Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Complaints

and acusations

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I had to go to the bank earlier to complain about something and was accused of being agressive, I wasn't, I didn't raise my voice, or swear, I said what the problem was and then when I didnt get a helpful reaction said why, the manager came over and said I was starting to be abussive and not to take out my frustration on her staff!

Why is it these days that you pretty much can't complain without being told you're abusive, rude or hostile, even when and especially when the staff who are supposed to help stonewall you?

I feel really crap now, gaslit, unheard and not taken seriously, this is another situation where I feel totally powerless, when I needn't be and dumped on from a great height by corporate BS.

Rant over..for now
tsunamiwarrior
tsunamiwarrior Male
2 months ago
Too any people thrive on being able to make accusations like that.  We're not going soft just going daft. 
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
That's totally wrong W'hen.
I work in customer services. We would do our utmost to help someone who has a genuine complaint and is being reasonable.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Try calling the bank main number and voice a complaint against the manager, that's not on! 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Everyone should be comfortable voicing a genuine complaint and any decent business would deal with the complaint respectfully even if they felt it was not justified.

I hate those who make a point of addressing their complaint to all the other customers in the shop or restaurant in a loud voice to show how important they are.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Yes you can understand if someone's being totally unruly, sounds like they just didn't want to bother helping out at all, I had gaslighting issues with my mobile phone company when my account had been hacked..they said I must have changed all of my details myself! Put in an official complaint Hen!
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
I hate those who make a point of addressing their complaint to all the other customers in the shop or restaurant in a loud voice to show how important they are.

Attention seekers.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
I experienced that last Saturday! ^^^^
It's hardly my fault that people can now come out with covid are no longer encouraged to stay home. They say 'sharing is caring' - not in this instance!
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
I'd forgotten about Covid LOLOL
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
I wouldn't ever bother entertaining the thought of discussing any issue worthy of complaint with bank counter staff, mind you that would be a rare luxury of any being available as pretty much all the bank branches in this neck of the woods prefer you to use the machines.
I'd always arrange to sit down with a customer services representative, even though they don't make it easy and might mean hanging around a while, and have them document the issue and what their resolution process will be.
That way you've formalised it, got names, dates and details for when it doesn't get sorted and you can escalate it.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
Good advice there, TBA.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
We don't have any in my town now we did have three so I try to deal with things in the phone save the mission.. 
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
When I went in to make the complaint I didn't realise it was going to be such a big deal as when I had the same issue previously it was dealt with quickly and easily by counter staff. I have gone through the formal process you describe before, with satisfaction.

Now staff just seem to be a human interface to the computers FAQ and thier main job is to catch the flak when the computer systems don't work for anyone.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
Many organisations are paranoid nowadays often not even having a complaints department. When TFGM kept refusing to renew my ENTS card which should have been a tick box exercise I ended up to ask for complaints department. His response was that he was the complaints department. Like hell he was. He was a tin pot hitler working from home whose job was just to process things. It was going round and round in circles to the point I had to involve my MP since it is a public sector department. Things shouldn't have to come to this level.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
They are no longer called complaints.  They are called customer services.  
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
I've found what works a treat if there is a competition is to ask for a form to close my account with them and instigate a transfer. We've turned into a bartering society. Broadband companies are very much like that in that if they won't initially match a price you start an account transfer. They are soon on the phone trying to offer a price match/beat if you stay with them. I've had it out with some before now to match the "new customer" deals or I walk. Works a treat.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I've on occassion voiced my complaint to the entire shop floor/waiting room etc, but only after suffering the inanity of those staff "trying to help" and actually casing more problems, its amazing sometimes how quickly things can be sorted out if there's bad publicity in the air.

Unfortunately that sort of bartering isn't always possible, we already have the best BB provider in the area and thats BT, Sky is patchy and no one has Virgin as there are no cables on the island, so many rely on you havig a BT line anyway by the time you've factored the line rental any savings have gone anyway. I think most BB providers are equally good when things are going well and equally terrible when they arn't.
NoSaint
NoSaint Female
2 months ago
It's usually enough to be firm and voice your complaint but whatever it takes. 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Yes.  Whatever it takes but start off just being right. 
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
A very wise gentleman once told me, 'lose your temper, lose the argument' because I was somewhat hot-headed when younger.  Not that I imagine for one minute W'hen lost her temper. I hope you get this sorted OK.  ?? 
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
A month ago
I had a spat in Argos a few months back over a broken mobile phone. It's still in warranty and had electrical faults, however they refused to exchange it for a new one. They sent it for repair which took a month. That's the new policy. We had the phone back two days and it broke again. We finally had a replacement but it took that rigmarole to get one. I would think twice about getting an electrical device from Argos again. 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
Whether you are entitled to repair or replacement depends initially on how long you have had the device but all the electrical retailers I've dealt with have similar policies. Mobile phones are often an issue as so many users accidentally damage their own device. I'm surprised any mobile phone lasts long when I see so many carried in a back pocket.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
A month ago
My mobile phone is 11 years old. 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
You could change it for an electric one now LOLOL
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
A month ago
I took back a kids ride on toy which had broken and demanding (politely) a replacement only to be embarrassed to discover I was in the wrong shop.

Help with conversations