Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Goodbye Boris..about time..

Long time coming

Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
So who's next!
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
However there's still a whole month left for more damages before he goes..
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
2 months ago
He was a good leader for the time of Brexit and Corona virus but i snow past his sell by date
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I disagree with that PT. He did step into the Brexit mess, but he encouraged it and lied with his NHS Brexit campaign to gain votes.The way he handled the pandemic was appalling. Including missing several times for bidding on PPE for NHS staff. You know the NHS he thanked everyone for staying at home to protect.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
The UK EU Referendum result went the way it did not just because of the 17.4 million votes to leave versus the 16.1m votes to remain but because of the 13 million registered & eligible voters that apparently had an opinion about it but just couldn't be ar5ed to cast a vote at all.There are virtually no heads of government from across the globe that handled the pandemic well. Everything was virtually being made up on a daily basis.   

Thank gawd Mr Sit on the Fence wasn't in charge during it. We'd still be waiting for something other than "you don't want to do it like that".!!
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
He's still trying to hang on though, all this nonsense about staying until autumn and the conference season, I think he's hoping that something will happen and he can stay PM. We have no functioning government and the sooner they can hold a vote to get a new party leader the better, I can't see Raab having the gravitas to do the job even for a month or two. I still think there will have to be a GE in the autumn or early in the new year as with this debacle the country needs to decide if the current governing party is up to the job.

I also think that Johnson refusing to go and trying to set the terms of when and how he will go shows up how we need a written constitution, the mechanisms for getting rid of a future PM who tries to hang on like this need to be clear and codified in law. It cannot be that the last resort is a 200 year old precedent that the monarch can refuse a GE because there are people in the majority party who are willing to form a government, this is the 21st century, I believe people deserve more clarity than this.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
'However, before the news of his resignation broke, a column penned by Mr Johnson in 2010 resurfaced, and will make for uncomfortable reading for the Prime Minister in his current crisis. 

In it, he hit out at then-Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who himself clung to power in the wake of the disastrous 2010 General Election that saw Labour lose its majority. 

Writing in the Telegraph, Mr Johnson said: “The whole thing is unbelievable. As I write these words, Gordon Brown is still holed up in Downing Street. 

“He is like some illegal settler in the Sinai desert, lashing himself to the radiator, or like David Brent haunting The Office in that excruciating episode when he refuses to acknowledge that he has been sacked. 

“Isn't there someone – the Queen's Private Secretary, the nice policeman on the door of No 10 – whose job it is to tell him that the game is up?”'
Samx
Samx Male
2 months ago
Was watching part of today’s commons debate.. Interesting to note that at long last a possibility arises to cut the number of ministers, secretaries and other pics in the trough. Boris has always been a disaster: he screwed up during the coronavirus epidemic, took credit of the scientists work and lied about everything and anything he pretended to work on. Regarding the Ukraine war we only hear one side of the story and propaganda is rife. That doesn’t mean in any way I support that Russian megalomaniac Putin or his actions. He pulled the strings of the diabolical secret police in East Germany, the Stasi. It seems that all politicians who have been in the job for sometime have become corrupt and, unfortunately, corrupt all the newcomers too. It is high time that the political system in this country it’s been overhauled. However, I don’t think improvements will happen in the near future. So we will lurch from one disasters crisis to another and the ones suffered most is the common man and the poor, including children.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Were going backwards..https://youtu.be/-9poCAuYT-s
eurostar
eurostar Female
2 months ago
And the next liar will start not before a few months of childishness jeez
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
The real movers and shakers are those who work behind the scenes. Let's face it cabinet ministers of whatever government is in power can't be qualified in every line of work the represent. You've only to look up their profiles and most don't have the relevant qualifications for the position. Take the Chancellor of the Exchequer, he trained in Chemical engineering. I'm not saying that he's not clever but he's not trained as an accountant which to me would be more logical. Reshuffles make that evident to me when they are moved sideways to different positions. Ministers just take the credit when things go right and blame others if things go tits up. Usually a layer of shallow cronies who make a mess of all the hard work done in the background.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
We call ourselves a democracy but I think that the 3 line whip makes a mockery of that when you can be effectively expelled from a party just because you defied the whip and didn't vote the way the party instructed you to rather than vote on your principles, beliefs and the views of the constituents your are supposed to represent.
Molly
Molly Female
2 months ago
ToBeAdvised Male Essex
7-Jul-2022 11:06 new Message #4894255
The UK EU Referendum result went the way it did not just because of the 17.4 million votes to leave versus the 16.1m votes to remain but because of the 13 million registered & eligible voters that apparently had an opinion about it but just couldn't be ar5ed to cast a vote at all.There are virtually no heads of government from across the globe that handled the pandemic well. Everything was virtually being made up on a daily basis.

Thank gawd Mr Sit on the Fence wasn't in charge during it. We'd still be waiting for something other than "you don't want to do it like that".!!

I'm not a fan of Boris but there's no denying he has done good things too not just all the things being sniped at him now.
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
I didn't read TBA post like that rather than pointing out that people moan but don't get off their backsides and put their money where their mouth is.
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
Like many of us TBA sounded relieved that Mr Sit on the Fence wasn't in charge.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
Plenty of folk will gripe,  but haven't had any input. How can they expect their views to be noted if they don't make themselves heard?
Greencare
Greencare Female
2 months ago
Corbyn and Starmer are the reason we had Johnson for so long. The lesser of evils.
G-O-W
G-O-W Female
2 months ago
I'm not hugely political.  Don't always vote the same way. But, please, not Corbyn!
StillGotIt
StillGotIt Male
2 months ago
We could do with more like the late Robin Cook who had the courage of his convictions and gained a standing ovation from all sides after his powerful resignation speech.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
Why not Corbyn? I'm certain we wouldn't be in so many messes with his leadership.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
We'd have different messes to the ones we have now if we'd of had Corbyn or anyone else for that matter.

I think they will have to get a caretaker PM, Boris can't be allowed to stay in No10 until autumn, I don't think anyone seriously wants Raab who is Deputy PM in the job, he's be as bad or worse than Boris.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
2 months ago
I'm certain we wouldn't have a NHS mess for a start..
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
2 months ago
The mess is that it's a behemoth, and now has to accommodate things it was never set up for or even considered and it doesn't matter what overlord sits at No.10.   When a public organisation has a virtually bottomless £170 million budget where the more that's pumped in the quicker it flows out, that's ring-fenced and guaranteed, there's very little incentive to "sort it out" and even if they did, it would be like trying to slow down and change the course of a super tanker.  There are many fat cat Trust chief executives in the NHS not to mention all the ancilliary "non medical" departments who are raking it in and are quite happy with their generous packages, and gilt edged pensions.       
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
2 months ago
Why on earth are we still talking about Corbyn, he's gone and is unlikely to have any influence in the future.

Likewise Brexit it done, why's it still an issue? Ok I know there the NI protocol and other bits and pieces that need clearing up, but I don't see why thats such a problem to any but hard brexit ideologists. The EU has been a scapegoat for years and I've wondered what British politicians would do with it there to blame, well now we know, still blame it.
Templar2013
Templar2013 Male
2 months ago
There are still many on the far left who want Corbyn to return and also many who would seriously try to reverse Brexit so it's not too surprising we still hear both mentioned.

Help with conversations