Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Would you date someone who was teetotal

CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
2 months ago
or a heavy drinker?
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
I'd be wary of the heavy drinker!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I don't drink, so it wouldn't bother me at all, I might even prefer it
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Yes I would date someone who was teetotal, I wouldn't touch a heavy drinker with a barge pole, unless they were a heavy drinker of tea. I like a tipple now and again when I fancy one.. If I were dating/ in a relationship with someone teetotal for previous alcohol issues then I wouldn't drink around them or have anything present in the house.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
I would definitely prefer someone who was teetotal to someone who was a heavy drinker.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I grew up with heavy drinkers and all the mayhem that causes.  No thank you.  Nothing worse than a nasty drunk.  I think that a zealous tee totaller might be almost as bad in a different way, if they tried to prevent you from having a drink.  Extremes of any kind is usually not good.

Though, I am teetotal atm, whilst I am trying to get this pre-diabetes under control.  I really really do not want diabetes.  So maybe a good thing that I am not around anyone who drinks for now.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Same experience Minnie.. nasty drunks can make everyone's life very miserable indeed. Teetotal is fine Occasional bevvy .. no problems! Totallytea.. awesome..!
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
Teetotal would be absolutely fine.  I enjoy an occasional drink but I'm happy to drink alone lol
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
When I did drink I prefered drinking alone as there was no pressure to carry on when I'd had enough.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I have a few mates who are heavy drinkers and that can be bad enough at times. I wouldn't want to date one. Teetotal is fine though.
RAACH84
RAACH84 Female
A month ago
Teetotal is perfect. My ex drank and was violent and eventually disappeared leaving me with two babies.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
I think most of us (including me), would prefer teetotal.
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
A month ago
A lot of the drinking culture goes back to the days when a man was thought a wuss if he was teetotal and if he was seen in a pub drinking orange juice it would have been thought hilarious. The number of pints consumed in an evening was the main topic of conversation. Thankfully times have changed.
Mazer
Mazer Male
A month ago
I'm teetotal but I don't mind if I'm with someone who likes a drink.
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
A month ago
I'm not teetotal but will happily date someone who is.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
We often see the word "teetotal" used as if it's an affliction LOLOL
Greencare
Greencare Female
A month ago
That's true HotOrWot. I like a drink but I could easily become teetotal tomorrow if I so wished.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
I could give up all alcohol too. There are so many varieties of tea and other drinks to choose from.
Molly
Molly Female
A month ago
I'm almost teetotal.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I don't drink and when I tell people that theres an assumption that I'm a recovering alcoholic or some sort of religious crazy, people especially men shrink away in horror and embarassment when I tell them its because of menopause. I think theres still too much pressure to "have a proper drink", like you're not really normal if you don't drink alcohol.

Help with conversations