Conversation Society, News and Sport
Helper icon  Helpers: Chris2mates PrincessFruitBat

About us

Midsummer's Eve is a free online dating community - based around friendship, real meetups, real people, and real relationships. We've been online since 1999 and have twice won Radio 2's Web Site of the Day award. So why not join us for free and join in the discussion?

Jury service

Probably done before but I can't remember

terry
terry Male
3 months ago
Today seems a fitting day to ask whether you feel you could do jury service, or perhaps have done already? and how you might feel afterwards.
Not sure if I'm right but I think jurors are limited to what they can say about a case - even when the case is finished?

How do you think you might feel afterwards?
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
I've managed to avoid it so far and hope that that will long remain the case.  Not sure how long I could sit for on one of those hard benches.  My back would be killing me.  I would also be worried about how many pee breaks they let you have.  Is there a maximum age for jurors?I thin I would most likely be feeling pretty knackered afterwards.
Jeff
Jeff Male
3 months ago
I think that I would be quite good at jury service, as I don't judge only on what the first person says, and I try to consider evidence and both sides of an argument and their subtleties. But I have never been invited to be on a jury, and I am now too old for it.

I have often thought that I wouldn't trust certain people in MSE on a jury, especially those who block people so that blind themselves to corrections to their factual falsehoods.

Many times have I watched the film "12 Angry Men" and listened to a sound recording of it. The initial prejudices and infighting of the jury are very realistic.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
I'd be annoyed right now because it would be hard to get someone to cover for me at home if it turned out to be a lengthy case. I'm thinking of how long the OJ case took and what happened to the jurors in that situation.. not allowed to communicate with the outside world for 11 months or so, I believe one juror tried to kill herself it went on so long. If I didn't have my responsibilities at home I'd be up for it. Haven't been called as yet. However watching a documentary on the Toolbox killers people in the court room were emotionally scarred for life.. I guess you don't know what kind of case you're going to be asked to sit for.. and how complicated it might get.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
I wouldn't serve and wouldn't give a fair verdict judged from a legal viewpoint. I can think of dozens of instances when I would judge on the circumstances or even personalities. That's just me.
eurostar
eurostar Female
3 months ago
I.ve done it, horrible I got a paedophile case , would do it again because its the law and its the British way, but not something I.d ever look forward to
Pboro Trevor
Pboro Trevor Male
3 months ago
Pixiefluff you can ask to be excused jury duty due to home circumstances. I was excused twice as I was, at the time, a single parent with sole responsibility for two children.
ToBeAdvised
ToBeAdvised Male
3 months ago
I'd love to do it.  But so far have never been called up.  A family member recently got called up for a 2nd time but then they were all excused because of the case log jam.  Bit counter intuitive ! Is there a maximum age for jurors?I

It was raised from 70 to 75 a few years ago.  Apparently one reason being that that age group would be less likely to need to be financially compensated. 
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
I was called last year, there's information on being excused, you write to the clerk of the court, its all on the form that comes asking you to confirm you can attend. They're not going to make you miss a holiday or anything, they may reschedule for when you get back, I wrote asking to be excused for various medical reasons, including IBS and back pain and wsa excused. I would of quite liked to have done it, but being my luck I would of got a case involving finances or something I know nothing about.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
If things were different I'd go for it but like in Euros case you might be in for a rough ride.. but it's essential to getting bad people off the streets if the evidence suggests so..
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
There are definately some cases where I think I'd be traumatised, but luckily I think they're few and far between.
Minnie-the-Minx
Minnie-the-Minx Female
3 months ago
I don't think I would cope very well if it involved violence to women or children as I have PTSD.  Any graphic images and I would likely have a complete melt down in court.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
One case last week involving a cult in Utah, the evidence was so horrific that it was reported that police acted as barriers between the defendant and the jury.. 
twinkle2
twinkle2 Female
3 months ago
I did it a long time ago. We had a drunk driver who changed his plea on day two and a drugs case. We were then excused. I was surprised to hear the lady juror speaking out after the case as I didn't think you were allowed to talk about cases.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
Did he change his plea to guilty? Maybe that's why the juror could speak openly about it?
connexkev
connexkev Male
3 months ago
I was excused twice. The first time I was moving out of the area. The second time the court was being redecorated and they moved it to Brighton which would mean changing trains at least twice. They excused me as the time to travel was too long.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
I was surprised when a friend of mine with a criminal record including time in prison was chosen for jury service.
Greencare
Greencare Female
3 months ago
HoW that suprises me I thought a criminal record would disqualify someone from jury service.
Sea
Sea Female
3 months ago
Yes, I have done it and must have been well over 25 years ago now. And no you are not meant to talk about the cases. It was over a three week period and I can remember having to hang around by the phone at home, waiting for a phone call, to say when you would be required to come in. There would still be lots of hanging around. I had to sit in on two cases during that time. One basically a pub brawl, where it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. Felt they should both have been in the dock. But the accused was found guilty. The second was a young woman dog breeder, who had falsified documents and claims on the breed of a dog she had sold. I and the other jurers felt that she was definitely guilty then suddenly we were told that the case had been dismissed and she had been let off. I always wonder if it had anything to do with her looking quite attractive, wearing a mini skirt and putting on an act of being unaware of any wrong doing. It just seemed rather odd to suddenly be dismissed. midway through proceedings. My father also did jury service many years before me. I can't remember anything with regards to the case, only that he said the accused was definietly guilty but was let off. The reason being the other jurers did not wish to spend a long time deliberating and simply pressured others to just say not guilty, so they could all get off home early. I know the case I was on, that we spent well over two hours talking things over with everybody putting in their input etc. We were all asked our opinions before a verdict was reached. I have come to the conclusion that receiving a guilty or not giuilty verdict, can simply be on the luck of the draw, on chosen jurers at the time; whether being more dedicated to job in hand, or a more couldn't care less attitude and let's just get away asap.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
How frustrating a guilty party getting away with it because of half arsed jurors! I also didn't think anyone could be called up with a criminal record, that's surprised me. 
Mazer
Mazer Male
3 months ago
An innocent party being found guilty would be even worse. That is why important cases are heard by jurors so there is a much better chance of any personal feelings only representing a twelfth of the verdict.
Pixiefluff
Pixiefluff Female
3 months ago
True however they can always contest it in future a guilty party would just be back out there doing whatever nasties they do best..
BlackMark1
BlackMark1 Male
3 months ago
I don't think the two situations are in any way comparable. It's difficult to think of a worse travesty of justice than an innocent man being convicted of something he didn't do and then spending months, years or even life, locked away from his family and friends and having no life as such.
wonderoushen
wonderoushen Female
3 months ago
I'm glad we don't have the sort of jury selection here that they do in America, it must be really hard to find enough jurors at all with all the challenges etc.
HotOrWot
HotOrWot Male
3 months ago
You can serve as a juror with a criminal record as long as any prison sentence was less than five years.

Help with conversations