Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Blocking

New questions lol

Greencare
Greencare Female
3 months ago
Blocking one or two annoying people makes sense but blocking half the members on the forum is detrimental to everyone. I'm not saying that's what you have done terry just that it makes no sense to me. I think the time limit on a block would be a good idea as it would free up forum.
What a pity you didn't post the list terry. lol.
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
3 months ago
I've never blocked anyone, even those I find annoying, and as far as I know nobody has blocked me. I'm sure I have annoyed somebody at some time but doubt it was serious enough to be blocked. I do look around sometimes to see if I can still see everyone lol.
terry
terry Male
3 months ago
It's probably not as long or as interesting as people think Greencare....and a good proportion are spammers.
Greencare
Greencare Female
3 months ago
lol terry I didnt think you had a lengthy list. I know one person has me on block and I would be interested to know why. Maybe some block on a whim or to prevent hearing alternative views to their own.
persona_non_grata
persona_non_grata Male
3 months ago
I have checked my profile and I have 15 members on block. Twelve are from other countries and the other three are attractive young ladies probably just after my body lol.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
3 months ago
I've often thought that maybe there should be an option of a short term block as well because someone just might be irritating you on a thread and you don't want to be dragged into it against your will which can happen but in the grand scheme of things they might not irritate you enough to warrant a permanent block.
AndyMacG
AndyMacG Male
3 months ago
Can't for the life of me understand why people block each other, we all know curiosity always gets the better and people log off to read what the blocked person has wrote, ha ha

Andy Mac
FBF_Peace
FBF_Peace Male
3 months ago
The biggest hypocrites are those who block several members and complain the blocking system is ineffective - - but when they are blocked they use sneaky methods to circumvent the block on themselves.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
3 months ago
Sometimes you have to block someone because they become so poisonous that they start gaslighting and it's the only way to get them out of your life. I still think that if you have to block them it should be both ways so that they can't read anything you post and spread nastiness behind your back. I Admin did their job and banned them 
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
3 months ago
Sometimes you have to block someone because they become so poisonous that they start gaslighting and it's the only way to get them out of your life. I still think that if you have to block them it should be both ways so that they can't read anything you post and spread nastiness behind your back. I Admin did their job and banned them 
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
3 months ago
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
If I have blocked someone, I usually forget they even exist until someone mentions their name.  You might aswell unblock them again, if you are curious enough to have to log out.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
What Minnie said, I have looked offline a couple of times, but mostly to see what the fuss is about and thought its mostly a storm in a teacup.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
If one person is blocked by ten members then it would probably be fair to assume that one person was a nuisance. If one person blocked ten members then it would probably faith to assume that the one person had issues.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
Or they are being bullied perhaps, Mr Q?
Or they could be like me and also block the spammers and scammers.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
Surely MSE doesn't have bullies!
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
Why do people usually bully anyway?
Jealousy?
Some sort of notion that the person they are bullying has an entitled life.
To make them look big?
Isn't that playground stuff?
Apparently not!
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
Or they are being bullied perhaps, Mr Q?
Or they could be like me and also block the spammers and scammers.

Bullying is possible as we have seen Gow suffering this lately but even so I don't believe she has blocked lots of others over it.
When I speak of blocking I completely discount the blocking of scammers as that's an entirely different thing with no connection to threads on the forum. Spamming is a subjective term but we see very few of them.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
Dear Laura and Pixie, I don't know what either of you think my life is like, I really don't.
Italics, used by many MSE users.
Is there something strange about them all?
If either of you would really like to swap places, have the police knock on your door to tell you your husband (or partner) who left home fine that morning has dropped dead at work and left you with 4 young children and NO money - then I really think your aspirations are way off kilter!!!
What you are doing is bullying, make no mistake. It's not just my opinion.
Why?
What have I done to you?
I work in a supermarket to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head.
I don't have a flash job, or flash lifestyle, but Laura, I'm sure you know exactly what I do, when and where. Have you nothing better to do?
You have the age of my dog wrong, the purchase manner, the barking, and oh so much more. But why let the truth get in the way of a goid gang together bully?
Is this how you'd like your children to behave?
You are now both unblocked because admin want evidence from me. In any case, what's the point if you're just going to log out to cut and paste from my comments?
I don't have an important job, I have important people in my life who know me and respect me, love and care for me.
'In a world where you can be anything, chose to be nice'
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
3 months ago
Mr QuietYou started this thread by asking about blocking, and hasn't it turned out to be very interesting / useful ? 

