Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Ofgem requires improvements from energy suppliers on customer direct debits

StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
Ofgem has told a number of energy suppliers to take immediate and urgent action, after a review found a range of weaknesses or failings in the way they charge customers direct debits. Out of a total of 17 large suppliers in the market, the majority were found to only have minor issues, but five were found to have ‘moderate or severe’ weaknesses with Ofgem demanding immediate action.

This is an initial snapshot of findings and suppliers affected will now have to submit action plans within two weeks to set out how they will take the required actions, which Ofgem will scrutinise for effectiveness and comprehensiveness. The regulator will require all suppliers that increased their customers’ direct debits by more than 100% (impacting over 500,000 customers) to review them.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I'm still dubious about mine..my estimate for my first direct debit is so much lower than before it's suspicious, I'm not holding my breath..they need to look at how people are being ripped off on pay as you go.. not just direct debits!
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Ofgem has told a number of energy suppliers to take immediate and urgent action, after a review found a range of weaknesses or failings in the way they charge customers direct debits. Out of a total of 17 large suppliers in the market, the majority were found to only have minor issues, but five were found to have ‘moderate or severe’ weaknesses with Ofgem demanding immediate action.

This is an initial snapshot of findings and suppliers affected will now have to submit action plans within two weeks to set out how they will take the required actions, which Ofgem will scrutinise for effectiveness and comprehensiveness. The regulator will require all suppliers that increased their customers’ direct debits by more than 100% (impacting over 500,000 customers) to review them.

Not before time.
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
2 months ago
Many years ago I was caught out by estimated meter readings. Ever since I have submitted monthly readings and so have always been on top of what they owe me, or what i owe them
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I would never use DD for energy suppliers again.  British Gas had clocked up a nice little nest egg for themselves when I had DD a few years ago, and they wouldn't give me the money back.  I didn't have to pay another gas bill for a year when I stopped it.  eon weren't an awful lot better.  They only took 6 months' worth.I already have a bank.  I don't need to use an energy supplier to store my savings.  Greedy buggers!
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
The energy companies have a free rein and couldn't care less about their customers. They keep you overpaying and they are quids in!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
My first DD comes out tomorrow, terrified it's going to be much more than what they stated.. we shall see...
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
Minnie-the-Minx
From Hertfordshire
Female
3 days ago
I would never use DD for energy suppliers again. British Gas had clocked up a nice little nest egg for themselves when I had DD a few years ago, and they wouldn't give me the money back. I didn't have to pay another gas bill for a year when I stopped it. eon weren't an awful lot better. They only took 6 months' worth.I already have a bank. I don't need to use an energy supplier to store my savings. Greedy buggers!

Greedy buggers sums it up nicely.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Mines such a massive improvement on pay as you go I can hardly believe it.
RoseyCheeks
RoseyCheeks Female
2 months ago
I'm quite lucky with Scottish Power.  I've been with them for about 8 years now and DDs have always beeen pretty much right, I ended last year with a credit because I'd drastically reduced the heating I was using, and that has credit has allowed me to pay less per month than I otherwise would have done after the April price cap hike.   The govt's £400 will hopefully go most of the way to covering my extra charges from the expected October hike.   
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
October and onwards will be the big test...!
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
I'm quite lucky with Scottish Power. I've been with them for about 8 years now and DDs have always beeen pretty much right, I ended last year with a credit because I'd drastically reduced the heating I was using, and that has credit has allowed me to pay less per month than I otherwise would have done after the April price cap hike. The govt's £400 will hopefully go most of the way to covering my extra charges from the expected October hike.

That echoes my own experience.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
I've had the devil's own job in sorting out an elderly relatives gas and electric account issues since their accounts were moved over from SSE to OVO following their merger and takeover of domestic supply. Very unimpressed with how OVO has dealt with the issues, and made that very clear to them pointing out their total ineptitude. It must have touched a nerve as it got escalated to a resolution team and has now been sorted. But it took time and effort so not made easy.
Unfortunately the system that we have now ended up with has been largely set up to be automated and easier for the utility companies to operate rather than for the benefit of the customer (however they dress it up), it's online accounts, paperless billing, payment by direct debit that get adjusted automatically based on average usages for both property type and historic readings and now smart meters (should you want one which I don't either want or need).
Mind you that doesn't stop them constantly contacting me to extol their virtues and telling me how much money I'd save having one. Although asking something like does that mean that a smart meter will go round slower, does tend to take the wind out of their sails.
But as much as it's a chore (and can be a bit time consuming) we can't expect or assume that the utility companies will do what we want to happen and need to be proactive in making sure readings are sent in when required, bills are correct based on those readings and large credit balances aren't allowed to build up.

I've got a good level of control on the account with my current supplier Shell Energy, and am on top of balances, usage and monthly DD's and already looking at the DD amount which I'm slightly overpaying at the moment.

Because you ain't seen nothing yet with the new figures that will be required when the new OFGEM maximum variable unit cost/standing charge tariff pricing cap is announced next month, which is now estimated will be in the region of an eye watering 64% more than the last increase in April, because of the catching up required on the wholesale market costs over the preceding 6 month time lag.

Lets hope it's going to be a very mild winter.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
In normal circumstances I would be pleased that the "bank of EDF" have dropped my DD. However, given the expected eye watering price increase I would prefer to be ahead of the game so that I wouldn't feel the hit and potentially get caught out when the price goes up.

Help with conversations