Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Couple of new things

terry
terry Male
2 months ago
Ever heard of See Monster? Seems Weston-Super-Mare is getting a world first piece of art...it'll make a change of reputation for the Somerset seaside town.
Another bit of news is 20mph speed limits for roads in Wales, haven't read up fully on it but the idea sounds interesting - easy for me to say, I don't live there.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
There are a lot of roads now with 20 mph speed limits.  some of them seem a good idea but unless it's narrow and winding 20mph is a very slow speed to drive and might actually cause a lack of concentration. 
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
20 mph is far too slow.  Except perhaps for near schools when the yellow lights are flashing.  The people who always obey the speed limit, drive at 20 mph, getting fed up, and the people who don't obey the speed limit, carry on doing what they always did and continue to drive at 40 or 50 mph.  Performance cars get their exhaust ripped off by the traffic humps, due to low clearance, but the worst speeders where I live are in 4x4s, where the wheel bass is wide enough to straddle the bumps and they have sufficient clearance, so they don't even notice the bumps.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
The middle of Bristol is 20mph, it thankfully gives me time to read road signs before junctions and roundabouts.  They show no mercy if you get it wrong!
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
Generally the straddling 4x4s have a narrower than average width. Mercs and Audi are usually much wider but average saloons often are too. 4x4s usually have a warning on the visor pointing this out which gives them less stability when cornering sharply which is also why most of only plod around.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Weston has some really cool art, I missed the Banksy exhibition, Dismaland, gutted about that, I went a few years ago and had fun at the sand sculpture exhibition, some very cool pieces...I would t mind going to see sea monster sounds right up my street..
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
As MrQ and Minnie have said 20 mph is far too slow and is likely to create hazards rather than prevent accidents. A lot of roads in London are 20 mph and they are the few roads where the traffic actually moved faster than 20 mph in normal conditions.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
Lots of LTNs in London are pushing more traffic on to main roads where traffic is so logjammed that everyone is in a slow crawl and creating far more pollution.

Khan's desire to radically increase ULEZ zone would make London a no go zone for tradespeople and/or increase their charges to customers.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I think here its going to be all built up area's, theres not so many on the island and most of them have cars parked on both sides of the road anyway so driving is a bit hazardous, if it stops people speeding down my road I won't mind as it can become a bit of a race track.

It always amazes me that narrow, windy single track roads are usually national speed limit which is way to fast for the roads, I know I'm cynical but I can't help but think its a way of boosting speeding fines in places where its easy to catch people and ignoring the ones where its not.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
But with fuel at £9 a gallon Hen might be bothered if she had to drive everywhere in second gear.
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
Where do you buy by the gallon? 
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
Anywhere when you buy 4.545 litres!
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
Exactly.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
2 months ago
There are a lot of roads now with 20 mph speed limits. some of them seem a good idea but unless it's narrow and winding 20mph is a very slow speed to drive and might actually cause a lack of concentration.

Highly skilled racing drivers say that. Maintaining an unreasonably slow speed lessens concentration.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I'd say it depends on if you have to slalom around parked and moving vehicles, you won't last 5 mins if you don't concentrate.
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
I never race around in my car and I'm very happy sticking to all the speed limits but 20 mph is too slow.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
Does Windsor not yet have any LTNs Andromeda?
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
lol Are we talking about the same 4x4s, Mr Q? Or should I be calling them something else? You don't see many Suzuki Jeeps these days. The average family car where I live looks more like a truck in size and they hurtle around with disregard for other road users. The main road into the estate has cushion bumps and their wheels fit nicely either side.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
2 months ago
I wonder if it is a cynical ploy to make driving around so horrible that we all stay at home.  When I was still young and fit, I could ride my bike faster than that.
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
Most family cars have been getting bigger with each new model over the past several decades

The original Vauxhall HA Viva was just 59.5 inches wide and 155 inches long

Today's Insignia though is 82.40 inches wide and 193 inches long - so overall it occupies 72.4% more space on the road
Neros1954
Neros1954 Male
2 months ago
The Tesla x is very wide.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Likely Minnie..
connexkev
connexkev Male
2 months ago
I live an hour away from Brighton. They have 20mph on a lot of their main roads and some have speed cameras. They have recently brought in new rules about road use and lots of motorists are getting fined for petty things. The ruling Green party seem hellbent on getting motorists off the road. 
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Couldn't agree more on what you said hen about NSL on winding country roads.. hated that part of my lesson.. and couldn't understand how that could be allowed.. if an animal ran out of a field and hit the car at that speed it would cause an almighty accident ... Or if you lost control and hit a country walker..I used to be in the country most weekends when I was little and I swear we never went that fast it was a relatives slow enjoyable ride out..
BOYDEL
BOYDEL Male
2 months ago
Anyone driving much below the posted speed limit on esp main roads will very soon have a long queue of angry motorists building up behind them and trying to overtake at any opportunity.

The traffic police may well pull over a motorist for "failing to make progress".to ascertain what the problem is.

Help with conversations