Conversation The Common Room
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Blocking

New questions lol

HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
I thought the same usuallyLaura but I've never had the inclination to try.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
You can't do it now. Up until recently, you could log out and the logout page still showed a link to the conversations. Though not all the rooms were visible offline. For example, site matters, MR and WR. The link from that page has been removed. I'm surprised that you have never timed out and found out that you were reading offline. It was obvious when that happened, as you could suddenly see the people you had blocked.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
I don't think I've ever been online long enough to be timed out LOLOL
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
3 months ago
Minnie  Since i started using a Chromebook and MSE had ' security ' problems - something about not renewing some certificate in time ?  I always log out. It makes logging in easier - don't know why. tho I do know that i tell my Chromebook that MSE is a safe site if the Chromebook tells me there are security issues. So it's been a long time since I was ever timed out.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
Ah, but they can't comment if the thread was created by the person who has them on block!
I'm really liking not seeing 2 people. Wish I'd done it sooner!
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
3 months ago
I have never figured out how not to be logged in but able to read threads / look at profiles ?

If you really can be bothered then you use either /fora or the name of the persons profile to get to the threads offline. It's as simple as that.  The site is so insecure There's other ways to do it whilst online but personally I don't know what people get their kicks out of it. I block people because I don't want them in my life so whatever venom they are posting is left blowing in the wind. Why would I want to provide the with oxygen? If they don't like me then block me, I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it from a tin pot site. I know people don't like me because I have strong personality, has opinions and ethics that are at odds with many and I'm not afraid to voice them but I think some people's attitude and baseless prejudice says more about them than me.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
The tin pot site is obviously loved by many and attracts many regulars.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
What I don;t get about the blocking thing is that the kind of people who usually moan most about being blocked are the ones who are pretty rude and unfriendly and then they wonder why they get blocked.
Zealous_Zack
Zealous_Zack Male
3 months ago
Blocking those who are rude is fair enough.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
It's the only reason I did it.
Some people have a 'hostile aura'.
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
3 months ago
Really ?

Looks to me that someone did not like being given advice, when they clearly have a problem.

Still several of us have the time to wait for the

: ' OMG I have had a complaint re dog barking '

for the word barking, feel free to substitute the word crying or the word howling or any word that means noise from a puppy that may cause a noise nuisance to neighbours even if they are apparently deaf...
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
My aura only appears in several shades of black
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
3 months ago
Is it just me, but every time I read something that is written in italics, it makes me think of a double negative...esp when it is just one word - used to try and dramatise the post ?  Mind you this thread has been so illuminating re blocking / single blocking / double blocking / loopholes etc.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
Most things we see in the written word can be easily misinterpreted and often are as we see so often on these threads. Writing in italics or in bold can sometimes help as can a smiley face to show a sentence isn't totally serious. When we write on here we tend to do so in just a few sentences whereas to put across a serious point of view we would be better off with at least a couple of paragraphs to fully explain what we are saying.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
I think the heatwave is getting to people.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
'I think the heatwave is getting to people.'

Probably.
Still no excuse for some behaviour though!
Molly
Molly Female
3 months ago
A few posters annoy me with some of their posts but not often enough or badly enough to warrant blocking them. I wouldn't block without a good reason.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
3 months ago
Ah, but they can't  comment if the thread was created by the person who has them on block

Really?!  Are you absolutely sure about your assertion :-p
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
3 months ago
They most definitely can do it but I don't understand why they want to do it.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
tob and Templar, yes it would seem they can according to my threads floating to the top for no obvious reason.
Why? Pettiness, childish behaviour, 'having a strop', metaphorically stamping their feet... ?
My 5 year old granddaughter is better behaved!
I'm not playing. I'm a bigger person.
At work, I'm the person who others come to for support and advice. That's the real world!
Laura1961
Laura1961 Female
3 months ago
as I said yesterday, the constant use of ' italics ' is quite enlightening...
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
3 months ago
Just because you said it yesterday it doesnt mean you can't say it today ... or tomorrow.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
The more I think about it the more I think the blocking here has gone crazy.  Maybe a block should have a time limit of one month and then become unblocked.  Then some who have been blocked can contribute to more threads and liven up the forum   LOLOL 
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
3 months ago
It's not something I'd usually do HOW, other than the late night 'fancy a chat love, wot you wearing?' types.

I've done it to make the site usable for me. I don't like or need hostility. Life has been tough enough. I come in here for 'happy chat', not hostility.
terry
terry Male
3 months ago
I did have the daft thought of listing on a thread the people I have on block with the reason, then I thought of data protection plus what the heck, it's no one's business but mine....

I really don't understand why people are getting so het up about the facility....and if it had a time limit I'd just reset the block every time it ran out, if you don't like the colour blue you don't use or have the colour blue, what's the difference.

Help with conversations