Conversation The Forum
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Operation AVRO

GMP

StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
Greater Manchester Police have brought in a new force-wide initiative - codenamed Operation AVRO - which will run each month in a different district. They bringing real-time updates including images and video as activity continues throughout the day in a bid to fight crime and keeping the public informed of their activities using their website and in more detail on social media channels such a twitter, youtube, Dailymotion, flickr, nextdoor and Facebook.

Do you use nextdoor a fusion of neighourhood watch and social media style website that is designed network you with your neighbours to keep you up to date with local information and activities including being able to alert neighbours of anything suspicious, planned events and a portal for local businesses?

Are Police forces in your area running similar initiatives?

What do you think of the idea?
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
https://bit.ly/3BPBOdc
eurostar
eurostar Female
A month ago
I use next door but lots are leaving it as it seems to be full of complaints about dog fouling, dog barking  , people who don't turn up to do jobs and one bloke who constantly posts his music reviews, I.m better informed on local Facebook groups 
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
Ours started off like that but it's slowly changing to become, how shall I put it interesting when someone advertised a swingers party!
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
It's been interesting watching it metamorphosing in our area from the "dog foul complainers" to people acting more like a community asking for recommendations as well as small businesses, start-ups and anti-anxiety groups. Some of it is becoming a basic chat room with people joking or using it to reach out. Heck even the Avon lady still exists!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I don't think our police do anything like that and not having social media I'm not sure if there are any local groups doing neighbourhood watch type of things.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
Social media is just an umbrella term for the likes of mse.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
Social media is more usually a term used for Facebook.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
Only on this site. Whether you like it or not this is a social media site by definition. Social media forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages

What is social media?
Social media is an internet-based form of communication. Social media platforms allow users to have conversations and share information.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
We knew everything a lot faster though Facebook too in my old area, minutes after it happened or even during.. armed robberies..lunatics running around with knives and guns.. we all knew of it first before any police warning or news report so we could avoid those areas.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
A month ago
The meaning of social media is obvious but on most forums and news media the term "read it on social media" refers to Facebook and usually with the assumption of it being an unreliable source.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
Any platform can channel fake news.. however Facebook is popular and people have local groups on there and news travels very fast. A lot of things that were reported in our old area turned out to be true, and when it's people you know are trustworthy posting the information then you can assume it's credible, especially if they add videos and pictures. Of course other platforms can be used the same..Whatsapp.. Insta.. etc..
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
The meaning of social media is obvious but on most forums and news media the term "read it on social media" refers to Facebook and usually with the assumption of it being an unreliable source.

The information on .Facebook is so unreliable it has made the word Facebook an oft used derogatory term.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
Maybe I should caveat all future posts where I refer to not having social media, as excluding here.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
MrQuiet this site has a really bad attitude to Facebook and makes false statements that against my will I find myself defending it, not because I agree with everything that is put on there but the sheer negativity and incorrect assumptions that are posted on here. I freely say that not everything is correct on there by a long chalk but this site has also been found out on many occasions having posters posting incorrect or fake information.

Some things in general that are posting on here make me spill my coffee laughing it's so prejudiced. I've often had certain posters tied up in knots because they post incorrect information that they have obviously have been googling. Often I just let things go because I won't stoop to some people's level on here. If you use interest groups on Facebook, certainly the ones I've joined you don't get flooded with fake news, the support groups such as Dementia Angels helped me survive unlike this site and it's certainly a lot more secure. People on here just didn't want to know when I was crying out for help. I only come on here now because of friends because in my experience it's no longer the friendliest of sites by a long chalk and very biased. It's no wonder there was a mass exodus a few years back. People like joolsy who's been through hell and back.

Facebook itself it not immune to making errors, for instance, a number of us had to laugh because a dance friend from
Chicago initially had a dance video of one of her performances was blocked because in their opinion it
was "too raunchy". lol..lol

This site, though, needs to grow up and get a life. There's much more to life than mse and Facebook with all the bitching sessions that goes on on here when you mention it.

Rant over.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
A month ago
Maybe in future rather than make fake, crass comments you should look up the Oxford English Dictionary's definition of Social Media:

Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
Greencare
Greencare Female
A month ago
It it necessary to rant when you disagree with others?

Help with conversations