Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Are you a Luddite?

Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
2 months ago
Are you fighting technology?
Mazer
Mazer Male
2 months ago
I think there is a bit of Luddite in most of us. In my family the older generation hate technology.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I think technology fights with me, I wouldn't say I'm a total Luddite, I just don't get on with most tech, although I do see the advantages of a lot of it, I also see that many things seemed quicker and easier when done by hand.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
2 months ago
A lot of people do not embrace APPS! 
leogirl
leogirl Female
2 months ago
I Have no idea what apps are  just show what a total Luddite I am.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
There's no doubt Apps are useful for ease and efficiency and for fun. 
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
2 months ago
I use technology at work but prefer a more basic life at home. 
Youthful_Yosef
Youthful_Yosef Male
2 months ago
You can collect Nectar points on an app now and you get other discounts and benefits too.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
You have to have a smart phone first and I've still not got around to sorting one out and learning how to use it, but I have at least got someone who's willing to teach me. I think one of the first apps I'll download is the Lidl points one, I should get at least £20 a month back on my shopping.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
 I don't automatically embrace new technology but it can make life easier. 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
That's how I feel Neros.  I use it when it suits me.  LOLOL 
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
2 months ago
There was a post mentioning an App which recognised bird song.  I have one which recognises plants and insects.  Handy for those of us who know so little lol.
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
2 months ago
I've been more than happy to take advantage of the automatic washing machine.  
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
I have faith in technology helping to solve the problems of the world in your course, hopefully. Personally I am a technophobe, probably a lot to do with my age.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
I have no objection to technology but I do have difficulty with it at times.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
We change our ways and use a lot of technology without even realising it. 
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
A month ago
I had to think about that then realised I couldn't remember when I stopped having to wind up a clock.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
I think Luddite is an overused and wrongly applied word, many of us who don't get along with tech, arn't against it as such, often we don't know how to use it and ways of learning how to use it are non-existant, instead we get told 'its intuitive', like its our problem. When you're repeatedly faced with the implication that you're at fault and theres no way of getting help of teaching, then people get resentful and frustrated and end up blaming the tech instead of the maker's arrogance in expecting everyone to know what they're thinking when they create the device. The devices maybe bluetooth, wireless whatever, our brains arn't.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
A month ago
Luddite is just a generalisation these days.  Many haven't even a clue who the Luddite were. 
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
A month ago
If we don't want it or need it then it's sometimes difficult to understand why others feel it's so necessary. 
Molly
Molly Female
A month ago
My kids don't understand my stance but I dont want to call to Alexa to switch my lights on or use an app when I'm 100 miles away to turn on the heating.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
I'm not gonna smash up and machinery to halt progress, if that's what you mean.I read a book by Spike Mays called "Reubens Corner". It's about a corner of Essex, viewed from his childhood.

He mentioned all the farm workers with their noisy boots walking past his house in the morning.  

He talked of freezing cold, wet winters clothed inadequately, and how he couldn't warm up, or dry out!

He talked too, of ploughing the land with horses and the noisy arrival of mechanisation.

Can you imagine how that felt?

I drive through this hamlet regularly.  There's not a lot of farming goes on now.

The 2 cottages where he lived and his grandparents next-door are now one. It's quite affluent now.

I sometimes try to imagine all the farming workers in their heavy boots.  I rarely see anyone at all!

Sorry, what was the question again?

I sometimes try to imagine
AlbertBertieBond
AlbertBertieBond Male
A month ago
Times have changed. Today's Luddites are anyone who hasn't got a smart phone smothered with apps and with thousands of photos and every music track ever produced.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
A month ago
Then I'm a Luddite, Mr Bond!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
A month ago
Me too.

Help with conversations