Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Lionesses European Champions

StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
I'll let you off this time BBC for flooding us with football.

Congratulations to England's Lionesses for winning the Euros.
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
2 months ago
Great result. 
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
An historical event. 
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
I'm sure it should be a historical event but I typed before I thought lol. 
connexkev
connexkev Male
2 months ago
I only watched the last ten minutes of the game and when I saw the score was 2-1 was glued to the TV. Brilliant result for the girls and congratulations.
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
At long last we can’t forget 1966! For the next 50 years we have to females to thank for the football talk. Yawn
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
That's not very nice Sam. I hate football but I think it's a wonderful achievement that should be recongised for what it is not it's gender.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
Rotten thing to say Sam when they have worked so hard and achieved so much. The last few minutes of the match was the most watched television this year.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I just voted Samx excellent. I don't like football or any other sport for that matter, but I am glad to see a womens team do what the over paid males can't. But then Lions all spray over things and roar and shake thier manes, whilst the Lioness bring home the bacon, (or gazelle).
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
I bet Chloe Kelly had all the blokes eyes glued to their sets after scoring 👀
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Lots of sexist memes flying around the Internet about this. some sly message. Ladies showing the men up doesn't go down too well with some.. 
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
but I am glad to see a womens team do what the over paid males can't.

But then it's horses for courses.

The women's teams are generally becoming more equal as more of them turn professional. Which is what has happened to the game in England (the FA Women's Super League only turned fully professional in 2018/19) helped in no small part by the £50 million pumped in by National Lottery.

If the professional England men's team took part in a tournament where many of the other teams were virtually
non-league sides then you'd get the situation where the likes of Germany Women's team who have won 2 World Cups, 8 of the 13 European Championships, Olympic Gold and bronze medals.
Bear in mind too that most of the top men's Premier football teams might only have a few English players in their squad, and they might not even get into the England team.
So qualifying for and hopefully playing in the major tournaments the home nations are already at a massive disadvantage against many of the opposition.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I wonderred how long it would take before there was some kind of backlash against The Lionesses success, not long at all it seems, sad isn't it.
Eljer
Eljer Male
2 months ago
I watched all of it and noticed how nice the ladies looked in their shorts.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
Sexism is mainly a men's problem in male dominated sport and they need to get over themselves. Equally women shouldn't go around men bashing because believe it or not some of us men don't like it and the money poured into sport in general. From the clips that I did see afterwards I noticed that the majority were male supporters and I think it's wrong to put us all in a box because of a select few childish ones. Although I vehemently hate football and didn't watch it I think it's great that an England team won something. We shouldn't knock it just because we don't like it or make it a gender issue. I don't like any sport but I don't think that we should put a downer on it or start yawning just because we don't like it. I think that's selfish. Some people both men and women just need to grow up and take it for what it is and be happy for them.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
It is sad hen, my stepdad was showing me last night, memes of a golden colander, flying around as a trophy..  a woman's place eh? I think not!
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
It's what we expect from memes but in the real world I haven't met anyone ho isn't proud of the team and appreciative of their achievements.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
Do you know what? I somehow expected this thread to go like this. What I posted was a pleasant gender neutral OP ends up being anything but...
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
I didn't watch it TOB, but I'm really pleased for them.
For some reason, we have a problem with success in this country.
If someone's earned something, why not be pleased for them?
That's irrespective of gender.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Well we don't see piss take memes when the England men's team does well.. whenever that might be cough..
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
Don't think memes were around in 1966. I was 3, I can't remember.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
They do take the piss at England men's team just as much with memes. There's also memes going the rounds taking the piss of the England men's team suggesting that women are doing a better job of it. Anyway I'm not getting into a stupid argument when I started this thread as a positive recognition which I'm sure the majority of men do. I despair, can this site never keep things positive with someone dragging threads down?!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Nobody's putting all men in a box personally I can't abide the amount of money that goes into football.. however the amount that's poured into women's football is nothing at all on what goes into men's.. there's a distinct unbalance there. It's nice that this success has brought a greater recognition to womens football.
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
2 months ago
I don't understand what adults are doing with silly childish memes. No downside to the women's footballing achievements. Good thread beeman.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
Memes seem to be by definition childish. There's been enough aimed at beekeepers.

Help with conversations