Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Would you date a bookworm

Or tv addict?

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
A month ago
Would you join them?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
I'd prefer the bookworm over the telly addict. Don't watch much TV any more. I'd happily pick up a book and join them.
It's actually very nice to go somewhere peaceful, sit and read surrounded by nature.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I'm a book worm, it would be nice to have someone to talk about books with, but I either read non fiction on quite specific subjects or a load of crime fiction, it would have to be a bookworm who didn't criticise my book choices. I have to have my bedtime story every night.

I do watch telly in the evening, almost never during the day, and I tend to watch a lot of rubbish, property, gardening and cookery with the odd cop thriller thrown in, I couldn't be doing with Love Island and soaps though.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
People who are well read are usually very interesting people.  Watching TV can have the same effect, but I can't imagine that someone who watches reality TV and soaps all day long is going to be very intellectually stimulating company.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
'I can't imagine that someone who watches reality TV and soaps all day long is going to be very intellectually stimulating company.'

That is my assumption too. Rightly or wrongly.
I do watch Strictly, and I'm a Celebrity though.
I tried watching Love Island when a friends son was on it. I couldn't cope with much. He didn't stay in long anyway. He'd been 'scouted' for his looks, hadn't watch it, and didn't understand it - but it got him great publicity for his modelling career, and loads of freebies!
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
A month ago
If you chat to someone for a couple of hours you can tell those who live in tv world with most of their conversation about reality show contestants and science fiction characters.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I like Strictly, most of them are learning something new and dancing for the first time or in a very long time. I like reality tv as long as its something with some sort of point, like Strictly, Bake Off or Sewing Bee. Does Love Island have a point?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
'Does Love Island have a point?'

Not that I could tell, other than self-publicity. But I didn't watch much!
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
I love Strictly.  I love to watch dancing.  What not to love?
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
A simple matter of preferences and choices. I can't stand soaps but they are very popular so maybe I'm the odd one lol.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
One of my best friends is a real bookworm and always has a book with her wherever she is and she has all the answers whenever I need to know something.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I could put up with most types other than one who talked about soaps and reality tv LOLOL
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
I'm a bookworm and get engrossed in my adventures. I'm very selective in what I watch and it's usually things nobody else seems to do. I'm not a mainstream viewer.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
About the only thing I'm currently watching on TV is a re-run of Spooks on Drama. Most of the rest are educational videos on YouTube such as Lawrence Edwards No Nonsense beekeeping, Frederick Dunn and Kaymon Reynolds regular streams and a few other series of various topics.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
A month ago
I'm quite attracted to bookworm types.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
Me too Katie, they usually know how to keep quiet and let me read in peace, lol.
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
A month ago
I know a few tv addicts and I never have a clue who or what they are talking about. 
WildLifeLover
WildLifeLover Female
A month ago
I'm with you on that!
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
A month ago
I agree with several others on the thread. When I'm talking to tv addicts and they are referring to science fiction programmes, reality tv and cartoons of one kind or another I'm completely in the dark.

I now know a celebrity is someone who has no talent and appeared briefly on tv.
Dudley2000
Dudley2000 Male
A month ago
I've dated bookworms and tv addicts and I survived the trauma.  
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
A month ago
I would find someone who wanted a quiet life reading appealing as long as we could still have our moments together.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
My thoughts too Mark. 

Help with conversations