Many of us have learnt that blocking does not always work ? and / or that there are ways around it

I have several people on block, from a long time ago. so it is likely they may have left or no longer use the forum ?  so i am going to unblock some of mine and see if they still annoy me :)  If so I will reblock.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
"Hope you have a truly wonderful birthday, whatever you decide to do!!
It's been a tough year, so sorry you have to face such turmoil.
We all love you. I hope things regain their joy soon."

That's what my real friends who know me say.
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
3 months ago
Gow

If you think that bullying is someone who gave advice which you either don't want or didn't want to listen to , then that is up to you.

It's not the first time you have been adamant that you are right or that you will do something ( which could have been important ) in your own time.

I noticed on another thread somewhere that you too apparently give out advice on threads - I can't confirm that as I hadn't noticed. However it was you yourself that posted in a thread that you spend / spent your working day ' giving advice '...

I am unaware of the relevance of becoming a widow x years ago, has to do with a dog being kept in a cage ? I am very sure you did not write that bit to elicit any sympathy. As far as i am aware from the threads, you have returned due to a recent break up.

I do not and have not needed to log out to read your threads.

Maybe while you have Gordon's attention he could improve the blocking system, or maybe you should use the double block and see if it works any better - tho from reading this thread I doubt it ?

Btw I found your reply quite aggressive when asked what was your previous user name - but then people can read things in different ways. Nor do I make snide comments re the last four letters in someone's name - that was really quite weird and I wonder if it too could be construed as bullying.

Nor have i had a complete change of mind in what 76 hours as from something like : ' i would love my dog to sleep in my bedroom with me ' to...' my dog will never be sleeping in the bedroom as one day I would like a relationship '

I fail to see any relevance to your job, I know you work in a supermarket - you have said in at least one thread. And anyone that reads every thread, I work in one too - I enjoy sitting on the till. However do not assume that anyone/everyone that sits on a till at the age of 61 has no qualifications / past career that was equally enjoyed.

Just remember everything/anything one puts on the internet in a forum and elsewhere can be found / read by possibly millions. OTB is a good example of digging up the past and reposting it.

Finally, many of us have ' important people in my life who know me and respect me, love and care for me ' myself included and I understand PixieFluff does too.
but...Be Kind - there are people on MSE who are lonely. And they don't have anyone.
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
3 months ago
Dear Laura and Pixie, I don't know what either of you think my life is like, I really don't.
Italics, used by many MSE users.
Is there something strange about them all?
If either of you would really like to swap places, have the police knock on your door to tell you your husband (or partner) who left home fine that morning has dropped dead at work and left you with 4 young children and NO money - then I really think your aspirations are way off kilter!!!
What you are doing is bullying, make no mistake. It's not just my opinion.
Why?
What have I done to you?
I work in a supermarket to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head.
I don't have a flash job, or flash lifestyle, but Laura, I'm sure you know exactly what I do, when and where. Have you nothing better to do?
You have the age of my dog wrong, the purchase manner, the barking, and oh so much more. But why let the truth get in the way of a goid gang together bully?
Is this how you'd like your children to behave?
You are now both unblocked because admin want evidence from me. In any case, what's the point if you're just going to log out to cut and paste from my comments?
I don't have an important job, I have important people in my life who know me and respect me, love and care for me.
'In a world where you can be anything, chose to be nice'

That is a polite and fair response considering all the nastiness on the thread. Let's hope it draws a line under it and everyone will contribute to another thread altogether as I think it's too late to save this one. This only works if it's what everyone wants and nobody wants the nastiness to continue.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
Well I'm currently receiving nasty childish private messages from a person who's apparentlyblocked me. Concerning other members too. Hence the blocking system doesn't work.
Everyone has problems many have experienced situations similar or the same. And after the rediculous school yard message I've just received. Zero sympathy, some people are clearly tapped.
Greencare
Greencare Female
3 months ago
That is a polite and fair response considering all the nastiness on the thread. Let's hope it draws a line under it and everyone will contribute to another thread altogether as I think it's too late to save this one. This only works if it's what everyone wants and nobody wants the nastiness to continue.

Amen.

Help with conversations