Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

One degree and swimming

Two questions

terry
terry Male
2 months ago
Both probably asked many times before....

Would you notice a one degree rise or fall in temperature? whether indoors or outdoors, I sometimes wonder how much the difference needs to be before I notice it, at the branch when I'm cold I put the thermostat up by at least ten degrees.

Swimming in open water, why, do you think, people get into difficulties?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I do in winter.. temp drops rapidly in here..I'm very nesh..Quite a few people here rate wild swimming..and seem ok, but they know the safer areas to go, we have lifeguards and broadcast warnings of strong tides by the beaches .. there's always risks with swimming in open water that people may not be prepared for.. unexpected undercurrents, maybe suddenly feeling unwell mid swim.. rocks.. getting legs tangled in long underwater plantlife... Or maybe trapped when diving through underwater caves..
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
Don't know how much I notice changes in temperature but I think they would have to be quite substantial.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
From what the RNLI rescue team were saying on the documentary show last night, hypothermia is another biggie too.. the water temperature also drops rapidly at evening at sea, I imagine in all open water?
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Swimming in open water, why, do you think, people get into difficulties?

A lot of the time they are swimming in water they are not supposed to be in so there are no experts or rescue facilities on hand and no help available when they get into difficulties.
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
Another young man died yesterday when wild swimming. 
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
That was at Taggs Island just a few hundred yards from Hampton Court - body so far not found despite a Police search..
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
Another young lad died in Bray Lake which isn't far from me.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
If you get into deep water without a wet suit, even on a hot day, you can become cold very quickly.  Your muscles don't work and it becomes difficult to breathe.  I found out for myself.  A child had gone too far out on a rubber ring in the gravel pits at Maidenhead and was refusing to come back.  the water is about 20 ft deep in that spot.  I started to swim out to her to bring her back and realised that I was swimming slower and slower and if I didn't get out of the water quick, I was going to drown.   Obviously, I didn't, because I acted on how I was feeling and swam back to the jetty, but it did make me realise how easy it is.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
People can also be one very lethargic very quickly in the heat ... Did the child get back safely?
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
Minnie. Lucky your realisation kicked in.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
The kid was in a wet suit, armbands and a rubber ring.  Couldn't swim.  She eventually came back closer to the edge when I got out.  She could see that I was about to signal her dad on the boat to go and fetch his daughter.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
My swimming isn't good enough to even think about helping someone else.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
The kid was unsupervised and couldn't swim near 20ft deep water! .. pft ... Good thing you realised when you did that you were getting into trouble in the water..
CircusMaximus
CircusMaximus Male
2 months ago
Swimming when fully clothed is very difficult. Wet clothes weigh heavy and quickly tire you out.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Another youngster was found dead after swimming in a reservoir down south this week. 
terry
terry Male
2 months ago
I went out after my nephew once...was flippin hard work, couldn't do it now. Interestingly because my mind was on getting him I didn't think about water temperature until we got back to the beach. I'd stripped to undies and socks - don't know why I left the socks on!
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I wasn't fully clothed when that happened.  I was sunbathing on the jetty in my cossie.  Blokey and his mates were water skiing and I was the only adult around the kids, not that I had said that I would watch them and I hadn't been asked.  If I hadn't been there, they would have been simply left unsupervised.  The main reason that I didn't want her to get too far from the edge is because I might not be able to swim out to her if she got in trouble.  I probably should have taken the ring from the jetty with me.  It was very stupid of me.  But anyway, it was a lesson, deep water is very very cold, even in summer.Andromeda, not sure that I would get into the water with someone who was in trouble without some kind of buoyancy aid or a long stick for them to grab onto.   I'm a fairly strong swimmer, if somewhat slow, but doubt that I would be able to save a flailing adult without risking my own life.  I don't think I would attempt it.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
The other thing with wild swimming is that people often don't realise that there may be submerged objects for you to get entangled in or injure yourself against.  And unless you know the patch of water well, currents may not be obvious.  The other problem with submerged objects can be that they can create rips in the sea.  My one other close squeak in the water was swimming off the beach at West Bay in Dorset.  I bumped into something under the water, which gave me a bit of a fright, but when I tried to get out of the water, I realised that I was caught in a rip with a very strong undertow.  At the time, I dimly remembered something my dad had said if you fall in a fast flowing river, don't try to swim against the current, so I turned and swam sideways and luckily got myself out of it.  I haven't swum in the sea since.   I was only about 14 at the time, and have since found out that other people have perished in the same spot, in the same way that I got caught.Anyway, if you wanted an explanation of how easy it is for people to get in trouble, there you have two examples; getting too cold, being young and naive, or not knowing the water that you are in.
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
Far too many die trying to rescue others or save an animal when they would be more use getting help.  You're spot on Minnie. 

Help with conversations