Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

When we have a new Conservative PM

should we have a General Election?

wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
I think we should, the mess thats been made by Johnson and the mounting problems with things like cost of living etc, I think the electorate deserve to choose who lead us through and how.

The next leader of the Conservative party will be chosen by MP's and ultimately by party memebers, who make up a tiny part of the electorate. Like it or not politics has become as much about personality as policy, even Jacob Rees Mog think if theres a change of leader there should be a GE for those reasons, its about the only time I've ever agreed with him.

I also don't think the current problems should mean that we can't have a GE, afterall we had two when we were at war, why should this be different?
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I absolutely agree we should have a general election it shouldn't before them to decide at all. 
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
By all means have a GE, but this time change the first past the post system. All sections of the population should be represented in parliament, according to the numbers of each section (Proportional representation). Only this way can a democracy exist in reality, not just in name. First past the post, in reality, ignores the majority of a country’s voters. It does work in other countries!
The_Jewess_Rebecca
The_Jewess_Rebecca Female
2 months ago
The whole Tory edifice is rotten and they're all complicit.  They all knew what Boris Johnson was when they elected him as party leader. They all got behind his dishonest Brexit and they all went along with the smears against Jeremy Corbyn and the string of lies told to the public on a whole range of issues. They are all culpable

I see Jeremy Corbyn is trending on Twitter - folks have definitely not "moved on" from that one.  

Anyone capable of thinking for themselves could see that Jeremy Corbyn was destroyed by a smear campaign. Like thousands of others I joined Labour to support Corbyn and vote Labour for the first time in my life and like thousands of others there is not a chance I would vote for Starmer and his shower of backstabbing careerists. If Labour carry on down this road they will lose.   

Corbyn was right all along and it's time to say sorry.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
 Corbyn was part of a smear campaign and was royally screwed by his untrusting scumbag party members and the Tory supporting media ...the people who don't believe that are either wearing blinkers or lying.. he was the strongest contender and people believed in him. I do and still do. I agree JR...rotten to the core. Always have been.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago
By all means have a GE, but this time change the first past the post system. All sections of the population should be represented in parliament, according to the numbers of each section (Proportional representation). Only this way can a democracy exist in reality, not just in name. First past the post, in reality, ignores the majority of a country’s voters. It does work in other countries!

Not going to happen Sam. Not that simple.
MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago

MrQuiet
MrQuiet Male
2 months ago

The_Jewess_Rebecca
The_Jewess_Rebecca Female
2 months ago
Johnson's even lying about resigning.   

Jonathan Pie has nailed it as usual.  
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
MrQuiet Sex icon 7-Jul-2022 21:43

You're right but did it need saying three times lol.
NeverSayNever
NeverSayNever Female
2 months ago
It needs saying at least three times to get through to mse members.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Another scam.. 
connexkev
connexkev Male
2 months ago
The Conservatives won't need to go for a General Election as they have a large majority. The leadership contest should prove very interesting this time around.
SQL
SQL Male
2 months ago
No, we don't want or need a General Election. Ours is a Parliamentary democracy not a Presidential one.

I do agree with the comments on Proportional Representation, calling our system democratic is a farce.

SQ
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
2 months ago
No to a GE and No to Proportional Representation. To see how that works look at the mess of the Italian governments due to PR
SQL
SQL Male
2 months ago
* No to a GE and No to Proportional Representation. To see how that works look at the mess of the Italian governments due to PR*

Also look at how Germany, Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Moldova, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly, Ireland and Malta elect their representatives - all these use some form of PR.

Italy uses a hybrid mix of PR and FPTP (first past the post).

If you wish to lobby for PR in the UK go to the Electoral Reform Society website:-

"https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/which-european-countries-use-proportional-representation/"

where you can sign a petition to use PR in the UK.

SQL
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
What SQL said.

We may not "need" to have another GE under our system of parliamentary democracy, but that dosen't mean we shouldn't have one. Elections are getting more about personality whether we like it or not and I guess that depends on whether we like the party leader. A new leader can take the party and country in a totally different direction to the previous one and I think it only right that those new policies are tested before the country, they serve us, or are at least supposed too.

Are those who don't want a GE afraid that their choice of party won't get in again?
JustKatie
JustKatie Female
2 months ago
What are those wanting a quick GE afraid of? What is their agenda for changing the rules?
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Its not a matter of fear, but of legitimacy, a new PM can create a new set of policies and inflict them on the country with no mandate from the people whatsoever, thats not really democracy is it?
Andromeda
Andromeda Female
2 months ago
Its not a matter of fear,

It was you who first mentioned fear in your previous post :)
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Did I, I was responding to another post and I do think fear is a matter for a lot of people, just not for me in this case and I was answering for myself.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I still think there should be a vote on who takes over as hen says how is it a democracy if not? Not desirable choices I imagine but should still be down to the people to decide who runs the country.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I still think there should be a vote on who takes over as hen says how is it a democracy if not? Not desirable choices I imagine but should still be down to the people to decide who runs the country.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Anyway how would you even filter out the worse from the worst to vote ...
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Thats always been the problem with FPTP, you end up with a choice of bad and worse, it would make a change to vote positively for once, rather than for the bad who will keep the worst from getting in.

Help with conversations