garden, didn't make it!
We don't have a dishwasher, so it can all go on the pots.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I might be more understanding if they did more to fix leaks, theres a massive amount of water wasted everyday because of the huge number of unfixed leaks. The pictures of a parched UK are pretty horrific and we can expect this year after year. What Pixie said about flood defenses is a good point too as we can expect more heavy rainfall too. We have ignored infrastructure for years, not just managing water, but investing in energy, roads, rail, NHS, dentists, the whole lot, now we seem to be reaping the deadly harvest of such inaction. It could be said that its a perfect storm, of covid, war and climate change, but two of these things were predicted, climate change is something thats been known about for a good 30 years now, a pandemic has been forecast for years, OK people thought it would be flu, but that dosen't change the lack of emergency planing, the way that stocks of things like PPE were allowed to go out of date. We've not had a food and farming policy for years and one should of been in place for the minute we left the EU, not that I think the EU can be blamed for everything.

I'd like to think that putting women in charge would solve every thing, but then I think of Liz Truss, would she actually fix anything or make everything worse trying to appease her backers?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Expect nothing. 
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
It's very much a matter of complacency. Look around and see almost everyone blaming someone else and doing absolutely nothing to preserve water. Even during a hosepipe ban you see hosepipes and sprinklers still going flat out even with such unnecessary tasks and watering the grass.

Exactly.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
A month ago
I have noticed a lot of pictures on FB of people stocking up on hosepipes in case of a hosepipe ban ... do you think they know something we don't? Ha ha ha

Andy Mac

Help with conversations